Martin and Hughes

Spenno

I was impressed with the shape and work ethic of the team last night. I thought two of the key strengths was the closing from the front which to me nugent did a fantastic job along with Russell and vydra and the energy and physicality of Bryson and Johnson in midfield. Assuming that this is how rowett would like us to play I can't see how Hughes or Martin would fit that system or style of play. To me rowett appears to be a manager who is concerned with the best team not trying to fit in the best players. Does anyone else think rowett might cash in on Hughes and Martin this summer?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Spenno said:

I was impressed with the shape and work ethic of the team last night. I thought two of the key strengths was the closing from the front which to me nugent did a fantastic job along with Russell and vydra and the energy and physicality of Bryson and Johnson in midfield. Assuming that this is how rowett would like us to play I can't see how Hughes or Martin would fit that system or style of play. To me rowett appears to be a manager who is concerned with the best team not trying to fit in the best players. Does anyone else think rowett might cash in on Hughes and Martin this summer?

Hughes likely, Martin no.

Agree with the rest though..... think we as fans get hung up on players first, then trying to shoehorn the rest of the team around said players.....

Adapt and evolve. You make a very wise point.

For me, i think Hughes is our best player, not sure whats happened of late to him, maybe Schteve just p!ssed him off and he is/was looking to go, i hope GR can re invigorate the kid and changes his mind as he can see and make those early defense splitting passes that Vydra/Nugent can thrive off... as energy and physicality wont always win you games against better teams, sometimes you need someone who can open doors like Hughes. Martin, i used to be a huge fan of his guile, but ive heard  too many negatives about the lad of late, and for me he can go sadly, altho he would be a useful sub for certain situations, and being on the bench may lessen his hubris... just my opinion

Hughes? 

He is better at tackling than Bryson and he also covers the pitch. Last month it was Bryson that people were talking about selling. Hughes probably does more pressing than Johnson

If Rowett decides to cash in then it won't be because he doesn't fit. 

15 minutes ago, nfb said:

For me, i think Hughes is our best player, not sure whats happened of late to him, maybe Schteve just p!ssed him off and he is/was looking to go, i hope GR can re invigorate the kid and changes his mind as he can see and make those early defense splitting passes that Vydra/Nugent can thrive off...  Martin, i used to be a huge fan of his guile, but ive heard  too many negatives about the lad of late, and for me he can go sadly, altho he would be a useful sub for certain situations...

I agree that Hughes is certainly our best player but I'm not sure he fits the style of play. He's more of a continental keep possession ticking over type of player whereas I think we'll play a lot more direct and I don't quite see where he would fit with that. 9 million would be too much to turn down for an impact sub and it would be funny if we can force fulham to take Martin and they're stuck with a player they don't want and have to pay us for the privelege!

The fastest attacking football we've seen since Burley came with Martin and Hughes. 

Both are capable of moving the ball quick. Hughes only keeps us ticking over when it takes people like Pearce and Shackell 6 months to pick a pass and you end up getting bogged down. Also Mac and Clement wanted more control.

Thinking fast has never been a problem for either. 

From what Rowett has said recently, i can't see him letting Martin go.

Watched his interview when I got in last, he was saying we need more height in the team, and can't remember the exact words but he mentioned not having a big target man in the team.

Come the summer he will have one of best in the championship for free.

On Hughes, for me he is to good to get rid of. Not had his best season but plenty more to come from him. Depends if Rowett wants to keep him or cash in for 10 million plus. He's got to be worth that much hasn't he?

Under recent managers, the defensive midfielder(s) were crucial as we didn't press or defend as a team and it was often them who were first to engage the oppo when they had the ball. Also, as we were always so deep when on the ball, they were always receiving it in our own half.

If last night is anything to go by, then I think Hughes could play as one of the two deeper midfielders. He's got loads of energy, is a great tackler and is our best player on the ball. Johnson and Bryson both did great last night, but longer term Hughes and Thorne could be devastating there. Both playing longer, incisive balls through to Martin who lays it off for other forwards to score.

Although people would then moan that Hughes wasn't getting any assists and Martin wasn't scoring.

Martin next year will be a great asset especially when we have nugent to work with him or to replace him as and when it is needed.

hughes meanwhile well he has had a poor season like many and currently needs to win a place in the team and keep it, the likes of Johnson has to play in the championship due to us being generally rather tiny if we had the likes of Thorne and Hendrick then not so important but we don't so he plays.

It'll do Hughes no harm whatsoever to have limited game time for the rest of this season. With the Euro u21 championship this summer, he'll be having yet another shortened summer.

The simple fact is he's not been playing well enough in the last month or two, and in these last 2 games Bryson & Johnson have done more than enough to keep the shirts. This doesn't mean Hughes doesn't figure in Gaz's plans.

Another thread to slag off Martin - based on spurious arguments. Martin is not as fast as Nugent but he his better at holding the ball and also linking with other players , like Vydra.

Whatever we think of the improved performance last night, things aren't sorted yet, and last night's team wont be the starting team for next season.

Hughes struggles because he hasn't got others around him who are on the same wavelength or able to play the snappy first time passes. We have honest battlers in midfield who aren't technically gifted. 

I still think there's room for Hughes in our side. It's Ince I think we might cash in on. And there are others in the squad we could ship out. 

Martin?

Depends on him really.How much does he want it? That's Rowett's challenge and I trust him to find out. 

I just hope he doesn't react to the players saying either 'he's beastly to us' or 'he's our chum'. 

We've had too much of that nonsense.

As has often been mentioned re Hughes and indeed Thorne I'd be concerned over their fitness. Time will tell but whether GR can factor in that time is another matter. If they continue to be plagued by injuries then they will be of little use to us. It's really sad to see talented footballers never reach their potential due to injury. Maybe  the physio and gym work will be altered to help them. Remember Mark Wright barely suffering injury with us (he'd had that broken leg too) but was out quite a lot at Liverpool if my dodgy memory serves me. 

22 minutes ago, Ilsonram12 said:

Think Hughes will be the sacrificial lamb to A assist with the FFP like Jeff and B give rowett funds to buy players

I think if GR watches the U21 game v Denmark where Hughes was captain then he'll be here for the long haul, but will be made to work for it.

PistoldPete2

I think martin is a good target man altho he isn't that tall or good in the air.. He uses  his body to shield the ball. Dunno what to make of rowetts quotes.. He likes quick chasing players but says we don't have many big players. Big players are not that great at fast play. 

Anyway, we have  players coming back who will add height... Martin, shackell and forsyth ( tall for a full back). 

Both Hughes and Martin will fit into a fast and energetic pressing side. I don't see any evidence to suggest they wouldn't. Both are quick thinkers and both have the energy and drive to press as part of a pack. People suggesting Martin can't press are largely basing it on his performance under Clement when there was half a pitch between him and the rest of the team. It's not comparable to the last 1 1/2 games under Rowett.

Hughes has been out of form lately and injured. I don't think we should read too much into GR's first two selections to be honest. I think he'll change up on Tuesday and a couple of others will have their chance. Healthy competition. I doubt we'll see an exodus of the core, unless we see a big money bid for Hughes, just a trimming of the fringe players and ones that really don't fit the style of play.

Hughes and Martin to stay and earn their place.

Both will stay imo, like rowett said different games require different players and systems, and we'll see that here. Some games we need energy in midfield, some games we need control, that's where Hughes and Martin come in. Martin will return not as the absolute key man he was before, but as a very strong option competing with Nugent, and that can only be good for the team

2 hours ago, DRBee said:

Another thread to slag off Martin - based on spurious arguments. Martin is not as fast as Nugent but he his better at holding the ball and also linking with other players , like Vydra.

Whatever we think of the improved performance last night, things aren't sorted yet, and last night's team wont be the starting team for next season.

Don't know whether your jesting or not. I'm seeing a perfectly reasonable debate.

Think it's a good problem to have.... and currently I'd rather have Martin and Nugent fighting for that place up top.

Martin technique is better..... Nugent is better at bullying and harassing.... and defending from the front..... Vydra will thrive off both. 

Archived