A fridge too far

ramsbottom

7 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I'd be rubbish as a chairman, admittedly.

I mean, imagine being chairman, having a vision for the club and Nigel Pearson turning around asking for your full support to sign players like Vydra and Anya who you know full well simply don't fit the profile.

Fawaz backed his manager to sign three players on ridiculous wages. He either lets them and is later blasted for allowing such reckless spending, or blocks them and gets called up for interfering.

Part of me feels sorry for him if put in such a situation.

I obviously would never have hired Pearson. But going back to 2014/15, I would have told Mcclaren 'No' when he asked for Darren Bent.

Perhaps that would have tipped him over the edge and towards Newcastle and I would have ben blamed for the capitulation - or McClaren leaving.

Bit if you said 'no, because if we spend that much on wages, then we'll be over budget and placed in embargo' I'm sure your manager would understand. 

Maybe Fawaz though 'I don't really think these players are worth this much, but **** it, I'm made of money, and if billy thinks it'll help us get up, then where's the harm?' The unforgivable thing is he didn't even have enough of a grasp on the finances of his own football club to realsierheh could end up in embargo. 

And then there's the most recent embargo. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Bit if you said 'no, because if we spend that much on wages, then we'll be over budget and placed in embargo' I'm sure your manager would understand. 

Maybe Fawaz though 'I don't really think these players are worth this much, but **** it, I'm made of money, and if billy thinks it'll help us get up, then where's the harm?' The unforgivable thing is he didn't even have enough of a grasp on the finances of his own football club to realsierheh could end up in embargo. 

And then there's the most recent embargo. 

But he's in a no-win situation regarding the supporters.

Billy Davies gets them to 8th in the table, asks to sign three more players on a combined £85,000 per week wages. Fawaz says no, it would soon get leaked and supporters would blame him for not funding the so-called final pieces of the jigsaw in terms of promotion.

Fawaz allows Billy to sign said players, they soon turn out to be disastrious and Fawaz is now blamed for the ensuing embargo. 

He's made so many mistakes at Forest, but with their fanbase mentality, he was always going to come under pressure should they fall short of promotion.

Reckless spending is a poor strategy for promotion, but at the same time, supporters demand investment and when the manager knocks on the door asking for three more players, what do you say?

I read Peter Ridsdale's autobiography and found his conversations with David O'Leary arguably the most interesting part of the story. 

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

But he's in a no-win situation regarding the supporters.

Billy Davies gets them to 8th in the table, asks to sign three more players on a combined £85,000 per week wages. Fawaz says no, it would soon get leaked and supporters would blame him for not funding the so-called final pieces of the jigsaw in terms of promotion.

Fawaz allows Billy to sign said players, they soon turn out to be disastrious and Fawaz is now blamed for the ensuing embargo. 

He's made so many mistakes at Forest, but with their fanbase mentality, he was always going to come under pressure should they fall short of promotion.

Reckless spending is a poor strategy for promotion, but at the same time, supporters demand investment and when the manager knocks on the door asking for three more players, what do you say?

I read Peter Ridsdale's autobiography and found his conversations with David O'Leary arguably the most interesting part of the story. 

I think the signing or non signing of players is the least of his problems. Sacking or seeing staff leave that have an idea how to run a club and pay bills on time without replacing them is one of his biggest screw ups and has been the main reason they have become such a laughing stock.

Nothing wrong with Fawaz backing his manager but plenty wrong with being completely oblivious to FFP.

Pretty sure Mel wouldn't agree with every player we've signed but he will back his manager 100%, despite this backing we're yet to receive an embargo.

Forgive my ignorance on this as I have never been involved in the process of signing a professional footballer, I was under the impression the manager or DOF in the head coach scenario would find the players, hand the list to the CEO to do the deal.

At no point does the manager have any involvement in agreeing the transfer fee or the negotiation process in agreeing terms with the player/agent.

Forest have only had a CEO for brief periods, unless I'm mistaken they didn't have one the entire time BD was at the club.

Fawaz either handed over full control to BD and his partner in crime, agreeing fees/wages or it was him that did the deal.

Fawaz has to accept responsibility here. Can't just sit there and claim ignorance and pass the blame on. As Natelie Jackson said you're the man at the top. It's your job to know what's going on with the club.

As for signing/buying and appointing managers that potential owners have requested, maybe a lesson should be learnt here. Tell them they can sign, buy, appoint who they like once the ink is dry on the sale contract and they have a bunch of keys for the City Ground.

Natalie Jackson: So Fawaz why did the club end up not paying bills in embargo etc etc?

Fawaz: It was the managees fault, it was the staffs fault, they are all gone

Natalie:But you are the owner dont you have to be responsible?

Fawaz:I dont blame any employee

Erm...isnt that what you just did?

Doubt Nigel would be stupid enough to work for an idiot like Fawaz, although if he does it'll end in tears. 

Pearce mk 2. 

BTW apologies for not showing face, I've been adapting to my new job and living arrangements, not had as much free time for chatting **** online.

13 minutes ago, Red_Dawn said:

Twitter is easy to access on the train.. You guys haven't even got Tapatalk yet! :p 

Tapatalk don't have all the forums abilities that's why, they've destroyed that app with all the layout changes whilst removing features at the same time.

Plus it leaves security holes in the site

3 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

In all seriousness I think Clough would take it purely based on the emotional side of the decision. I think Burton might block the approach though and take the decision out of his hands.

I've never known Burton block an approach, the chairman seems a good boss in that respect, and they usually recruit well to their managerial position (Rowett, JFH). If it was denied I think we'd have heard already.

Just now, WhiteHorseRam said:

Serious question -  could Forest actually disappear?

I imagine worst case scenario it would still do a Wimbledon, as its fans would set it up from square one again. But imagine not playing them for maybe 3/4 seasons?

I can't see it getting that bad, I think a relegation (which I still consider highly unlikely) is as bad as it would get. Fawaz might be an incompetent moron but I doubt they will go bust.

Archived