Did we save Newcastle 1 Million pounds by re employing McClaren

Curtains

7 hours ago, Alpha said:

This is why

Derby have not won more games than they lost since promotion. It's now 2013. McClaren comes in, leads Derby to their two highest finishes, sets a handful of records. Wins a handful of games by scoring 5 including the 5-0 win over Forest. Leads Derby to a Play Off Final. 

Leaves with a 53% win ratio. Winning 51 and losing just 22 of his 95 matches. 

Derby are struggling in the Championship. Only 1 win in their opening 9 league games. They stumble past Grimsby and Carlisle. They loaned out their top scorer and are the lowest scorers in England and Scotland. They aren't playing well and the play offs look like they've been lost already.

McClaren comes in. Derby instantly shoot up the league recording wins over Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday and Norwich. They get within a handful of points of the play offs. 

By the time McClaren is sacked Derby have shot up the league and now have a positive goal difference. They dump WBA out the FA Cup and take Leicester to extra time in a replay. 

He's sacked with 13 wins and 9 defeats from his 29 games. 

Loyalty? I'm not loyal to any one person in football. My favourite player for Derby is Will Hughes. If he signs for Forest then I hope he loses every game. There's no loyalty to McClaren from me.

But I am fair. Or try to be. For me McClaren took an average Championship side and made it a top one. Then he took a struggling Championship side and made it a midtable one. I don't call him down for that. I haven't got a crystal ball so I don't judge the future. And unlike some people I don't reinvent the past. I don't care how he did in Germany or Holland. I've seen what he did for Derby and I'm OK with that. 

I don't get this obsession with people. There's a couple that have one with Chris Martin. 

If somebody does well for Derby then I forgive some shortcomings and praise them. I'd defend them against those that reinvent the past and think the grass is always greener. If they've followed football a while then they should know better. 

The main thing is, I support Derby County. A 2nd tier side. You can nearly always find my team in the 2nd tier. They've won nothing in my lifetime. They've spent less time in the top flight than Wigan and Fulham. They're less successful than Hull City, Swansea City and Stoke City. I'm 31.

Some people support Derby County, Champions of England. And anyone who's joined the club in my lifetime they see as a failure.

Not an obsession wanting DCFC to do well. 

McClaren has had his chances .

No way do I feel sorry for him .

I am Happy with Mels decision to appoint Gary Rowett.

I can't help I'm over twice the age you are and have seen success at Derby 

I want success for DCFC again and IMO McClaren would not have delivered it. 

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, curtains said:

That pretty much confirms I'm wasting my time trying to explain my point. 

You have either not read my post or you're not interested in understanding the points i'm making.

I'm out.

6 minutes ago, Alpha said:

That pretty much confirms I'm wasting my time trying to explain my point. 

You have either not read my post or you're not interested in understanding the points i'm making.

I'm out.

I have read the monologue as always. 

Its biased towards McClaren. 

Why so quick to answer me you missed the other points about I can't help the fact you have seen no success at Derby and I have .

You missed the fact I want Success for DCFC again and I don't think McClaren will deliver it  

Oh ok see you then .

14 minutes ago, curtains said:

I can't help I'm over twice the age you are and have seen success at Derby 

I want success for DCFC again and IMO McClaren would not have delivered it. 

20 minutes ago, curtains said:

McClaren had more than enough chances. 

No one can accuse Mel Morris of anything else other than making a mistake by giving him another go . 

I was asked how long an up and coming manager should be given and I said 3 years .

define the "chances" that McClaren had!

If Rowett was sacked at the end of this season, he'd have had the same 'chance' as McClaren (this season). If Rowett gets sacked end of next season, he'd have had the same 'chance' as McClaren's first spell.

I know I'm flogging a dead horse with you as you're incapable of absorbing and retaining facts, but the facts are that McClaren never got the chance to spend the money that has been spent on this squad. He build a competitive and entertaining team that flirted with the top of the championship, bought 1000s of fans back, and took us to Wembley using loan signings and cheaps/freebies. He had ONE, yes I repeat again, ONE full season, where he got a pre-season and a summer transfer window, but no real money to spend. At the end of the season, he would've continued to shape the squad in the same mould, but was sacked.

If that was a chance, then you don't understand the meaning of the word.

Sith Happens
14 minutes ago, curtains said:

I have read the monologue as always. 

Its biased towards McClaren. 

Why so quick to answer me you missed the other points about I can't help the fact you have seen no success at Derby and I have .

You missed the fact I want Success for DCFC again and I don't think McClaren will deliver it  

Oh ok see you then .

He's not biased, he's stating a fact that overall in his two spells at Derby, mcclarens record is OK. 

Maybe he wouldn't have brought success, we will never know now. Its OK for people to say they think he would, just as you say he wouldn't, its opinions and no one will be able to prove it now.

I personally feel having brought him in a second time he should have been afforded more time, I don't feel sorry though...I wouldn't mind being in his position.

We don't know if rowett will bring success, he may do, we may get relegated...who knows, no one yet. We all hope he does.

11 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

define the "chances" that McClaren had!

If Rowett was sacked at the end of this season, he'd have had the same 'chance' as McClaren (this season). If Rowett gets sacked end of next season, he'd have had the same 'chance' as McClaren's first spell.

I know I'm flogging a dead horse with you as you're incapable of absorbing and retaining facts, but the facts are that McClaren never got the chance to spend the money that has been spent on this squad. He build a competitive and entertaining team that flirted with the top of the championship, bought 1000s of fans back, and took us to Wembley using loan signings and cheaps/freebies. He had ONE, yes I repeat again, ONE full season, where he got a pre-season and a summer transfer window, but no real money to spend. At the end of the season, he would've continued to shape the squad in the same mould, but was sacked.

If that was a chance, then you don't understand the meaning of the word.

Flogging a dead horse now that's a good one. 

Mostyn you think that just because McClaren got Cloughs team to play better to reach the playoff final and lose to 10 men that was good enough. 

The following season we failed .

Mel Morris had him back after sacking him even though he failed badly at Newcastle and yes Derby improved again for a sustained period but then what happened you tell me .

Now Mel Morris saw this and thought if I don't go For Rowett we are stuck with McClaren .

I know what decision I would of took. 

Mostyn niether you or I knows what happens in regards to other aspects of the football club ie scouting for players , general well being of players and the Academy .

Mel Morris knows more than you or i about this. 

Players are much happier with Gary Rowett. FACT  

10 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

He's not biased, he's stating a fact that overall in his two spells at Derby, mcclarens record is OK. 

Maybe he wouldn't have brought success, we will never know now. Its OK for people to say they think he would, just as you say he wouldn't, its opinions and no one will be able to prove it now.

I personally feel having brought him in a second time he should have been afforded more time, I don't feel sorry though...I wouldn't mind being in his position.

We don't know if rowett will bring success, he may do, we may get relegated...who knows, no one yet. We all hope he does.

But you equally don't know if remaining with McClaren would have resulted in expensive failure do you .

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, curtains said:

But you equally don't know if remaining with McClaren would have resulted in expensive failure do you .

Exactly but neither do you.

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, curtains said:

It's an opinion and every Football Fan has one .

The chairman/owners are not afforded that luxury they have to get it right. 

Look at Coventry City. 

Yes that was exactly my point we all have our opinions and we can discuss it forever and a day, but he's gone and no one can prove it now one way or another.

5 minutes ago, curtains said:

It's an opinion and every Football Fan has one .

The chairman/owners are not afforded that luxury they have to get it right. 

Look at Coventry City. 

Unless McClaren was planning on selling Pride Park to a 3rd party who would charge us more rent per game than we could possibly cover with ticket sales then looking at Coventry won't tell us much.

6 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Yes that was exactly my point we all have our opinions and we can discuss it forever and a day, but he's gone and no one can prove it now one way or another.

I agree with you totally.

Mel Morris gets hammered by some but it's his responsibility to get it right. 

Football fans can come or go and say this or that but ultimately it's how the club is perceived and how successful they are that counts .

If Mel had to make a change he did it for a reason and that was not easy for him  .

5 minutes ago, Anon said:

Unless McClaren was planning on selling Pride Park to a 3rd party who would charge us more rent per game than we could possibly cover with ticket sales then looking at Coventry won't tell us much.

We could have been like Coventry as I believe there was talk of a takeover at Derby by a consortium that ultimately went to Coventry.

Correct me if I'm wrong. 

13 minutes ago, curtains said:

We could have been like Coventry as I believe there was talk of a takeover at Derby by a consortium that ultimately went to Coventry.

Correct me if I'm wrong. 

No, you're right. What does that have to do with McClaren or the chairman's choice of manager?

15 minutes ago, Anon said:

No, you're right. What does that have to do with McClaren or the chairman's choice of manager?

Wrong decisions can lead to ultimate failure.  

Question for you 

Did McClaren use the Academy players  much in the first 11. 

Was he big on bringing players through or did he prefer loans like Lingard etc 

Did he play Vydra on the wing for a reason ! 

59 minutes ago, curtains said:

Mostyn you think that just because McClaren got Cloughs team to play better to reach the playoff final and lose to 10 men that was good enough. 

So when we lost 3-0 to Burnley or 3-0 to Reading in those home games, or when we were losing to forest did you think that the team would finish 3rd with the highest point total we had ever got, top scorers in the league and make the play off final? Would it have been good enough with Clough and finish 10th again with as many loses as wins?

From where we started that season to where we finished it was a good season, and although I was angry walking down the steps at Wembley that we didn't step our game up to the max, I was damn proud to have even been there.

7 minutes ago, curtains said:

Oh he didn't say I like playing down the middle then lol. 

It is in one of Mac's interviews where he has said Vydra knocked on his door and asked to be played left wing.

So why did Rowett play him left wing for most of the game against Forest? 

1 minute ago, rynny said:

It is in one of Mac's interviews where he has said Vydra knocked on his door and asked to be played left wing.

So why did Rowett play him left wing for most of the game against Forest? 

Hasn't since.

It was his first game as manager of Derby. 

Vydra scored in the centre of the goal against Forest from a Russell cross from the left.

Archived