How are us Derby fans finding McClaren 2nd time around

Curtains

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Football is much better now than under Pearson so I'm happy in that regard. But we're still miles off from the sort of football we played at times during Mac's first reign.

We won't ever hit those heights with our current squad as it is so patience and investment is needed.

That's some profound insights there buddy. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hes done okay. He's managed to create a positive vibe - who couldn't after the dark ages were set upon us - but he's been lucky and we aren't anywhere near a proper attacking side. (As you know I believe JB is one major factor in our attacking sterlilty). But we move little off the ball and we don't press much. Last 2 games are deffo cause for alarm especially Wigan which was the most insipid performance ever. The game dragged on for what seemed like 3 hours. 

Bottom line is he's decent but I don't think anyone seriously thinks he will get us promoted. He just doesn't seem to have any new ideas - the sort of which you need to separate yourself from the pack. So if we want to be a strong championship side indefinitely then he's a great choice. At least we are in with a chance every game.

And wanting to get martin back just says everything about what he brings to the table - same old.

Absolutely loving Mac being back....With him,he brought better play,more enthusiasm from the players and hope for the future.....

We aren't hitting the heights of the 2014 season yet but I'm confident that it will, especially when we get Martin back.and the system clicks back into place. 

I'm not concerned with promotion this year,I'd rather watch us playing good attacking football with great crowds and a happy team.

He is the man to take us up though and this time around he has Mel to back him up and build up the squad.....so when we do go up we have the resources to stay up.

I sincerely hope that Mac is with us for many years to come,he and derby fit like a glove.

I think in the long term, Clement would have got us up and stabilised us as a premier league team because he is more up to date with tactics than McClaren is, who widely expresses that he enjoys the coaching side of the game the most. Almost like Sam Allardyce did with West Ham when they got promoted from the championship . The football is better with McClaren but I still do think we made a mistake getting rid of Clement. If we go up with McClaren, I can't really see us staying up. A few on my Newcastle mates said McClaren was far out of his depth whenever he played against intelligent managers in the prem as he didn't know how to react in a tactical battle, despite spending upwards of 60 million to build his own team.

15 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Of course Clement made mistakes too which he widely acknowledged like against Boro away but people tend to forget that it was his first job as a manager so he was bound to make some mistakes. Shame we will never know how that would have played out

Knowing what Mel knows now I doubt Clement would have been let go. His football was a bit drab but you're right he seemed technically astute it was early days and he got too panicky when the winning stopped. We will see what he does with Swansea and perhaps that will tell us some of what might have happened

23 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I think in the long term, Clement would have got us up and stabilised us as a premier league team because he is more up to date with tactics than McClaren is, who widely expresses that he enjoys the coaching side of the game the most. Almost like Sam Allardyce did with West Ham when they got promoted from the championship . The football is better with McClaren but I still do think we made a mistake getting rid of Clement. If we go up with McClaren, I can't really see us staying up. A few on my Newcastle mates said McClaren was far out of his depth whenever he played against intelligent managers in the prem as he didn't know how to react in a tactical battle, despite spending upwards of 60 million to build his own team.

4 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Knowing what Mel knows now I doubt Clement would have been let go. His football was a bit drab but you're right he seemed technically astute it was early days and he got too panicky when the winning stopped. We will see what he does with Swansea and perhaps that will tell us some of what might have happened

One thing we should have learnt from July to September is that what a manager has done at a previous club doesn't mean one iota of what he is going to do at another club. Yes we can speculate but football isn't that simple. Clement has a different set of players with different skill set and will react differently to his plans, or he will look at what he has got an adjust his style accordingly. Exactly the same for Mac at Newcastle and here.

I am happy we had the return of the Mac, he brought confidence back to the squad and we are playing so much than earlier in the season.

Promotion?, never thought it was on the cards when we took on Pearson and I am convinced we will not get it under Mac this season. We currently don't have the quality of players to push for promotion. If we possibly get in 2 or 3  players in January then we might make the play offs, then the lottery begins, if we win the lottery then we would need to bring in around another 6 players to compete in the prem.

Its unfortunate but some on here really think bringing Martin back will bring promotion. They in for a shock, we lack quality elsewhere within the squad, not just a has been striker. 

32 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I also think Clement got sacked too quickly.  But also that there is a bit of snobbery about 'modern' coaches... players are still the same as they always were. Fergie seemed to be doing ok at 70 odd with a bunch of players who actually weren't that good....and Neil Warnock seemed to do ok last year didn't he.

13 minutes ago, toddy said:

I am happy we had the return of the Mac, he brought confidence back to the squad and we are playing so much than earlier in the season.

Promotion?, never thought it was on the cards when we took on Pearson and I am convinced we will not get it under Mac this season. We currently don't have the quality of players to push for promotion. If we possibly get in 2 or 3  players in January then we might make the play offs, then the lottery begins, if we win the lottery then we would need to bring in around another 6 players to compete in the prem.

Its unfortunate but some on here really think bringing Martin back will bring promotion. They in for a shock, we lack quality elsewhere within the squad, not just a has been striker. 

If you are referring to me there toddy,I don't believe that just bringing in Martin will get us promoted...The team needs a lot of work and new faces to achieve that,but Martin is part of the solution without a doubt....And hardly a has been, is he, with his recent goals for Fulham....Nice narrow minded click bait though,bravo

After initially eating a very thin slice of humble pie, Mac appears exactly the same as he was the last time he was here. He hasn't changed. Let's see if he can get Derby into the PL before he leaves again.

I am only cautiously optimistic about the clubs prospects, based on the turmoil of the past few years. 

3 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

If you are referring to me there toddy,I don't believe that just bringing in Martin will get us promoted...The team needs a lot of work and new faces to achieve that,but Martin is part of the solution without a doubt....And hardly a has been, is he, with his recent goals for Fulham....Nice narrow minded click bait though,bravo

Never actually thought of you when writing it [why would I], but there you go you see yourself in the statement.

We are in agreement with what I said regarding Martin, because I too believe bringing him back will not get us promoted - hence why we should be looking for a striker that would help getting us promoted and not Martin.

As for click bait  - what I wrote is my opinion after all it is a forum  and forums are where opinions are wrote.......

1 hour ago, toddy said:

We are in agreement with what I said regarding Martin, because I too believe bringing him back will not get us promoted - hence why we should be looking for a striker that would help getting us promoted and not Martin.

Who on earth is that gonna be? Vydra?! Blackman?! At least we know Martin works for us and scores goals. As for getting us promoted, it's a team game.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who on earth is that gonna be? Vydra?! Blackman?! At least we know Martin works for us and scores goals. As for getting us promoted, it's a team game.

We need a bit of quality up front, remember Boro last season went and bought Rhodes and it worked.

We need the same, a bit of quality up front -yes its a team game to get promoted as I said we are a couple of players missing for promotion. If we want promotion then we need quality midfielder or 2   + Quality Striker.......players that can survive in the prem, Martin is not one of them.

True test will be when we play someone higher than us in the league and beat them them...

Oh wait,.....does that include Premier league?!!!!

Super Mac, laughing in interview, praised fans, team kept composure, praised Camara, Bent's and Ince's goals. 

Nicking Rampages line, Steve McClaren what a guy.!

4 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

How are us Derby fans finding McClaren 2nd time around

Played 15. Won 10. Drawn 3. Lost 2.

.....................I'll have to give this one a bit of thought! :thumbsup:

I'd say the jury's out.

And by 'out', I mean 'down the pub, drinking his health'.

Archived