Martin and Hughes

Spenno

3 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

That's a good point. I think butters get a lot of critics because he can do better - although if he plays on the wing ever again I'll give up!

Another thought with Hughes - could he play in the middle of the 3 in 4-2-3-1? He probably has the tenacity to do it.

I think will could do well there with one reservation. It seems that his improved strength and tackling has been at the expense of his shooting intent. I'd really like to see Will with a bit more of the goal hungry AM about him and centre of the 3 could be an option. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, archied said:

Martin is coming back by all accounts but I don't think it's as an automatic starter , there no doubt he's good at this level and has some very good qualities , I'm not sure if he will be a bit too static for rowett in a lot of games and by that I mean I not sure he can pull defenders around the way nugent does and that couple with the interchanging of those around him with real pace will I believe start to produce goals , Hughes is our best player technical player but I think it's clear that more than one of our recent managers are looking for more from him to earn his place in the team, that has to be saying something and hopefully Hughes will hear it

I like the underlying thought in your post and agree about Martin and starting. (Or not) For me, Martin's mobility isn't always the key question. I think a clever manager picks a team depending, to a certain extent, on the oposition. If they have lumbering centre backs then Martin will do a great job, he'll stand up to them, draw fouls and so on. If the oposition have more mobile centre backs then you might need a Nuge to pull them out of position ? 

Hughes + new contract = performance dips

Vardy + new contract = performance dips

Mahrez + new contract = performance dips

Sanchez + no new contract + gets the arse = performance dips

Ozil + no new contract + gets the arse = performance dips

Chairman/Owner + players = cannot win

Who wants be an owner= bumps feeling :ph34r:

On 4/1/2017 at 08:17, Spenno said:

I agree that Hughes is certainly our best player but I'm not sure he fits the style of play. He's more of a continental keep possession ticking over type of player whereas I think we'll play a lot more direct and I don't quite see where he would fit with that. 9 million would be too much to turn down for an impact sub and it would be funny if we can force fulham to take Martin and they're stuck with a player they don't want and have to pay us for the privelege!

If Hughes goes for £9m the entire fan base would riot!!!

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

If Hughes goes for £9m the entire fan base would riot!!!

Sorry I wasn't clear I was responding to a point about Martin being an impact sub not Hughes. I'm a massive fan of both players and I hope they both feature significantly in his plans. I just wonder whether rowett is pragmatic and brave enough that if the players don't suit the style of play or work hard enough for the team he will cash them in in order to build a squad in his vision whoever they are. 

On 01/04/2017 at 23:48, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Not an automatic starter?....

God bless Nugent,I love him but compared to Martin,there's no contest in terms of goals or assist play.

Sorry but I don't think Martin should be an automatic starter ,, I do think him coming back and being in our squad competing for a slot will be good if he buys into rowett,in fact no player should be or feel an automatic pick

3 hours ago, Spenno said:

Sorry I wasn't clear I was responding to a point about Martin being an impact sub not Hughes. I'm a massive fan of both players and I hope they both feature significantly in his plans. I just wonder whether rowett is pragmatic and brave enough that if the players don't suit the style of play or work hard enough for the team he will cash them in in order to build a squad in his vision whoever they are. 

you can be as brave and pragmatic as you like but if the players dont buy into it your gone at this club

11 hours ago, barnsley ram said:

you can be as brave and pragmatic as you like but if the players dont buy into it your gone at this club

True, however I think player power exists at every club. For me one of the most important things in management is striking the balance between having authority over the players and keeping them happy and motivated - not an easy task when you are dealing with a bunch of ego's the size of cruise ships. I think our problems this season have stemmed from Pearson initially trying to fix a few cracks with a sledge hammer and then Mac who seems to want to be everyone's friend too much - this is alright until things start to go wrong. I hope Rowett can keep the distance between himself and the players he certainly seems to have a way about him which makes me feel confident he can do this and still inspire performances on the pitch and they certainly looked like they were working hard for him on Friday. Early days and tonight will be a massive test.

14 hours ago, Spenno said:

I get you.  I don't think it's a case of being brave.  If Mel's given him carte blanch to rework the squad, and Martin doesn't tow the line, he's gone.  Hopefully that counts for anyone else...

On 2.4.2017 at 00:48, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Not an automatic starter?....

God bless Nugent,I love him but compared to Martin,there's no contest in terms of goals or assist play.

Martin was custom built for the horrid system McClaren employed.

Theres no guarantee Martin will be able to do what Rowett will ask of him. Given that Nugent is a permanent deal and not a loan, I can see him having every chance of being more suitable than Martin.

AS soon as the goals dryed up in the autumn under Clement, and we tryed a few different variations offensively, Martin got found out as the immobile guy he was up top.

Wasnt until Wassall took the helm and we reverted to the McClaren style that martin found his feet again.

Horrid system? How would you describe the decade of formations and styles by managers that left here with worse records and lower finishes than McClaren?

Explain the bit regarding Clement and Martin getting found out. As I remember it we barely created chances as a team and we played 433 after trialing different systems at the start of the season?

The fastest football we have played was mutually beneficial between Derby and Martin. His quick thinking and minimal touches moving faster than anybody can run. And runners like Bryson benefitted from his intelligence as Martin benefitted from Bryson's eagerness to support quickly and provide mobility. That's a partnership. You want those all over the pitch. A team of Lionel Messi's would not be a good team

33 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Horrid system? How would you describe the decade of formations and styles by managers that left here with worse records and lower finishes than McClaren?

You're forgetting that a season and a half of great football under McClaren created a sense of unrealistic expectation from some fans.

Also the same fans think McClaren was incapable of getting his team to play entertaining, winning football, despite him being the reason fans expect entertaining, winning football in the first place.

It's collective amnesia. Like everything that happened between 1998 and what you ate for breakfast last Thursday went into some black hole and that the only reason we're not d1cking teams in the top flight with baggy Puma shirts and a Costa Rican striker with weird legs is because McClaren played 4-3-3.

Derby fans are weird. I love them.

1 hour ago, jagerbob said:

Theres no guarantee Martin will be able to do what Rowett will ask of him. Given that Nugent is a permanent deal and not a loan, I can see him having every chance of being more suitable than Martin.

AS soon as the goals dryed up in the autumn under Clement, and we tryed a few different variations offensively, Martin got found out as the immobile guy he was up top.

Wasnt until Wassall took the helm and we reverted to the McClaren style that martin found his feet again.

i was under the impression he is also fulhams top scorer this season despite them not playing the horrid system...so not bad for a immobile striker

1 hour ago, jagerbob said:

Bloody hell 

2 hours ago, jagerbob said:

Horrid system -sorry with the right players in the right holes it was a great system 

Archived