Andi Weimann - Joined Wolves on loan

DcFc Dyycheee

7 minutes ago, McLovin said:

That's a shame. If Russell does stay then hopefully it's only as a squad player, nothing more. We need to do better than Russell if we want to go up. Russell is useless on the left hand side. Would only have him if he's a back up to Ince at right wing.

I think Russell has proved he can perform well. In 13/14 he was arguably the best wide man in the division, and his stats in 15/16 were tidy. Just depends what Gary can get out of him. He's seemingly his biggest fan

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure about him being one of the best in the division in 2013/14. For me Ward was more influential in that season and McClaren liked to rotate between the 4 of Dawkins, Bamford, Ward and Russell. I was a fan of Russell back then because he was direct and took players on but now he frustrates the life out of me. He now hardly ever takes people on and instead cuts back nearly every time. His defensive work rate is very overrated too. He's only scored 1 more goal than nick Blackman this season ffs, who has been injured for the majority of it. For me, Russell needs a new challenge, it's gone a bit flat from him for a while for me. Even last season his stats were heavily inflated because the majority of his goals and assists came in the space of 5/6 game spells.If he stays then fair enough, but we'd still need to sign another winger rather than only relying on Ince from the wide positions.

19 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Not sure about him being one of the best in the division in 2013/14. For me Ward was more influential in that season and McClaren liked to rotate between the 4 of Dawkins, Bamford, Ward and Russell. I was a fan of Russell back then because he was direct and took players on but now he frustrates the life out of me. He now hardly ever takes people on and instead cuts back nearly every time. His defensive work rate is very overrated too. He's only scored 1 more goal than nick Blackman this season ffs, who has been injured for the majority of it. For me, Russell needs a new challenge, it's gone a bit flat from him for a while for me. Even last season his stats were heavily inflated because the majority of his goals and assists came in the space of 5/6 game spells.If he stays then fair enough, but we'd still need to sign another winger rather than only relying on Ince from the wide positions.

Be on fair on the bloke, he was outstanding in 13/14 and actually played v well in the final. It could be different under Rowett though, who clearly thinks he's the sort of player he wants at the club. He's made that pretty obvious. Didn't he also say at the fans forum that he believes Russell will get 10+ next season? Russell has the ability, we've all seen that, maybe he just needs the right management. He played well against Wolves, maybe with a pre season under Rowett we can see some consistency 

4 hours ago, David said:

Stats time.

15/16 - 13 starts, 1354 minutes on the pitch (15 games), 4 goals

Compare that to the much adored don't sell Johnny Russell or I'll cry...

16/17 - 29 starts, 2441 minutes on the pitch (27 games) 2 goals

15/16 - 37 starts, 3248 minutes on the pitch, (36 games) 10 goals

*Johnny Russell has had decent runs in the side, been here a long time. Weimann a game or two here and there. I know who I'd sell. 

With Rowett talking about shifting older faces, looking how many goals they bring or concede, no brainer really.

That's not really fair though is it? Goals don't reflect the input a player contributes to the team... Russell for example has defensive tendencies that, along with his pace, make him a useful asset when tracking back. In contrast, Weimann is useless defensively!

We need a new winger for next season, ideally someone better than both Weimann and Russell, but it's no surprise that over the course of a turbulent number of seasons at this club, under numerous managers; Russell has generally been preferred over Weimann. I'm happy trusting their choice.

1 hour ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

JR is a major part of Rowett's plans next season, which I'm sure you'll be enthused about, TopRam.. :lol:;)

No I'm not at all SDSR :ph34r: love the guys passion I just feel it's time to move on mate! 

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Also Russell played on the right wing back then because Ward and Dawkins played on the left hand side. He's never going to displace Ince at right wing now. Russell's decent at right wing but I'm not a fan of him at all at left wing.

I fear he might replace Ince, rather than displace him.

Someone's gotta go for big money, between him and Hughes realistically.

27 minutes ago, Topram said:

No I'm not at all SDSR :ph34r: love the guys passion I just feel it's time to move on mate! 

I would have felt the same had it not been for Rowett's view on him as a player. Guess he knows more than me. Definitely an area of the pitch we need to improve, regardless, and Russell/Anya/Camara don't really cut the mustard 

PistoldPete2
5 hours ago, David said:

I don't want to knock Johnny at all, just think we can do slightly better and as Rowett said freshen it up, he is one of the older players here now and it can become stale, wherever he goes will get a great player.  

Weimann a couple years younger, proven in the Premier League. He's already shown in flashes what he's capable of, given a real chance honestly think he can be a dangerous and quality player to have in this league.

Said it a few times, let him go on the cheap and it will come back to bite us on the arse big time.

4-2-3-1 this is his time.

Why are we comparing russell with weimann? They are different players. Johnny can play out wide. Weimann can't. That's why Johnny has had more game time. Weimann will struggle even more to get game time as we will have nugent and martin, and possibly bent if he isn't shipped out on loan. 

PistoldPete2
6 hours ago, Boss said:

Not sure he's been great at Wolves - for me he's another one that puts in the graft, but for a forward player he doesn't score anywhere near enough. Russell and Anya very similar. But saying that, if we're to ship a couple out of Anya, Russell, Weimann, Camara, I'd rather keep Russell and Weimann out of those 4 if I'm honest.

Agreed ... Anya and camara don't offer much either goals or assists. 

7 hours ago, Topram said:

Don't forget Weimann was playing premier league not Scottish prem

so are you saying he would/could out score the ones i mentioned or is this purely  a witch hunt against Russel there are 2 things in JRs favour 100% trier and obviously a v/good team player

11 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

If we sell ince and russell is our replacement I think I might move on to watching cricket

I'd give up all hope if we did that. Don't rate Russell at all. Genuinely think fans only rate him because he runs around a lot and huffs and puffs. He's only scored 1 more goal than nick Blackman despite playing many more games and fans think Blackman is the worst player ever. Fair play to Russell though, he's managed to fool many Derby fans for many years. 

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

I'd give up all hope if we did that. Don't rate Russell at all. Genuinely think fans only rate him because he runs around a lot and huffs and puffs. He's only scored 1 more goal than nick Blackman despite playing many more games and fans think Blackman is the worst player ever. Fair play to Russell though, he's managed to fool many Derby fans for many years. 

Weird how he managed to fool all those managers as well. :ph34r:

Just now, bcnram said:

Weird how he managed to fool all those managers as well. :ph34r:

The managers who wanted to get rid of him (Clement and Pearson) were sacked and weren't given an opportunity to do so. In fact all those managers have since been sacked so what does that say?

People keep telling me that we need to give Russell time and with a run of games under a new manager will get him playing well, but isn't that the same with any player? Give the same time and faith that was given to Russell this season, to Blackman and he would have scored more than Russell. Also everyone said that McClaren would get the best out of Russell as his best football came under him but that never proved to be the case so no guarantees that he will play well under Rowett 

4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

The managers who wanted to get rid of him (Clement and Pearson) were sacked and weren't given an opportunity to do so. In fact all those managers have since been sacked so what does that say?

Well to be honest it doesn't say a lot really, even though one of the managers you quoted managed to turf out our top scorer. 

Just now, bcnram said:

Well to be honest it doesn't say a lot really, even though one of the managers you quoted managed to turf out our top scorer. 

Because of off the pitch issues, how hard is that to understand? No point keeping players who didn't want to play for you or fit your style, no matter how good they are. No matter how good Martin was in the past, his attitude against Burton was appalling. 

14 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Because of off the pitch issues, how hard is that to understand? No point keeping players who didn't want to play for you or fit your style, no matter how good they are. No matter how good Martin was in the past, his attitude against Burton was appalling. 

The appalling thing that day and most games under his tenure was that managers insult on the word football. 

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Because of off the pitch issues, how hard is that to understand?

By off the pitch issues, I assume you're talking about the rumours of the clique Pearson had hanging around him? No wonder with that and his awful football 'plans' our players were disillusioned.

Archived