A fridge too far

ramsbottom

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Clough goes to Forest, it will be because Fridgy has promised him the moon, the stars (no, not the third one - no bugger will buy that tripe) and a proper club structure - and that Clough believes him. That will require the leopard suddenly finding a new onesie - and the chances of that happening are pretty small. Perhaps the message finally got home to Fawaz when he was grilled by Bignose the other night - but I doubt it.

On 27 January 2017 at 01:35, Bris Vegas said:

Reckless spending is a poor strategy for promotion, but at the same time, supporters demand investment and when the manager knocks on the door asking for three more players, what do you say?

I thought this was a Forest thread?

Wouldn't surprise me if he ends up at Forest. He would probably love nothing more than to go there, achieve success and turn us over while his at it due to the way he was treated (at the end) here.

Deep down he probably loathes Sam Rush, and the upturn in performance and results under McClaren (and the accolades that went to Smac) probably left him thinking it should have been him.

19 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Wouldn't surprise me if he ends up at Forest. He would probably love nothing more than to go there, achieve success and turn us over while his at it due to the way he was treated (at the end) here.

Deep down he probably loathes Sam Rush, and the upturn in performance and results under McClaren (and the accolades that went to Smac) probably left him thinking it should have been him.

Of course, what you want and what you get are two different things - especially where Forest are concerned. Managing that club under a certain owner must be similar to trying to ride a bicycle under water.

2 hours ago, eddie said:

If Clough goes to Forest, it will be because Fridgy has promised him the moon, the stars (no, not the third one - no bugger will buy that tripe) and a proper club structure - and that Clough believes him. That will require the leopard suddenly finding a new onesie - and the chances of that happening are pretty small. Perhaps the message finally got home to Fawaz when he was grilled by Bignose the other night - but I doubt it.

Couldnt agree more (both on the s*n and nige/fridge). 

I should imagine NC will have pretty serious questions about the plans for the club before he even discusses joining them! He's always seemed one for building the foundations first (as he did with us and Burton) so if he wouldn't be allowed to do so it'd make no sense from a football point of view. 

That leaves the obvious sentimental value, but from what I've heard from more than 1 source (not claiming I'm in the know, always open to corrections) the wider Clough family (especially his late mother) fell out with Florest big time over their lack of intervention with Brian's drinking. They who turned down many guest invertations at the city ground) feel the club let him drift and didn't help him, even when it was clear it was changing him. That's why when he was linked with us and Florest years back he dismissed them out of hand. Whether his mothers passing in the mean time would change that I don't know...if it's even true. 

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Couldn't have said it any better to be fair.

At the same time, Nigel deserves a **** ton of credit for what he did at our place which he doesn't seem to get.

5 minutes ago, whiteroseram said:

Couldnt agree more (both on the s*n and nige/fridge). 

I should imagine NC will have pretty serious questions about the plans for the club before he even discusses joining them! He's always seemed one for building the foundations first (as he did with us and Burton) so if he wouldn't be allowed to do so it'd make no sense from a football point of view. 

That leaves the obvious sentimental value, but from what I've heard from more than 1 source (not claiming I'm in the know, always open to corrections) the wider Clough family (especially his late mother) fell out with Florest big time over their lack of intervention with Brian's drinking. They who turned down many guest invertations at the city ground) feel the club let him drift and didn't help him, even when it was clear it was changing him. That's why when he was linked with us and Florest years back he dismissed them out of hand. Whether his mothers passing in the mean time would change that I don't know...if it's even true. 

Is that the same Forest that he managed for 16 years, and stuck with him?

But you would like to imagine a different reality?

9 minutes ago, eezzeetiger said:

you would welcome nigel then?

that's the non league nigel?

8 hours ago, Jordy said:

Completely agree, Fawaz is a fraud and Nigel Clough should have learnt from his experience at Sheffield United not to work for moronic trigger-happy owners. I only hope he's entertaining the idea of moving to Forest to be polite to his former club.

I accepted a long time ago he would be Forest manager one day but he would be absolutely foolish to under the current circumstances - considering he could keep Burton up and the absolute mess that Forest is right now.

He's a good manager who's had reasonable success at all 3 clubs he's been to - he deserves better than this role.

Except that NC isn't actually a good manager and he hasn't really had any successes to speak of.

5 hours ago, I Am Sheep said:

Except that NC isn't actually a good manager and he hasn't really had any successes to speak of.

I suppose that depends on how you want to define success.

You could argue he had success at Burton the first time round getting them promoted to both the conference then instrumental in promotion to the football league.

His remit at Derby was stabalising the club, stripping it of its big earners while replacing them with mostly non league/lower league bargain basement players on reduced salaries, while keeping the club in the championship....he did that and also laid the foundations still for what we have today.

Sheffield United were in the bottom 3 when he took over and he guided them to wembley and the edge of the play offs, so that could be argued to be fairly successful.

Then he went back to Burton and managed to keep them on track and gain promotion, and IF and its a big IF, they finished where they are today in the championship that would be the biggest success of all.

Of course i accept there are many arguments you can pick in each of those, but its how you want to interpret success, just like the martin thread, those that dont like himn point to 23 games without a goal, those that do point to him being our leading scorer for 3 season on the trot.

15 hours ago, eezzeetiger said:

I think it's the Forest who announced his retirement for him before the end of the season without asking him his permission first.

Just now, David said:

Villa fans seem happy he's gone

Villa fans have seen about 5 games from him and have Lansbury, Hourihane, Jedinak, Gardner and this new bloke from Basel, doesn't surprise me they aren't too fussed. I just remember him being a really good player when he broke into the Reading team, although he does seem to have picked up a fair few injuries in his short career. 

Archived