Chris Martin - joined Reading on loan until the end of the season

DcFc Dyycheee

Regardless of whether he fits out current manager's system or not, the fact that a lot of folk are bad-mouthing a player who's scored a goal of us every 2.89 games, shows what a bunch of miserable, agenda driven ass-hats we have supporting this club.  It isn't his fault he doesn't fit the system, GR has chosen a way to play, and decided who's best to play within it.  That's not the players' fault.  shouldn't we all be slating Anya for not playing more games, or Shackell???  I get why some folk don't like him on a personal level, as his demeanor on the pitch, and the way he plays, can come across as arrogant.  But if there was any question of his attitude, or commitment to the team's cause, GR wouldn't have allowed him anywhere near the 1st team squad, end of...

I for one think he's a brilliant footballer when deployed correctly, and would gladly thank him for his service, and some incredible memories, if I ever happen to bump into him... 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

...CM is a good player he just doesn't fit how Rowett wants to play Its like asking a steeplechaser to win a flat race its not going to happen Its no slight on Martin...But as long as it gives you a chance to have a pop at Rowett it keeps you happy 

So Rowett hadn't figured that out over the summer? All I'm saying is its too much to paint Rowett, as Ninos was doing, as Mr Integrity. That's obviously not how it was - he kept Martin on until he could replace him with Jerome (which he couldn't do when he wanted to last summer). Don't go getting that all mixed up by having a pop at me now Mistaram! ;)

38 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Not sure why you call it a ridiculous contract?

At the time,we needed Martin back in the squad and he was probably the best striker that fitted our system in the championship.

Would you say the same to giving vydra a three year contract on good money as he fits our current system?......And who was certainly not performing at all for the previous two seasons whilst in a system that didn't suit him,don't forget.

Kash  We didn't need to give CM that contract to get him back He was already under contract we chose to give an increased one to ward of Fulham  It was a ridiculous contract to increase it to three years on the salary they have given when he was already contracted to the club  I'm not for one minute having ago at CM he's been good for us but time to move on 

33 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So Rowett hadn't figured that out over the summer? All I'm saying is its too much to paint Rowett, as Ninos was doing, as Mr Integrity. That's obviously not how it was - he kept Martin on until he could replace him with Jerome (which he couldn't do when he wanted to last summer). Don't go getting that all mixed up by having a pop at me now Mistaram! ;)

He obviously didn’t figure it out, which is why we lined up in a 4-3-3, and Martin started for the first few games...

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

Message from Rampage to Chris Martin - stay here, do what you can to help, get a promotion, get a bonus then look to see what you want to do. All other options are not best for you before July.

How could you justify and want the club to keep a player on a reported 50k (min 38k) on the wage bill when he has no part to play under Rowett? Type of decision that bankrupts clubs and fails FFP. We HAVE to get him off the wage bill this month, as those wages can be utilized to bring in quality players who will actually contribute to promotion. This isn't a knock at Martin, who has been a great player for the club, but hasn't looked effective for us since 2015/16 and even then I thought he showed signs of being on the decline.

Take 3 million for him and invest that money on players who can get us where we want to be

2 hours ago, Hathersage Ram said:

Evidence watching him when he has played.  You could say the system doesn't suit him but the first requirement for a professional footballer is the team ethic, I just don't see that in him

I agree. He was even lying down on the job on Saturday when he played that excellent through ball on to Nugent for our third goal.

9 hours ago, rynny said:

Why would McClaren have anything to do with the amount Martin is earning? It is down to chairman, finance exec etc, all the board room people. Mac would have said he wanted him back and asked the board to do what they can to get him back, which included a new contract. They will know how much the club could afford.

Be really daft if he didn’t have an input ,,,, all managers ( except maybe a couple ) will have a budget in terms of transfers and wage bill and they will try to spend it wisely , one player on stupid money will limit the amount of players you can have on sensible money ? Hypothetical figures but do you really believe that rowett would not have a say in splashing out £50 k a week on Martin ?..? Or any real silly amount ,,, as I say perhaps Mel backed Mac and rush and Mac said get me Martin no matter what? And perhaps that was pretty much the proposal for in comings at close season and Mel just pulled the plug? Seems to me that rowett is very much involved alongside Mel in terms of transfer feas and wages and is pulling this club back to sense and sustainability ,,,, i may be wrong but if you are right and Mac had no interest in the wages Martin were given to come back them I’m really even more glad he was outed

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's quite refreshing that @Ninos is balancing you out on this one.

On the one hand we have Mr Integrity, whereas on the other hand we have Mr Useless Scumbucket.

34 minutes ago, Ramdale said:

How could you justify and want the club to keep a player on a reported 50k (min 38k) on the wage bill when he has no part to play under Rowett? Type of decision that bankrupts clubs and fails FFP. We HAVE to get him off the wage bill this month, as those wages can be utilized to bring in quality players who will actually contribute to promotion. This isn't a knock at Martin, who has been a great player for the club, but hasn't looked effective for us since 2015/16 and even then I thought he showed signs of being on the decline.

Take 3 million for him and invest that money on players who can get us where we want to be

Hardly ridiculous if Mac had stayed on this year and Martin had helped the club to promotion under him....would have been lauded as the finest decision since cheesy beans.

And as I said,how many would argue now with extending vydras contract by three years and putting him on improved wages if he does the business this year and helps us get promoted?.....the teams built around him this year,as previously it was around Martin.

10 hours ago, Spanish said:

Not many responses:ermm:

Soz Spanish. I guess being someone who rates Martin a decent striker that makes me a Martinite so I'll endeavour to offer a half sensible reply. In short, I'm not sure there is a role for Chris. I'd thought that him playing with Vyds might be an intriguing option, given a fair run of games, but it's clear that's not in Gaz's mind.

I'd be happy if he stayed as he's a great option to have when we are closing games out but it seems we are paying plenty for that option and how long before Chris himself starts pushing for a move? There's also the possibility that a sale would free up cash for another smart signing; midfield cover, an experienced keeper, an absolute flyer on the wing...

It's a hard call as personally I have a lot of loyalty where the lad's concerned and don't understand why some folk on here are so snidey about him all the time. That said, the current situation doesn't look tenable at all.

15 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Hardly ridiculous if Mac had stayed on this year and Martin had helped the club to promotion under him....would have been lauded as the finest decision since cheesy beans.

And as I said,how many would argue now with extending vydras contract by three years and putting him on improved wages if he does the business this year and helps us get promoted?.....the teams built around him this year,as previously it was around Martin.

Exactly, he isn't helping the club at all right now, so my point is we need to get him off the books at the cots he is to us. I'm not slagging Martin off at all (I like him), but your point about McClaren is completely irrelevant. He isn't here, so just keeping Martin around because he was useful under McClaren is a ludicrous suggestion.

As for Vydra, class act and our best player. Miles better age than Martin so I would be happy to give him an improved contract as he can improve further, but not at 50k a year. Giving a contract extension to a 28 year old out on loan and on the decline was a ridiculous decision.

Archived