Over rated and overpaid

Rams forever

Unfortunately that's my summary for the vast majority of our players and with them on good contracts it's not going to be easy to shift some of them,could be 2 seasons till we get back to way we were playing before the play off final defeat. We don't seem to get one player go out of form but three or four at the same time, I personally want to see some decent attacking football for the rest of the season as I have never been so bored at a football match as I was against burton.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hard not to tar everyone with the same brush, but I'd say the title is synonymous with ourselves in recent years.

I don't think we've got a bad team when it comes to technical ability, but i'll stress that it's not that good either. I have no doubts our biggest issue is our squad's ability off the ball. 

The biggest issue for me is the central midfield. I don't doubt we have the technical ability there, but off the ball they're incredibly poor. We simply couldn't play 4-4-2 with any confidence because our midfield lacks presence, substance and most annoyingly of all - fitness. We then go on to the next point, we don't have a striker that can play the lone forward role. Nugent, perhaps, and Bent try their best but neither of them excel in a lone forward position. I think that about sums up our largest issue this season: We have a midfield that needs three bodies to compensate for their downfalls and we don't have a striker capable of playing upfront on their own. 

I do think Martin's return will be huge for the central midfielders, yet I'd like to see us have a proper look at that area in the summer. I want at least a couple of new players who don't have to be babysat through games. Stephens and Kayal at Brighton, at least when I saw them last season, is what I'm after. Hughes and Thorne have the potential, but the former needs to really up his impact in games and the latter needs to stay fit. 

The midfield does certainly seem to be an issue. Butterfield is good at safe passing, Johnson isn't a good enough footballer and Bryson has had injuries. Thorne is injured. Hughes is great although has had injuries so is not at top form. 

Before we had Hendrick, Thorne, Hughes, and in form Bryson. 

3 hours ago, Rams forever said:

Unfortunately that's my summary for the vast majority of our players and with them on good contracts it's not going to be easy to shift some of them,could be 2 seasons till we get back to way we were playing before the play off final defeat. We don't seem to get one player go out of form but three or four at the same time, I personally want to see some decent attacking football for the rest of the season as I have never been so bored at a football match as I was against burton.

Don't worry m8,normal service will resume shortly...2D87B2E200000578-0-image-m-78_1445172372

4 hours ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Questions have to be asked. Baffles me how Anya was given a 4 year deal at 29... 

4 hours ago, Inglorius said:

Probably the only way we could get him here, ditto Johnson on 40k a week. 

Madness. We seem to have lost all grip of our commercial senses.

And presumably that's not any managers fault as they don't negotiate the contracts?

What we're we thinking?

6 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I we don't have a striker that can play the lone forward role. Nugent, perhaps, and Bent try their best but neither of them excel in a lone forward position. I think that about sums up our largest issue this season: ....we don't have a striker capable of playing upfront on their own. 

So why persist with a lone striker?

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

Madness. We seem to have lost all grip of our commercial senses.

And presumably that's not any managers fault as they don't negotiate the contracts?

What we're we thinking?

I suspect Blackman is on a perverse weekly wage too, and then we have the contract debacle of Martin who is now on £30k p.w. (perhaps more) where we wanted to entice him back from a club we were happy to offload him too. Sam Rush always seems to be revered on here, but not sure l would want him buying a postage stamp for me.

Just now, i-Ram said:

I suspect Blackman is on a perverse weekly wage too, and then we have the contract debacle of Martin who is now on £30k p.w. (perhaps more) where we wanted to entice him back from a club we were happy to offload him too. Sam Rush always seems to be revered on here, but not sure l would want him buying a postage stamp for me.

And of course will hughes' new deal which you would expect to be up there in terms of wages. 

All we have achieved in the last couple of years is to drastically increase the squad size and wage bill whilst still regarding the longer serving squad members as being the ones who are key.

Elsewhere the question was asked "are we in crisis" and of course the answer is no - provided Mel continues to support the club. As he surveys the past couple of seasons achievement by management I'm not sure we should take further such support for granted. 

What a waste!

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Baffles me how people know what the players are earning...

Baffles me that people care so much. We're within FFP, it's not their own money, and like transfer price - wage doesn't determine the player you'll get. 

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Baffles me how people know what the players are earning...

Its amazing how chinese whispers on the old grapevine can provide so much information (or did i mean misinformation?)

Or is it some fella down the pub said to bobs dad in the bogs that bills brother heard from daves uncle that robs nephew knows a man who.....and so on.

Just now, Paul71 said:

Its amazing how chinese whispers on the old grapevine can provide so much information (or did i mean misinformation?)

Or is it some fella down the pub said to bobs dad in the bogs that bills brother heard from daves uncle that robs nephew knows a man who.....and so on.

hey my uncle knows his stuff, fella :ph34r:

1 hour ago, mrdave85 said:

Baffles me that people care so much. We're within FFP, it's not their own money, and like transfer price - wage doesn't determine the player you'll get. 

Yeah, of course it's not our own money, and money is certainly no guarantee of quality.  But there is a finite pot of money available for the club to spend on wages and transfer fees, so anything spent badly is something that could have been spent on better elsewhere.  When you consider we've spent over £20m + high wages on the likes of Vydra, Johnson, Shackell, Weimann, Blackman etc who have not improved the squad in any way at all, it's hard not to be annoyed and think what we could have gotten for that money.  

It's especially gutting because having sat through 5 years under Clough while we cut back and got our house in order, we finally got to a position where we could build and make a real go of it.  And instead of building we literally repeated the exact same mistakes and we're now back in exactly the same position we were in 8 years ago under Jewell.  I for one can't wait for the next 5 years of moving on over-paid, under-performing players with the hope that eventually we have a young, hungry squad that can challenge.

Archived