No Martin return! Lansbury bid 'up in smoke' awful display agaisnt Leeds!

FolkStar85

11 hours ago, Roboram said:

Burton in a mess ? It's all relative really I suppose 

ok they'll probably go down but wherever they end up it will be their highest placed finish to a season in their history 

Fair point. Scratch Burton from my list. Without being patronising, to even reach the championship is a great achievement. 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, FolkStar85 said:

Anyone else in need of some good Rams news?

Good job your not a forset fan you'd be suicidal. 

1 hour ago, DRBee said:

So being relegated is not 'being in a mess' . Clough has one post-match set of comments and uses them each game.

"We played well , it was just the their two goals that cost us " . 

For a club like Burton no i dont think so, they havent however yet been relegated and if the season finished today wouldnt be.

They may still go down, but i dont think a club managed on a tiny budget with small crowds competing at this level is a mess, Blackburn and Forest are two clubs i would describe as a mess and are only similar points totals.

If burton do finish where they are I would actually say its a fantastic achievement.

So 2 rumours, which some fans convinced themselves were happening, have not happened and now it's really bad news?

Why not add to the list the failure to sign Sako, Rhodes etc?

As for the Burton situation, just consider that Clough wanted to sign Buxton but could not compete with what Wigan could offer him, gives a bit of context to anyone who thinks them getting relegated means they are 'in a mess'. Absolutely clueless.

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So 2 rumours, which some fans convinced themselves were happening, have not happened and now it's really bad news?

Why not add to the list the failure to sign Sako, Rhodes etc?

As for the Burton situation, just consider that Clough wanted to sign Buxton but could not compete with what Wigan could offer him, gives a bit of context to anyone who thinks them getting relegated means they are 'in a mess'. Absolutely clueless.

Good post but I don't think missing out on Rhodes is bad news. He just wouldn't fit into our current system. He would end up being a scapegoat like Vydra unless we played to his strength which IMO is the fox in the box role. Let's be honest we aren't getting the ball in the box anywhere near enough to utilise a player like Rhodes.

On 15/01/2017 at 10:54, Harrowram said:

You forgot to mention Aston Villa. Lost again yesterday and 5 points behind us. Why would Lansbury and Rhodes move to a side which is highly likely to be in the Championship next season?

I'm guessing because Villa are willing to offer much more in wages than we might?

On 14.1.2017 at 23:11, MikeS said:

So Nugent is the replacement for Martin? Don't think so. Different player completely..and Martin is the sort we really need.

Hope we have a replacement for the Lansbury signing. Hughes' new contract was a boost but we have major work to get this squad back on track.

Martin is only the sort we need because time and time again our midfielders show they dont have the bottle to play it over the top, or indeed adapt whatsoever to any type of CF that isnt a hold up man.

Vydra is quality when you play it overe the top,

I dont believe Bent is finished if you give him some service by way of balls into the box.

You are as bad as a forest fan stuck in 1980 if you think what worked (to a degree) in 2014 is the answer now.

Hughes and Bryson are one trick ponies.... end of.

21 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Martin is only the sort we need because time and time again our midfielders show they dont have the bottle to play it over the top, or indeed adapt whatsoever to any type of CF that isnt a hold up man.

Vydra is quality when you play it overe the top,

I dont believe Bent is finished if you give him some service by way of balls into the box.

You are as bad as a forest fan stuck in 1980 if you think what worked (to a degree) in 2014 is the answer now.

Hughes and Bryson are one trick ponies.... end of.

Can't say I agree, Jager. I don't for one minute believe that a carbon copy of 2014 is what is needed, clearly it is not. But our squad is suited toward what we did back then. Perhaps our midfielders don't have the 'bottle' to play over the top (I don't agree) but if we accept your statement then what good is it saying we should play that way? A backs-to-goal striker suits our players - not just the midfielders but the inverted wingers.

The aspect of 2014 that I would replicate was our passing tempo - we were much quicker and much more 'direct' in our play. We're too easy to play against at the moment. If we can step up the pace then we're far better placed. But Butterfield and Hughes are not high tempo players - they're too similar. Bryson is past his best and our midfield on Friday night was so unbalanced it was embarrassing.

9 minutes ago, KentRam said:

Can't say I agree, Jager. I don't for one minute believe that a carbon copy of 2014 is what is needed, clearly it is not. But our squad is suited toward what we did back then. Perhaps our midfielders don't have the 'bottle' to play over the top (I don't agree) but if we accept your statement then what good is it saying we should play that way? A backs-to-goal striker suits our players - not just the midfielders but the inverted wingers.

The aspect of 2014 that I would replicate was our passing tempo - we were much quicker and much more 'direct' in our play. We're too easy to play against at the moment. If we can step up the pace then we're far better placed. But Butterfield and Hughes are not high tempo players - they're too similar. Bryson is past his best and our midfield on Friday night was so unbalanced it was embarrassing.

Lots of good points but I disagree that Will Hughes is not a high tempo player. Admittedly he does not run especially fast, but his speed of thought is right up there and our ponderous play is as much about the mental as the physical side of things.

10 minutes ago, KentRam said:

Pretty much agree with most of this apart from you saying Hughes ain't a high tempo player. I think he's more than capable of playing that way. Furthermore he knows when to switch between slow and high tempo play. His introduction on Friday gave us that impetus for those first 10-15 minutes of the 2nd half. Unfortunately he has no choice but to slow play down when there is no forward outlet. Which is what happened pretty much all night on Friday. 

@Steve How Hard!!! @HantsRam Points accepted and I agree - he certainly has the speed of thought needed to be high tempo. What I think I was suggesting is that he is more of a ball player - someone who is vital to us when under pressure as his ability to keep the ball acts as an outlet for us. He's not a Bryson or even a Johnson (last season) type player who will look to burst into the box. Perhaps the word 'tempo' was the wrong choice. Personally, I find him and Butterfield too similar - we look far more balanced with a Thorne (Holding midfielder/play-maker), a Hughes (Dictator/ball-player), a Bryson/Johnson (Goalscorer 'Lampard-esque') shape to our midfield.

Archived