The Championship Villa(i)ns

Day

Just going to leave this here.

Aston Villa Squad

Goalkeepers: Steer, Bunn, Johnstone

Defenders: Baker, Richards, Elphick, Chester, Hutton, Amavi, De Laet, Bree

Midfielders: Lansbury, Bacuna, Tshibola, Westwood, Green, Gardner, Jedinak, Adomah, Lyden, Grealish

Forwards: Ayew, Agbonlahor, Kozak, Kodija, McCormack

Total Players: 26

Derby Squad

Goalkeepers: Carson, Mitchell, Roos

Defenders: Christie, Forsyth, Shackell, Keogh, Baird, Pearce, Lowe, Hanson, Olsson

Midfielders: Bryson, Anya, Ince, Johnson, De Sart, Butterfield, Hughes, Thorne

Forwards: Russell, Bent, Camara, Blackman, Vydra, Nugent

Total Players: 26

(Squads taken from the official sites of both clubs, players which are out on loan are not included)

Transfers
(Using Transfermarkt.com for fees, this may not be accurate as many are undisclosed, as fans we're not privy to this kind of information.)

15/16 - Derby spent £28.95m, received £0m. Net Spend £28.95m.

16/17 Aston Villa spent £52.36m, received £29.07m. Net spend of £23.29m 

*Carson, Bree and Adomah's fee's were all listed as ? with no fee given so are not included in the above numbers.

Parachute Payments

In season one, 2016-17, Villa would get £40 million

In season two, 2017-18, Villa would get £33 million

In season three, 2018-19, Villa would get £14 million.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is interesting in macro/round pound economic terms and illustrates what faces champ teams.

Our turnover (20 odd million)  is roughly equivelant to our wage bill, On top of that there is another 10 million in costs needed to keep the club running, buy the odd player and invest in infrastructure. Luckily for us Uncle Mel seems happy to spend 10 million a year on his hobby. One thing for sure an average 30 million a year "free" cash makes a huge difference to the arithmetic.

I suggest that DCFC is a well run club that pays competitive wages, isn't servicing a big debt, is commercially aware and has excellent support. In a sense we could be considered a model exemplar of a club at our level. The. Marry that to the fact that club generated income can barely cover the wage bill tells me something is very wrong in the game as a whole. 

Just scratching my head about the weirdness of it all. You have to feel that owning a championship club is like playing slot machines. Keep putting the money in and pray the wheels all line up one day and you end up with a PL Jackpot. 

49 minutes ago, jono said:

It is interesting in macro/round pound economic terms and illustrates what faces champ teams.

Our turnover (20 odd million)  is roughly equivelant to our wage bill, On top of that there is another 10 million in costs needed to keep the club running, buy the odd player and invest in infrastructure. Luckily for us Uncle Mel seems happy to spend 10 million a year on his hobby. One thing for sure an average 30 million a year "free" cash makes a huge difference to the arithmetic.

I suggest that DCFC is a well run club that pays competitive wages, isn't servicing a big debt, is commercially aware and has excellent support. In a sense we could be considered a model exemplar of a club at our level. The. Marry that to the fact that club generated income can barely cover the wage bill tells me something is very wrong in the game as a whole. 

Just scratching my head about the weirdness of it all. You have to feel that owning a championship club is like playing slot machines. Keep putting the money in and pray the wheels all line up one day and you end up with a PL Jackpot. 

Oooooh hark at you! 

:p

It's the wages each team pays out I'd be interested to see. Within the space of about a week they'll have brought in 3 centre mids (Lansbury, Hourihane and Bjarnason) who are on 40k, 30k and 30k (according to reports), yet their most common formations utilise just two central midfielders. And then they've still got Jedinak, Westwood, Gardner and Tshibola who you'd assume are on rather large wages too.

Their wage bill will be up there with Newcastle which is expected from what were established Premier League sides. 

Can't expect them to suddenly slash it inline with the rest of the Championship.

Find it more interesting that some Derby fans are wanting more signings this window whilst complaining at the size of Villa's squad which was the same size as ours when I posted this earlier.

Short memories with what we did last summer, other club fans knocking us yet very few of our own raising concerns.

I get the obvious points about our spending last summer, but we wouldn't have spent reportedly 10 million if Bryson and Hughes hadn't both gone down with long term injuries on the first day of the season.

I think if that had happened with a manager more experienced than Clement and a more canny recruitment team, we wouldn't have splashed that much cash, but you should bare in mind we were in a tricky situation.

18 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

I get the obvious points about our spending last summer, but we wouldn't have spent reportedly 10 million if Bryson and Hughes hadn't both gone down with long term injuries on the first day of the season.

I think if that had happened with a manager more experienced than Clement and a more canny recruitment team, we wouldn't have splashed that much cash, but you should bare in mind we were in a tricky situation.

Didn't we also get a significant insurance windfall after they got injured that'd have an effect on the net figure ?

18 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Didn't we also get a significant insurance windfall after they got injured that'd have an effect on the net figure ?

Good point Brady I hadn't thought about that. I hate to think what the premiums are though ! .. You are insuring the wages (or part of them I guess ) so a 20k week player is a million if it's a season long cruciate .. Odds of that happening according to a risk assessor / underwriter who needs a profit. big money

2 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

We were after Butters before they got injured 

Archived