Chris Martin - joined Reading on loan until the end of the season

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martin could become a hero at a new club if he bags the goals that keep Sunderland up, but there is the possibility it would be a miserable team to join. Plenty of their fans are resigned to League One next season. I'd be much happier for him if Lambert takes him to Stoke and he scores the goals that keep them in the Premier League. I think he's capable.

It is hard to keep up with this thread, but some have questioned an £8m transfer while others his reported wages. I think £8m is about right given his lack of playing time at Derby. Strikers command fees far in excess of other players. When we gave him the new contract to try to get him back from Fulham, he was very much the missing piece in the jigsaw to get him back and into McClaren's team. His wages will be big. I thought they were roughtly £38k a week big.

Just as Rowett has been reluctant to tinker and so hasn't used Thorne as much as he might have done, the same can be said of Martin. Some on here say he doesn't fit Rowett's system. I'm in the camp that he's the ideal partner for Vydra, but hasn't ever had a chance to demonstrate that. Such a shame when I thought he looked brilliant in pre-season. If only he'd had a couple of goals and Gary had been persuaded to keep him in the team, it might have been different. None of our other forwards have the same ability to take the pressure off our defence by retaining the ball in the opposition third.

But Rowett has done incredibly well and earnt the right to make these calls, and it seems one of those is for Super Chrissy Martin to play elsewhere. The priority in that case is to get the best deal for Derby, but it will have to also be a good deal for Martin or there's no reason for him to go. If he doesn't leave and keeps his head down working hard, I still believe he would have a part to play with us before the season ends. Things can change very quickly in football.

32 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

If it is a loan deal and he is still getting his wages, with the chance to showcase himself with a view to increasing his worth in the summer. I can't see why he would care

maybe his best chance of prem football as I guess he isn't that confident that we will use him in the prem.  I think it would be an awful decision for him as i guess the fans will be expecting a performance (running about chasing everything in the hope of a goal) that gets them out of trouble and his style may not win friends up there.  Cam might have been a better choice for them but he's ours:) 

If he goes hope he does well (for his sake not Sunderland's)

We would be lucky if a club would offer us £4 million never mind £8 million. If he goes on  loan and we can get them to cough up 100% of his wage that would release cash. But Martins value will no doubt diminish while out on loan. Possibly better for him to go complelety and make a fresh start at a new club.

10 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Martin could become a hero at a new club if he bags the goals that keep Sunderland up, but there is the possibility it would be a miserable team to join. Plenty of their fans are resigned to League One next season. I'd be much happier for him if Lambert takes him to Stoke and he scores the goals that keep them in the Premier League. I think he's capable.

Definitely.

He deserves to have a crack at the Prem, he thought it would be with us . Even this season. Rowett has changed his tune from the beginning of the season - might I suggest even strung him along! Perhaps Rowett never wanted Martin at all if as Jerome says he tried to sign him in the summer. I'm sure some fans will say that's to our benefit but then they shouldn't moan if Martin picks up his money and doesn't fancy a relegation threatened loan!

15 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Would really rather sell him that ship him out on loan, yet again. 

But would you pay £8m (reported asking price) for a striker with 1 goal in 25 Championship appearances? 

Agree. We won’t get anywhere near £8m currently. The hope is he goes, regains form, contributes, bangs in goals and then demand is rejuvenated and we can secure a decent transfer fee later. The other hope is that they’ll take on all or close to all of the salary.

so impressed with what Rowett has done with this team - he’s strengthened the defence, the defensive midfield, galvanised the most creative lethal  striker we’ve seen at Derby in a many a moon, got Thorne back up and running, made Weimann useful, and made the rest of the league pay attention and fear us - all the time respecting the integrity of each player - including Martin who doesn’t fit and he will let make Martin make the decision here. And I think we are in for a big surprise with CJ who will provide GR an alternate, exciting, partner for Vydra.

Very happy days as it’s all the right moves leading to all the right results. 

It was reported at the time Martin’s new contract is £30,000 p/w. The hilarity regarding this is that Fulham weren’t willing to pay him this had he signed permanently but they were forced to once he signed his contract.

Bryson is on £20,000 p/w and became our top earner post Wembley. 

No way have we anybody on anywhere near £50,000 p/w.

Just now, Ninos said:

...- all the time respecting the integrity of each player - including Martin who doesn’t fit and he will let make Martin make the decision here.

Errr yeah right. He never wanted Martin as can be seen by signing first Winnall and now Jerome (who he tried to sign in the summer). But of course Rowetts integrity allowed him to tell Martin he was part of his plans and keep him here, just in case. I think you need to look up 'integrity'. Rowett might have done it for the clubs good but they are two different things!

20 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

It is hard to keep up with this thread, but some have questioned an £8m transfer while others his reported wages. I think £8m is about right given his lack of playing time at Derby. Strikers command fees far in excess of other players. When we gave him the new contract to try to get him back from Fulham, he was very much the missing piece in the jigsaw to get him back and into McClaren's team. His wages will be big. I thought they were roughtly £38k a week big.

Just as Rowett has been reluctant to tinker and so hasn't used Thorne as much as he might have done, the same can be said of Martin. Some on here say he doesn't fit Rowett's system. I'm in the camp that he's the ideal partner for Vydra, but hasn't ever had a chance to demonstrate that. Such a shame when I thought he looked brilliant in pre-season. If only he'd had a couple of goals and Gary had been persuaded to keep him in the team, it might have been different. None of our other forwards have the same ability to take the pressure off our defence by retaining the ball in the opposition third.

But Rowett has done incredibly well and earnt the right to make these calls, and it seems one of those is for Super Chrissy Martin to play elsewhere. The priority in that case is to get the best deal for Derby, but it will have to also be a good deal for Martin or there's no reason for him to go. If he doesn't leave and keeps his head down working hard, I still believe he would have a part to play with us before the season ends. Things can change very quickly in football.

Good post, I think there’s a lot to suggest that Rowett never really had a ‘plan’ about his strike force, more that he knew early on what he has with Vydra/Nugent and decided to play it safe rather than trying to integrate the others. It’s been very harsh but you can see the reasoning (even if it worries me long term).

Heres what makes me laugh though

Norwich fans to Jerome- ‘cheers mate, did great for us, good luck in the future’

Derby fans to Martin after scoring  - ‘boo! get him gone! Not worth £8mill! On the decline! Can’t even offloud him! Would never be in the Prem!’

You know because we are classy and definently don’t have short term memories...

12 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Yes your probably right I would imaging Sky sport news BBC sport,  Hitc  Yorkshire Post all made it up 

Possible that one of them made it up or got sold duff info, and they all picked i up from there.

I remember listening to a piece on Talksport by Mickey Gray a few months back where he was saying the interest payments on a loan Sunderland had were taking all their cash so I very much doubt they will give us 8 quid let alone 8 million,we’ll probably get offered Jack Rodwell if we take his 70k wages on ?

4 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Surely loan is better than selling. When Rowett gets sacked and Mac comes back, we'll need Martin!

You little tease, you!

The figures quoted remind me of my wife's ex, a Walter Mitty character if ever there was one. The trick is, whatever figure he quotes, halve it.

As for a move to Sunderland, surely he was fretting about his family in Derby when at Fulham. Damned sight harder to get from Sunderland than Fulham I'd have thought. Still, his choice in the end.

6 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Surely loan is better than selling. When Rowett gets sacked and Mac comes back, we'll need Martin!

You’re right Martin and Bryson will be back for the start of next season after Rowett’s second half of the season slump sees him sacked.

In preparation for Mac 3 we should probably get rid of the deadwood like Vydra in advance.

Archived