Chris Martin signs new contract until 2020

Cam the Ram

Not sure why people focus on one particular run of games without goals as justification to knock a player.

Diego Costa had a run of just four goals in 23 games last season.... There you go, I've just pulled out a random Diego Costa fact from my arse which makes Theo Walcott currently look like a world beater!

So what? Martin was our top goal scorer in each of our last three seasons. 

Do you want another interesting stat... Chris Martin started the 4-4 draw with Ipswich back in 2013/14. Since then, under McClaren in Championsjip games (including playoffs) he has started for Derby his record is W42 D16 L14.

That is 142 points from 72 games, average 1.972 per match = 90.7 points in a 46-game season.

Are you telling me that isn't good enough? F#ck off!

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Not sure why people focus on one particular run of games without goals as justification to knock a player.

Diego Costa had a run of just four goals in 23 games last season.... There you go, I've just pulled out a random Diego Costa fact from my arse which makes Theo Walcott currently look like a world beater!

Do you want another interesting stat... Chris Martin started the 4-4 draw with Ipswich back in 2013/14. Since then, under McClaren in Championsjip games (including playoffs) he has started for Derby his record is W42 D16 L14.

That is 142 points from 72 games, average 1.972 per match = 90.7 points in a 46-game season.

Could you count point average for Bent too? There won't be many games (30-40 I guess) he has started, but I'd be very interested which one of them has better point return.

25 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Could you count point average for Bent too? There won't be many games (30-40 I guess) he has started, but I'd be very interested which one of them has better point return.

Darren Bent's first league start for us was against Rotherham, the 3-3 draw.

In 2013/14 his record (starts) was W4 D4 L3 = 16 points from 11 games, average 1.45 per game or 67 over a 46 game campaign.

This season, his record under Mac (starts) is W8 D1 L1 = 25 points from 10 games, average 2.5 per game or 115 over a 46-game campaign.

His overall record under Mac is W12 D5 L4, 40 points from 21 games, 1.9 per average or 87.6 over a 46-game season.

Bent's record is obviously boosted by the recent amazing run coinciding with Mac's arrival. I'd expect that figure to steadily drop between now and May.

Martin's record is slightly better, and he has started more than three times the amount of games in which Bent has started. I doubt Bent's current average will remain as high.

Bent, while still not ideally suited to our system, has improved in terms of teamplay from his first stint with us in the 2013/14 season. 

I wouldn't like to compare either with Vydra's record, which must be pretty dire.

5 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Bu TT he waves his arms around, chews gum and looks grumpy. What more reason can you have to not want him here?

You're right about the gum chewing.

i've noticed that.

9 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

He's scored 9 in 19 for Fulham so if that rate continued through to a full season in the Championship then he'd finish with 22 goals. 

If that's a measure of a player in decline then all I can say is "bring it on".

One word IF... 

6 hours ago, Rampage said:

I agree totally,  Ramnut.

Would we have signed Nugent if we had known Martin was coming back?

How can Martin have signed a three year contract for us if Fulham had an option on him and it needed all three parties for him to agree to come back? Therefore he must be coming back right away or at close of window at latest, surely.

Because Martin still is a Derby player so all we have done is extended what was already in place with a lot more ££££ per week, this then adds pressure to Fulham for June, as they will need to offer him more.

What nobody has said is the impact of what this potentially does to the rest of the team, imagine he returns and is on 30,000 a week what does this say to Ince and Co?

Just now, toddy said:

Because Martin still is a Derby player so all we have done is extended what was already in place with a lot more ££££ per week, this then adds pressure to Fulham for June, as they will need to offer him more.

What nobody has said is the impact of what this potentially does to the rest of the team, imagine he returns and is on 30,000 a week what does this say to Ince and Co?

That they can get ready for great service and the club is going for it.....They will be very happy.

Morning toddy?

58 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Some 'fans' don't let facts get in the way of opinions, Keogh falls victim to this too.

6 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I will agree with you that Vydra hasn't been utilised in the best way. It wasn't really the point. It was more about living up to expectations. Personally I hope to see Martin and Vydra played together and hopefully to good effect. But that is wishful thinking. 

It hasn't been lost on me that Martin was our top scorer for three seasons running but that track record could be a blessing or a curse.

I will agree with you that Martin has done the business for us, which I never cast doubt on in the first place, but the climate of circumstances in which he performed back then is much different now. 

Coming in on a free transfer after a less than impressive loan spell is a very different kind of pressure compared to coming back now and being expected to transform our fortunes almost singlehandedly by picking up where he left off, scoring 15-20 goals a season and ultimately justifying the faith and confidence the fans have in him and the lucrative new contract he's just signed.

All this fanfare could look a bit much. That's my main point.

100% agree with you there. The pressure is gonna be more intense this time around. Apologies for taking the Vydra part of your initial post and missing your main point. The pressures on any modern day footballer is immense these days. Their every move is scrutinised from every angle due to TV coverage. Think I did say in a previous post that there's no guarantee he'll be a success and we are building him up to be some kind of Messiah which intensifies that pressure. I'm just basing my opinion that he'll cope on the fact that he's shown he can cope. Being top scorer 3 seasons in a row would have brought pressure in itself. Plus he's been scoring for Fulham too and hopefully he can bring that form back with him. He was also brave pulling on a Fulham shirt again after this initially kicked off. That must have taken some balls which proves he has a mental strength. The whole situation though is bizarre. Let's just hope when he comes back we can return to some kind of normality or is this what Mel meant by "The Derby Way." Who knows only time will tell. COYR 

@Wolfie20

One word IF

He also went about 11 games on the trot for us last season without a goal. So your 'rate' comment makes no sense at all. Fulham create chances, us not so much. If we win two games on the bounce then, if we continue at that rate we will win the league.. It's football, it does not work like that.

The blind faith in this bloke is clouding everyone's judgement. Step back, look at who we are today against who we were when he was at his peak with us. It's not the same..

Apart from Hughes, I don't really rate any of our midfielders that highly. We play too deep in midfield in order for Martin to link that well. The runners don't get past him, they did before but we are not showing any signs of that now even under SM.

Do you seriously think Martin is a Premier League standard striker? Surely not.. Okay at this level in the right set up.. We have to evolve not go backwards and that is all I am seeing at the moment. 

How long before we get the 'no plan B' threads? Has SM got the minerals to drop Martin if he is off his game? 

There is so much clutching at straws with us it's embarrassing.

While I will be delighted to see Chris Martin back I do think the situation is very bizarre, not sure I can ever recall a situation like it.

Fulham fans are unhappy and rightly so.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out...

Will he play today? Will he try and force a move back before tuesday?

What are the terms of the deal with Fulham, they have an option to buy but surely this is only with the agreement from the player himself?

If he stays at Fulham, what if things change between now and the end of the season? What if Fulham get promoted, will he change his mind? Can he?

For me I dont like any of the way its been played out, but Fulham would have been better concentrating on replacing martin and letting him come back, if someone wants to be somewhere else whats the point in prolonging it?

This is brilliant for Derby and could be even better for Vydra. He had his best success in a 3 upfront playing off Troy Deeney. He's still only 24 and I refuse to believe he's lost all the ability that made him one of the championship's best players a couple of years back. This is the final piece in the Jigsaw, especially with Bryson seeming to look like his old self on Friday (first time in a long long time).

McClaren gets the best out of Martin, it is a guaranteed success. He's proven at this level - he's had a good season for Fulham so he's in form.

Martin hasn't done anything wrong in my view. He never wanted to leave but Ostrich forced him out. Fulham are the innocent parties in all of this, messed around by Derby (Mel and Sam) who were obviously backing Ostrich at the time. I'd be cheesed off if I was them, but there are no morals in football, we're not the only team to adopt these dirty tactics and won't be the last, so ultimately, it's 2 fingers to Fulham and I'm delighted!

8 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

Not sure it's necessarily wise to include his comments in the press release for the new contract. Obviously the club are trying to force the issue before Tuesday.

I'm a bit conflicted with how it's gone. I would be furious if this was a player on loan at Derby. On the other hand though, we have been taken advantage of so many times in the past that I have a perverse sense of pride that we have finally realised that football is a dirty business and you need to play dirty sometimes to get the best result for you.

Absoultely delighted if he comes back though. They say absence makes the heart grow fonder, but no absence was required for me too realise how stupid a decision it was to let him go in the first place.

If julien de sart signs a new boro deal today will any derby fan really care? I can't see one person being outraged by it. So I don't see the difference for us offering Martin a new one..

Let's face it the only reason Fulham fans are up on arms is because clearly they rate Martin and just can't see how it's possible that a player doesn't want to play for their club.  

If they thought he was rubbish and couldn't wait to get rid like some of their fans have started making out, they really wouldn't care about his new deal at Derby.  

But as you mention if we had a player on loan we did have a chance of signing and their club suddenly offered them a new deal. I'm sure derby fans would be up in arms. Football is just full of hypocrisy. 

Personally I'm delighted Martin is coming back... 

PS I swear to the heavens if boro offer de sart a new deal I will lose MY FREAKING MIND :ph34r:

Archived