3 minutes ago, rynny said:

adjective

adjective: alternate

ɔːlˈtəːnət,ɒlˈtəːnət/

every other; every second.

"she was asked to attend on alternate days"

synonyms:every other, every second

(of two things) each following and succeeded by the other in a regular pattern.

"alternate bouts of intense labour and of idleness"

synonyms:alternating, in rotation, rotating, occurring in turns, interchanging, following in sequence, sequential

"place the leeks and noodles in alternate layers"

BOTANY

(of leaves or shoots) placed alternately on the two sides of the stem.

NORTH AMERICAN

another term for alternative.

"a novel set in an alternate universe"

synonyms:alternative, other, another, second, different, possible, substitute, replacement, deputy, relief, proxy, surrogate, cover, fill-in, stand-in, standby, emergency, reserve, backup, auxiliary, fallback; 

informalpinch-hitting

"an alternate plan of action"

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=alternate&oq=alternate&aqs=chrome..69i57.3727j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

lol, thanks @rynny 

I was too busy to go full pedant :ph34r:

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, rynny said:

adjective

adjective: alternate

ɔːlˈtəːnət,ɒlˈtəːnət/

every other; every second.

synonyms:every other, every second

(of two things) each following and succeeded by the other in a regular pattern.

"alternate bouts of intense labour and of idleness"

synonyms:alternating, in rotation, rotating, occurring in turns, interchanging, following in sequence, sequential

"place the leeks and noodles in alternate layers"

BOTANY

(of leaves or shoots) placed alternately on the two sides of the stem.

NORTH AMERICAN

another term for alternative.

"a novel set in an alternate universe"

synonyms:alternative, other, another, second, different, possible, substitute, replacement, deputy, relief, proxy, surrogate, cover, fill-in, stand-in, standby, emergency, reserve, backup, auxiliary, fallback; 

informalpinch-hitting

"an alternate plan of action"

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=alternate&oq=alternate&aqs=chrome..69i57.3727j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Alternate is the adjective of alternative right. 

But alternate has also another meaning which means back and forth 

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

Is that an alternative meaning or an alternate meaning? :ph34r:

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/usage/alternate-or-alternative

‘Alternate’ or ‘alternative’?

In both British and American English the adjective alternatemeans ‘every other or every second’, as in:

They meet on alternate Sundays.

or ‘(of two things) each following and succeeded by the other in a regular pattern’, as in:

Alternate layers of potato and sauce.

Alternative means ‘available as another possibility or choice’, as in:

Some European countries follow an alternative approach. 

In American usage, however, alternate can also be used to mean ‘available as another choice’, for example:

An alternate plan called for construction to begin immediately rather than waiting for spring. 

--------------------------

This American use of alternate is still regarded as incorrect by many people in Britain.

---------------------

Back to Usage.

You may also be interested in:

'Censure' or 'censor'?

'Flair' or 'flare'?

'Laid' or 'lain'?

See more from Usage

On Sunday, February 26, 2017 at 10:02, LeedsCityRam said:

Speaking as someone who also isn't a massive fan of McClaren, Id say there is room to make reasoned criticisms of him on here. What many object to is the knee-jerk, 'we're all doomed' stuff that some posters (particularly newbies) come out with - it annoys me too.

Lets give him this season to do his planning & then start properly judging him from August. I most certainly will be doing.

Great post ?

Mine isn't a KNEE JERK response... 

I've been thinking it for a while... thinking SAINT STEVIE MAC is over rated and has been lucky with a run of fixtures and results which seems to have cemented him into some Derby hearts ..... 

I find it insulting opinions on here get dismissed as KNEE JERK when it's quite obvious all is not well at my club. 

7 hours ago, GerryDaly said:

I've been thinking it for a while... thinking SAINT STEVIE MAC is over rated and has been lucky with a run of fixtures and results which seems to have cemented him into some Derby hearts ..... 

I find it insulting opinions on here get dismissed as KNEE JERK when it's quite obvious all is not well at my club. 

No, things are not well at clubs like Leyton Orient, we've just lost a few games. 

1 hour ago, mrdave85 said:

No, things are not well at clubs like Leyton Orient, we've just lost a few games. 

Well said, just look at tonight's opponents for a club in disarray. Owners that run the club from afar and refuse to communicate with the fanbase. Massively in debt and in severe danger of relegation and a real possibility of disappearing of the landscape all together. In comparison our troubles are relatively minor. 

1 minute ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Well said, just look at tonight's opponents for a club in disarray. Owners that run the club from afar and refuse to communicate with the fanbase. Massively in debt and in severe danger of relegation and a real possibility of disappearing of the landscape all together. In comparison our troubles are relatively minor. 

While that is true, where do you draw the line? I can't complain about breaking my leg, because some fella broke both? That fella can't complain either because some other lad had his amputated? Etc. 

I also get a wee bit frustrated at the "Knee jerk", "Wrist slasher", "Doom merchant" "Half fan" tags that get thrown around here. 

I know lots of people that didn't like SM before, didn't want him back, and don't rate him now. I don't consider 3 years of opinion to be knee jerk. 

21 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

While that is true, where do you draw the line? I can't complain about breaking my leg, because some fella broke both? That fella can't complain either because some other lad had his amputated? Etc. 

I also get a wee bit frustrated at the "Knee jerk", "Wrist slasher", "Doom merchant" "Half fan" tags that get thrown around here. 

I know lots of people that didn't like SM before, didn't want him back, and don't rate him now. I don't consider 3 years of opinion to be knee jerk. 

Just making the point that I'd much rather be in our position than Blackburns. In terms of league position, ownership wise and  financially. Pretty much every aspect actually. I didn't actually look at what @mrdave85 was responding to. I was agreeing with his point that all we've done was lost a few games. I didnt  see the 'knee jerk' part of the previous post but I get your frustration if you've never liked SM. I'm  in the camp that SM needs time to put things right. You're are quite clearly not his biggest fan. Only time will tell if he can do the business. Either way I think you may have to accept that he's here for the foreseeable future.

8 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

I'd draw it when we actually start to go backwards as a club. I mean really backwards, like being in a relegation battle each season, having to sell our assets, no investment in the team or club, not dropping out of a play off position.

People can be against SM all they want, this is a place for opinions to be discussed and argued. I admit I bite at the folk who aren't willing to concede in their arguments some points, that's my fault at a poster. People can complain obviously, but to say the club is in trouble, or in crisis like another thread, is a bit OTT given our actual position in mid table, financially stable etc etc. 

I'm a fan of Mac, but I know he's not perfect, I'm not sure on his recruitment or his promotion from U23s to First team, I feel we have gone backwards there. Or maybe Hendrick & Hughes were the only prospects in recent history to have the ability to step up. I digress. I think he's the right fit for right now, and I think the worst thing for us would be to change manager again. I also think there's a chance Mac would never have been fired/left if it wasn't for the Newcastle saga. We've had a lot of managers (some I've argued out of MM's hands - Pearson's shenanigans) recently, I think we need to keep with one manager for a number of seasons (Mac or someone else, and obviously if we don't start tumbling toward relegation) and reintroduce that stability that served as platform for Mac to get us playing in his first time here.

SM got us to a play off final, he galvanised the club in his first stint. I believe that, along with MM purchasing and funding big money transfers, has raised expectation from a number of fans that now believe we should be in the promotion hunt every season. I'm curious to know their thoughts on the club during the years after our last relegation, but I wasn't a member then. The championship is difficult to get out of, managers always have the odds against them, and it takes consistency and luck to be promoted. Villa have shown you can't buy your way out (although I expect a real push from them next season), there's always a surprise package or two.

IMO We're a good top half of the table side, and we're set up to give a push for promotion each season as recent seasons have shown. I would never label us as favourites, though.

56 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Just making the point that I'd much rather be in our position than Blackburns. In terms of league position, ownership wise and  financially. Pretty much every aspect actually. I didn't actually look at what @mrdave85 was responding to. I was agreeing with his point that all we've done was lost a few games. I didnt  see the 'knee jerk' part of the previous post but I get your frustration if you've never liked SM. I'm  in the camp that SM needs time to put things right. You're are quite clearly not his biggest fan. Only time will tell if he can do the business. Either way I think you may have to accept that he's here for the foreseeable future.

TBF I am quite indifferent to SM. I didn't like Pearson, but I do think Clement should have been given time. What he is doing at Swansea just shows that the man has ability. 

When it comes to SM, I fear he is one dimensional. 

58 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

I'd draw it when we actually start to go backwards as a club. I mean really backwards, like being in a relegation battle each season, having to sell our assets, no investment in the team or club, not dropping out of a play off position.

People can be against SM all they want, this is a place for opinions to be discussed and argued. I admit I bite at the folk who aren't willing to concede in their arguments some points, that's my fault at a poster. People can complain obviously, but to say the club is in trouble, or in crisis like another thread, is a bit OTT given our actual position in mid table, financially stable etc etc. 

I'm a fan of Mac, but I know he's not perfect, I'm not sure on his recruitment or his promotion from U23s to First team, I feel we have gone backwards there. Or maybe Hendrick & Hughes were the only prospects in recent history to have the ability to step up. I digress. I think he's the right fit for right now, and I think the worst thing for us would be to change manager again. I also think there's a chance Mac would never have been fired/left if it wasn't for the Newcastle saga. We've had a lot of managers (some I've argued out of MM's hands - Pearson's shenanigans) recently, I think we need to keep with one manager for a number of seasons (Mac or someone else, and obviously if we don't start tumbling toward relegation) and reintroduce that stability that served as platform for Mac to get us playing in his first time here.

SM got us to a play off final, he galvanised the club in his first stint. I believe that, along with MM purchasing and funding big money transfers, has raised expectation from a number of fans that now believe we should be in the promotion hunt every season. I'm curious to know their thoughts on the club during the years after our last relegation, but I wasn't a member then. The championship is difficult to get out of, managers always have the odds against them, and it takes consistency and luck to be promoted. Villa have shown you can't buy your way out (although I expect a real push from them next season), there's always a surprise package or two.

IMO We're a good top half of the table side, and we're set up to give a push for promotion each season as recent seasons have shown. I would never label us as favourites, though.

I agree, and I'm not one for removing SM. Not at all. I wish however, that he would learn from mistakes and not be one dimensional. I don't see it as coincidence that SM has us almost unplayable, then very quickly a team that is comfortably playable. I fear for his ability to adapt. It's 4-3-3 or nothing, simply won't do, as we will get figured out, critical players injured/suspended/nulified by defenders and we will watch the inevitable post Xmas slide. I do however believe that he should be given a transfer window or two to remove players he knows have let him down in the past, and bring in players he knows will improve the side. That said, the Martin return suggests it's 4-3-3 or nothing next season too. 

The part I have highlighted is a funny one. I hate being favourites. It's almost like a kiss of death. But when you go out and spend 25m quid, surely the goalposts change in terms of expectations? Wigan will do well to say up. But inject 25m and staying up isn't just a requirement, it shouldn't even be thought about. A playoff chasing side + £25m should at least = a playoff secured side IMO. 

The one criticism I have of Clement and his tenure is that we bought poorly. That is not to say that they are poor players, they just weren't necessarily the players we needed as a club. Pearson managed to do even worse in the transfer window which hasn't helped.

SM hasn't had too much freedom to chop and change yet, I will be much more comfortable judging him next season when he has had a chance to put his mark on the team. 

11 hours ago, GerryDaly said:

He was lucky with a run of fixtures...that's a new one but very creative though I'll give you that.

Was he lucky that he had to play against teams from our division,  3 of which were top 6 teams and also in our local Derby?

35 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

He was lucky with a run of fixtures...that's a new one but very creative though I'll give you that.

Was he lucky that he had to play against teams from our division,  3 of which were top 6 teams and also in our local Derby?

Reading away 1-1

Huddersfield away  lost   0-1 

Leeds at home.  Just about won that one.  1-0

Brum at home .  Just about won that one. 1-0 

Brentford at home.  0-0. 

Wigan at home 0-0 

Wigan away just about won 0-1 

Wolves away just about won that but didn't deserve too.  2-3  

Sheff Wed at home good 2-0 win  

Rotherham at home won 3-0 but who hasn't beat Rotherham.

Norwich at home just about won 1-0 

Forest at home won 3-0  good result against a team on the down at the time  

QPR away just won 0-1  

Fulham away good result 2-2 

A bit hit and miss on that good run really to be honest  

------------

Lost 6 league games since then though  and drawn 2 at home 

Beat Reading at home 3-2 and Ipswich 3-0 

--------

On 2/26/2017 at 15:23, curtains said:

I would love people to be honest on 4 questions 

1       How many people wanted Wassall as manager after the playoffs  

2       How many people thought Pearson was a good appointment at the time  

3        How many people thought they would welcome McClaren back to Derby   .

4       Do you still want McClaren for next season whatever results we get for the rest of this season  

No

Yes

Mixed feelings 

Yes unless we can swop him for that Wagner fella.

3 hours ago, curtains said:

Reading away 1-1

Huddersfield away  lost   0-1 

Leeds at home.  Just about won that one.  1-0

Brum at home .  Just about won that one. 1-0 

Brentford at home.  0-0. 

Wigan at home 0-0 

Wigan away just about won 0-1 

Wolves away just about won that but didn't deserve too.  2-3  

Sheff Wed at home good 2-0 win  

Rotherham at home won 3-0 but who hasn't beat Rotherham.

Norwich at home just about won 1-0 

Forest at home won 3-0  good result against a team on the down at the time  

QPR away just won 0-1  

Fulham away good result 2-2 

A bit hit and miss on that good run really to be honest  

------------

Lost 6 league games since then though  and drawn 2 at home 

Beat Reading at home 3-2 and Ipswich 3-0 

--------

So good results we either pick fault with or skip over but bad results we make a big deal out of?

Of the 6 defeats:-

Norwich - a team on the up

Leeds - top 6 team

Newcastle - top of the league

Cardiff - best form in the division in 2017

Aston Villa - unlucky not to get something from the game by all accounts

Archived