Who plays CB now?

The_Sheriff

OK so Pearce come in for an out of form shackell and has been outstanding. Keogh has been ever present and captained the side well and been quality I'm just waiting for one of those runs forward to come off!

Shackell first game in a long time and he was brilliant against a good prem side with a top draw striker in rondon. Shackell took his opportunity with both hands and most seem to think he was motm. So can you drop him after that?

Who would you now play as our 2 centre backs?

Selection headache for Mac!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would play all 3 in the short term along with Baird. Either with Keogh as right back or Shacks at left back( probably Keogh at right back as he moves forward and distributes better ) When our full backs are fit again??? Nice problem to have 

Decent enough question when you take into account we went into the West Brom game straight after a centre forward in our previous game went home with the match ball.

I personally would stick with Pearce and Keogh who have served us well for a while but would gently remind them we can't be having another centre forward getting a hatrick against us. I would also explain to Shackell why I am sticking with the other two. 

Keogh and Pearce deserve the opportunity to prove the Norwich situation was a one off (in my opinion) but if it turns out it wasn't, a change will be made.

Leeds will be a big game for them, if that Wood plays, he always makes a nuisance of himself, it'll be a good game for them to put in a good shift.

Pearce has been absolutely superb. Keogh hasn't really let us down either. The Norwich game could have been just one of those days that happen during a season so I see no reason to change things.

It's great that Shackell had a good game yesterday and he needs to be told this but we've not conceded in about 7 or 8 home games on the spin.

Be stupid to change at the moment.

With the left back problem as it is he may think about 3 at the back... Or play Baird left back and Keogh right back. Who knows. 

Im very happy Shack played well yesterday. No toys have gone out of the pram it seems from him. He is a player of some stature at this level. It's a good headache for McLaren to have. 

Definitely stick with Keogh and Pearce. Yesterday at times was a rear guard action, defence deep heading crosses and making blocks, this is where Shackell excels and why he was so good for Burnley in the premiership. In games where we need to control the game and push up, he's not comfortable and Pearce is more effective.

Glad he's back and playing well though, what a great player to call on when our left back problem inevitably switches to Centre Half! 

Shackell is good in a side that has to defend and doesn't dominate the play hence why he was so good at Burnley. Keogh and Pearce are both better ball players which we need as we try and usually have the majority of the possession in the championship.

None of them are particularly good at distribution but they are all committed defenders and a threat in the opposition box and that is the way I like it.

let the midfielders look pretty let the strikers be clinical and let the defenders look mean and nasty 

25 minutes ago, Simsy said:

If you're shackell are you not disappointed if you go back to the bench? There's nothing more you could have done. 

I'm quite surprised no one has said Pearce and shackell because doesn't keogh always have a mistake in him :ph34r:

Both are used to the left side of Central defence... it takes a bit of getting used to, switching which side you play. Its not like central midfield where you are constantly swapping over.

England had the same problems over the Euros. Cahill smalling stones all play right side. Cahill has since had to learn the other side since terry stopped playing regularly for chelsea

4 minutes ago, dajstrawb said:

Everyone suggesting 3 at the back is fine and well, but where would that leave our biggest attacking threat, Thomas Ince??

Quite agree - talk of 3 at the back is absolute nonsense, we have no viable wing backs and the system would not suit our best players in Hughes & Ince. In fact, we'd be playing a system that suits absolutely nobody just because we have the luxury of a choice between Pearce & Shackell for left sided CB.

It may be harsh, but Shackell will have to return to the bench and wait for an injury/suspension/cup game.

47 minutes ago, Derbyram1983 said:

I'd go for 

keogh.     Pearce.  Shackell.  Baird

onlt until our left back is fit. Against Leeds we need experience and don't think Hanson is a full back. I think he'll make a good midfielder though 

Hate the thought of Keogh at RB. He goes wondering at CB, having the license to go forward at full back frightens me. Prefer Baird RB and Shackell LB Pearce and Keogh in the centre. They have some tricky wingers/ attackers in particular Roofe

Archived