Did we save Newcastle 1 Million pounds by re employing McClaren

Curtains

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, curtains said:

Big question for Derby fans on this forum why so much loyalty for McClaren over the years .

Must be the luckiest manager ever to have this backing. 

Maybe he he will come back  to Derby for a 5th time. 

it's not loyalty, it's 'fairness', assuming you talk about me.

McClaren had plenty of faults, but hes been our best manager this century.

Rowett could, and may do better over the next few years, and yes, I hope he will be, but I'm not going to pretend McClaren was rubbish for Derby just cos he never got to finish the job off.

Swings and roundabouts, I believe we didn't have to pay compensation last time we sacked him as he took the job with newcastle.

As has been said pearsons compo must be a fair wack, but hopefully thats the end of the manager merry go round and we stick with Rowett.

18 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

it's not loyalty, it's 'fairness', assuming you talk about me.

McClaren had plenty of faults, but hes been our best manager this century.

Rowett could, and may do better over the next few years, and yes, I hope he will be, but I'm not going to pretend McClaren was rubbish for Derby just cos he never got to finish the job off.

Was just talking in general to be honest.

Fair point that but we are coming from polar opposites as I wouldn't have trusted McClaren with next season fair or not. 

So I think Mel Morris has ultimately made the right decision especially as Gary Rowett was probably hot property and him going to another club would have been very irritating to me and I would imagine Mel. 

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

You mean make it difficult for you to answer? You change your mind as often as folk draw their curtains. Rowett is the current flavour of the month for you.

You can insult me as much as you like it's like water off a ducks back to me  .

Gary Rowett was hot property as an up an coming young manager and I think Mel Morris has made the right decision for DCFC .

1 minute ago, GboroRam said:

I hope fans don't turn against him after a poor run. Because there will be a poor run.

Sooner or later.

I think the unfortunate thing for McClaren was it looked like history repeating and we were having a second meltdown under him. Although having watched Arsenal with much mirth on monday, seems Wenger can't arrest a slide either and their fans have most turned.

16 minutes ago, curtains said:

You can insult me as much as you like it's like water off a ducks back to me  .

Gary Rowett was hot property as an up an coming young manager and I think Mel Morris has made the right decision for DCFC .

Given Macs' inability to stop the slide into mid-table mediocrity having rescued us from the Pearson disaster, I totally agree with  the decision to secure Rowett when he became available. What I don't understand, now the decision has been made, why some find it necessary to go over old ground ad infinitum.

It doesn't achieve anything so is completely futile. 

7 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Given Macs' inability to stop the slide into mid-table mediocrity having rescued us from the Pearson disaster, I totally agree with  the decision to secure Rowett when he became available. What I don't understand, now the decision has been made, why some find it necessary to go over old ground ad infinitum.

It doesn't achieve anything so is completely futile. 

It's a forum to discuss Football things and this is Rams Talk. 

I get the impression some people don't like to talk about what has immediately happened at DCFC like compensation or manager changes etc. 

I don't kick off when people want to discuss which player is better than the other and who is worth more than the other and who is going to be bought or sold etc etc. 

To me some posters just want me to shut up and so the insults start not by many I might add. 

I only answer when people ask me questions or quote me. 

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I asked how long would you give Rowett when things got  tough for him - you didn't answer, I don't want you to shut up!

Fair enough .

I would like Rowett to be given 3 years minimum but as we all know results and how the club is run generally dictates how long a manager gets. 

Football is a results business in many ways but  also unforeseen circumstances can also get managers sacked. 

But 3 years minimum would seem about right waiting for success. 

3 hours ago, curtains said:

Big question for Derby fans on this forum why so much loyalty for McClaren over the years .

Must be the luckiest manager ever to have this backing. 

Maybe he he will come back  to Derby for a 5th time. 

This is why

Derby have not won more games than they lost since promotion. It's now 2013. McClaren comes in, leads Derby to their two highest finishes, sets a handful of records. Wins a handful of games by scoring 5 including the 5-0 win over Forest. Leads Derby to a Play Off Final. 

Leaves with a 53% win ratio. Winning 51 and losing just 22 of his 95 matches. 

Derby are struggling in the Championship. Only 1 win in their opening 9 league games. They stumble past Grimsby and Carlisle. They loaned out their top scorer and are the lowest scorers in England and Scotland. They aren't playing well and the play offs look like they've been lost already.

McClaren comes in. Derby instantly shoot up the league recording wins over Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday and Norwich. They get within a handful of points of the play offs. 

By the time McClaren is sacked Derby have shot up the league and now have a positive goal difference. They dump WBA out the FA Cup and take Leicester to extra time in a replay. 

He's sacked with 13 wins and 9 defeats from his 29 games. 

Loyalty? I'm not loyal to any one person in football. My favourite player for Derby is Will Hughes. If he signs for Forest then I hope he loses every game. There's no loyalty to McClaren from me.

But I am fair. Or try to be. For me McClaren took an average Championship side and made it a top one. Then he took a struggling Championship side and made it a midtable one. I don't call him down for that. I haven't got a crystal ball so I don't judge the future. And unlike some people I don't reinvent the past. I don't care how he did in Germany or Holland. I've seen what he did for Derby and I'm OK with that. 

I don't get this obsession with people. There's a couple that have one with Chris Martin. 

If somebody does well for Derby then I forgive some shortcomings and praise them. I'd defend them against those that reinvent the past and think the grass is always greener. If they've followed football a while then they should know better. 

The main thing is, I support Derby County. A 2nd tier side. You can nearly always find my team in the 2nd tier. They've won nothing in my lifetime. They've spent less time in the top flight than Wigan and Fulham. They're less successful than Hull City, Swansea City and Stoke City. I'm 31.

Some people support Derby County, Champions of England. And anyone who's joined the club in my lifetime they see as a failure.

34 minutes ago, Alpha said:

This is why

Derby have not won more games than they lost since promotion. It's now 2013. McClaren comes in, leads Derby to their two highest finishes, sets a handful of records. Wins a handful of games by scoring 5 including the 5-0 win over Forest. Leads Derby to a Play Off Final. 

Leaves with a 53% win ratio. Winning 51 and losing just 22 of his 95 matches. 

Derby are struggling in the Championship. Only 1 win in their opening 9 league games. They stumble past Grimsby and Carlisle. They loaned out their top scorer and are the lowest scorers in England and Scotland. They aren't playing well and the play offs look like they've been lost already.

McClaren comes in. Derby instantly shoot up the league recording wins over Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday and Norwich. They get within a handful of points of the play offs. 

By the time McClaren is sacked Derby have shot up the league and now have a positive goal difference. They dump WBA out the FA Cup and take Leicester to extra time in a replay. 

He's sacked with 13 wins and 9 defeats from his 29 games. 

Loyalty? I'm not loyal to any one person in football. My favourite player for Derby is Will Hughes. If he signs for Forest then I hope he loses every game. There's no loyalty to McClaren from me.

But I am fair. Or try to be. For me McClaren took an average Championship side and made it a top one. Then he took a struggling Championship side and made it a midtable one. I don't call him down for that. I haven't got a crystal ball so I don't judge the future. And unlike some people I don't reinvent the past. I don't care how he did in Germany or Holland. I've seen what he did for Derby and I'm OK with that. 

I don't get this obsession with people. There's a couple that have one with Chris Martin. 

If somebody does well for Derby then I forgive some shortcomings and praise them. I'd defend them against those that reinvent the past and think the grass is always greener. If they've followed football a while then they should know better. 

The main thing is, I support Derby County. A 2nd tier side. You can nearly always find my team in the 2nd tier. They've won nothing in my lifetime. They've spent less time in the top flight than Wigan and Fulham. They're less successful than Hull City, Swansea City and Stoke City. I'm 31.

Some people support Derby County, Champions of England. And anyone who's joined the club in my lifetime they see as a failure.

I like what you said. But i disagree. I always see Derby as a sexy side that knows what football is about and the fans crave it- hence the eternal love for William. We like football, good football and always have. Other fans see us as sleeping giants and have nothing but good words about us and our fans. I wouldn't be so tough. It's not really about how high you get in the league, it's about overcoming adversityb and how you do it. And we have been fine so far. The Smith days were epic. And we were the taste of England under Steve that season that brought everyone out of the woodwork. So don't be too harsh. I travel the world, and people always know about Derby and Clough. Xxx

3 hours ago, curtains said:

Fair enough .

I would like Rowett to be given 3 years minimum but as we all know results and how the club is run generally dictates how long a manager gets. 

Football is a results business in many ways but  also unforeseen circumstances can also get managers sacked. 

But 3 years minimum would seem about right waiting for success. 

Three years? You are having a laugh. McClaren had 20 weeks yet you were quite happy for him to go. In any event ten poor games is all the owner seems to need to get rid.

The second half last Saturday showed all the faults seen through the season and Rowett has a massive job on his hands if he is to survive 12 months.

8 hours ago, curtains said:

I would like Rowett to be given 3 years minimum

WOW, just WOW. 

Just to repeat my stance on this, if you believe Rowett should be given 3 years, surely you'd give a man with >50% win rate similar?

It's not insulting, it's factual, to call you a hypocrite.

53 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

WOW, just WOW. 

Just to repeat my stance on this, if you believe Rowett should be given 3 years, surely you'd give a man with >50% win rate similar?

It's not insulting, it's factual, to call you a hypocrite.

McClaren had more than enough chances. 

No one can accuse Mel Morris of anything else other than making a mistake by giving him another go . 

I was asked how long an up and coming manager should be given and I said 3 years .

5 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

Three years? You are having a laugh. McClaren had 20 weeks yet you were quite happy for him to go. In any event ten poor games is all the owner seems to need to get rid.

The second half last Saturday showed all the faults seen through the season and Rowett has a massive job on his hands if he is to survive 12 months.

As I said I wouldn't have liked a McClaren to have another transfer window .

Mel had to move fast to get Gary Rowett as we would have missed out. 

Everyone always says it at the start of a manager's reign. 

When Mac came in the team were people saying that all they want is to be pulled away from the relegation zone and then start preparing for next season. But then things changed and they will for Rowett.

Give Rowett time to get his team together. Then let him have a couple of stabs at promotion. 3 years? I'm OK with that. But as soon as he's not new and shiny and he has a bad run then people will question whether he should be here for another week never mind 3 years!!

And it likely won't be those "Mac loyalists" that are quick to jump on Rowett. Because they are only "loyal" to Mac because they saw relative success in his time here. They live in a world where Derby are a 2nd tier side and have no right to be above Wigan. Where winning 50% of your games in a season is difficult. Where gaining 70 points is a pretty good season. Their expectations are lower. That's why they are pleased with McClaren and likewise will not expect unfairly from Rowett.

Expectation shouldn't be confused with ambition either for those who might say it's a "small time mentality"

If you keep mixing ambition up with expectation then you will always be disappointed. 

Archived