Are we allowed an alternative view.

Curtains

1 minute ago, mrdave85 said:

My own view is that insinuating anyone is stupid for having an opinion different to your own is insulting, whether you mean it to be or not. It's the very thing you've started this thread about.

You won't look stupid if he succeeds, nor will anyone who thinks he's the right fit if he gets sacked without a promotion to his name.

I beg to differ. 

If McClaren gets us promoted people will be queuing up to say I told you so just as they are queuing up to tell us he's the man for Derby and he just fits Derby unconditionally 

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, curtains said:

I beg to differ. 

If McClaren gets us promoted people will be queuing up to say I told you so. 

Okay, IMO you won't look stupid.

But of course there will be, there'll be the same if he gets the sack. The very same people I imagine are the ones who are quick to disappear off this forum when they get it wrong. 

3 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

Okay, IMO you won't look stupid.

But of course there will be, there'll be the same if he gets the sack. The very same people I imagine are the ones who are quick to disappear off this forum when they get it wrong. 

It's a difference of opinion as to the merits of McClaren as manager or not  .

If you don't like my thread mate don't read it .

4 minutes ago, curtains said:

It's a difference of opinion as to the merits of McClaren as manager or not  .

If you don't like my thread mate don't read it.  

I never said I didn't like it. 

I commented on how you're claiming to be "hammered" for having a different view yet in the same thread call someone else stupid for thinking different to you. You then went off on one and "hammered" me for using alternate instead of alternative.

23 hours ago, curtains said:

Seems to me that every time some question anything on this forum that is not the populist view of a few posters they get hammered.

I actually think the forum may be worse off for this in many ways as it stops people posting. 

I like a bit of healthy debate. My conclusions versus someone else's. Making an argument, justifying it either with evidence or persuasiveness. That's all part of the fun. The interesting thing is the "camps" on some topics. Chris Martin, Vydra, Shackle, Keogh, Ince 442 433 .. All good fun. Wrist slashers and Happy clappers. Fans and detractors. The permanently moody versus those of us who have an occasional sulk.

Not so sure about the political ones in the pub - not so much fun because folk are so partisan in their opinion and don't so much as exchange views but brand each other as subversive elements if you aren't in the gang. Gets quite personal in there if you don't subscribe to the dogma clichee books. Perish the thought that are two sides to a coin or even that you might be allowed to see merit in both parts. 

Just now, Wolfie said:

I'm confused. So has he been amazing since coming back or not?

Good question mate .

I did a thread "McClaren has been amazing since he came back " which was very true at the time I posted it. 

Then I did a thread " I didn't want McClaren back I still don't thanks " straight after a defeat after a thread "Drama Queens "

The truth is as I say some of the subsequent thread was also about the Newcastle thing which ultimately as far as I know saw McClaren leave Derby. 

Now he was amazing to turn around the start to the season under Pearson who left under mutual consent because it was a poor start  .

Now we find ourselves in a bad run of form again  .

People say well he needs to get his own players in next season  but how does that work with our budget and players on long contracts and for that matter how would that work with a new manager like Pearson was   .

The idea was McClaren would come in and get the present playing staff playing well with a different system i.e. 4-3-3 .

I insist I would like a strong manager like a Rowett but that's just my opinion  

18 hours ago, curtains said:

I would love people to be honest on 4 questions 

1       How many people wanted Wassall as manager after the playoffs  

2       How many people thought Pearson was a good appointment at the time  

3        How many people thought they would welcome McClaren back to Derby   .

4       Do you still want McClaren for next season whatever results we get for the rest of this season  

1. No but wasn't sure on who I wanted, none of the names we were linked with were appealing to me.

2. No, didn't seem the the type of manager that would fit in with the club, but was willing to see what he was going to do.

3. Yes, it is simply a case of resetting the club back to the point that it was last functioning the way the majority of fans were happy (and what the owner was looking to replicate)

4. Yes, no point in starting again, with mix and match squad we have at the moment. Mac is assessing his squad now and seeing who is going to be in his plans for next season, I would quite happily go the rest of the season experimenting and trying to see what works and what doesn't, in preparation for next year.

13 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

I never said I didn't like it. 

I commented on how you're claiming to be "hammered" for having a different view yet in the same thread call someone else stupid for thinking different to you. You then went off on one and "hammered" me for using alternate instead of alternative.

You read the post again because if I had called someone stupid I would get a warning from the mods. 

I repeat I said they would look stupid which is an entirely different thing. 

Just now, curtains said:

You read the post because if I had called someone stupid I would get a warning from the mods. 

I repeat I said they would look stupid which is an entirely different thing. 

You're saying they'd look stupid because their opinion is different to yours in a thread about being hammered for having a different opinion. 

I stand by this and if anyone wants to call me stupid if it goes tits meet me outside the bike shed at dinner.

I will happily hold my hands up and say I was wrong but don't call me stupid as I can give Chinese burns that will leave you sore for a week.

This is football, there is not a single fan out there that had an opinion which turned out to be wrong. 

Remember Harry Redknapp defending himself for playing Lampard saying he would go right to the top at a Fans forum. Exactly, point made, mic drop see ya later.

People should express their views free from the concern of others having a pop at them, by all means don't agree with everything but no one is right and no one is wrong they are all view points

debate is healthy and criticism only comes from the closed minds of the despondent ( and forest fans) 

3 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

People should express their views free from the concern of others having a pop at them, by all means don't agree with everything but no one is right and no one is wrong they are all view points

debate is healthy and criticism only comes from the closed minds of the despondent ( and forest fans) 

But repetitive debate of the same issue by the same people is obsessively unhealthy.

The only thing I resent is when people talk down to others regarding opinion..... who are then quite happily shouting from the rooftops "LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME I WAS RIGHT WASNT I" then crawl behind a rock and hide away when their opinion is wrong.

You all know me well enough on here to know I fully admit when I'm wrong..... I also make no comment if my opinion turns out to be right. 

Humility..... one big thing for me to have. It's a shame some can't get their head around that.

Sneering and looking down on someone's opinion is vile. We are equal..... we are football fans. If you can't resist doing it.... then that's quite sad. 

46 minutes ago, curtains said:

Good question mate .

I did a thread "McClaren has been amazing since he came back " which was very true at the time I posted it. 

Then I did a thread " I didn't want McClaren back I still don't thanks " straight after a defeat after a thread "Drama Queens "

The truth is as I say some of the subsequent thread was also about the Newcastle thing which ultimately as far as I know saw McClaren leave Derby. 

Now he was amazing to turn around the start to the season under Pearson who left under mutual consent because it was a poor start  .

Now we find ourselves in a bad run of form again  .

People say well he needs to get his own players in next season  but how does that work with our budget and players on long contracts and for that matter how would that work with a new manager like Pearson was   .

The idea was McClaren would come in and get the present playing staff playing well with a different system i.e. 4-3-3 .

I insist I would like a strong manager like a Rowett but that's just my opinion  

I thought the mutual consent thing was to prevent an internal investigation into some form of misconduct, on the part of NP. Precisely what we will never know (although uncorroborated information from a couple of sources quoted on here was that he had somehow got into a physical altercation with the chairman).

So not the results. As also seemed to be the case with Paul Clement - sacked, but not for the results.

So I suspect that as long as mac is being seen to try and play decent football, he is unlikely to be sacked purely for a poor run of results which after all is only 6 games out of a 46 game season or something?

The point about the squad is spot on, and whilst we are not in a crisis as I would understand it, we may have to accept one further whole season where we cannot progress as we would like as we have to run contracts down, because our underperforming players cannot be moved on and we can't afford to bring in new ones until they do.

I think an Arthur cox type could help this squad, but I don't know that Rowett (or anyone else) fits that bill.

2 hours ago, curtains said:

Get a dictionary 

adjective

adjective: alternate

ɔːlˈtəːnət,ɒlˈtəːnət/

every other; every second.

"she was asked to attend on alternate days"

synonyms:every other, every second

"she was asked to attend on alternate days"

(of two things) each following and succeeded by the other in a regular pattern.

"alternate bouts of intense labour and of idleness"

synonyms:alternating, in rotation, rotating, occurring in turns, interchanging, following in sequence, sequential

"place the leeks and noodles in alternate layers"

BOTANY

(of leaves or shoots) placed alternately on the two sides of the stem.

NORTH AMERICAN

another term for alternative.

"a novel set in an alternate universe"

synonyms:alternative, other, another, second, different, possible, substitute, replacement, deputy, relief, proxy, surrogate, cover, fill-in, stand-in, standby, emergency, reserve, backup, auxiliary, fallback; 

informalpinch-hitting

"an alternate plan of action"

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=alternate&oq=alternate&aqs=chrome..69i57.3727j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Archived