George Thorne

DarkFruitsRam7

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will be very annoyed if he wasn’t offered a contract.

I’d rather give him another chance and him get injured again than see him anywhere else, from a purely selfish point of view. His first game in however many months on Saturday and still the best player on the pitch. 

1 hour ago, nottingram said:

Will be very annoyed if he wasn’t offered a contract.

I’d rather give him another chance and him get injured again than see him anywhere else, from a purely selfish point of view. His first game in however many months on Saturday and still the best player on the pitch. 

Ditto.

Give him one year, with the option of a 2nd with a slight wage rise, if he stays fit.

A girl I work with knows him, and most of his family, and he loves playing for the club, so I reckon he'd jump at the chance to stay.

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Thorne, even if only fit 50% of the time is more valuable than most of the team. A new contract is a must. 

Think your miles off there ,, if he s fit only 50% of the time then he is a libity and a mill stone round the clubs neck 

7 minutes ago, nottingram said:

You wouldn’t want the best holding midfielder outside the top 10 of the Premier League for 50% of our games?

If he's only fit 50% of the time then he won't be in the team at all because he will be spending the 50% of the time when fit, getting fit enough to play.  Which is what he's been doing to date this season and, incidentally, being managed very well during the process.

What happens now is as much up to George, his agent and family as it is to the club, with a chunk of good fortune chucked into the mix

13 minutes ago, nottingram said:

You wouldn’t want the best holding midfielder outside the top 10 of the Premier League for 50% of our games?

Nope ,,, if the scenario is he is going to miss 50% of games which you cannot say when ( different if you know he will miss the first half of the season but be in for the other half) then the disruption is much too damaging and you cannot build a team round that ,,, now I'm not saying that he will be injured but merely pointing out that in my view if the club and medical staff have doubts as to whether he can gain fitness and sustain it then giving him a contract on the basis that he is good for 50% percent of games is plain stupid

is he the best holding midfielder outside top ten prem? Opinions but it is quite a lofty claim,, George is a bloody decent player but he has a lot to prove over a sustained period and not just snippets between injuries ,, we are not an endless money pit and ffp would stop us being that so high wage earners need to be out on the pitch , 

9 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

I have never seen such a sick note player as Thorne

He's not a sick note though. He played near enough every game of Clement's season before he got his leg broken. Two ACL injuries and a broken leg don't scream sick note to me. They make me think he's been unfortunate. A sick note would be someone like Jamie Ward who can only play 10 games before his hamstrings go. Thorne isn't like that. I would wager that he will be fit to play in every single game after Christmas until the end of the season.

6 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

He's not a sick note though. He played near enough every game of Clement's season before he got his leg broken. Two ACL injuries and a broken leg don't scream sick note to me. They make me think he's been unfortunate. A sick note would be someone like Jamie Ward who can only play 10 games before his hamstrings go. Thorne isn't like that. I would wager that he will be fit to play in every single game after Christmas until the end of the season.

Trouble is mel and rowett have to wager a new contract with big wages ,,, sometimes players are just unlucky or just unlucky with a certain club and it just deosnt work out ,, it's a tough one , he could move and go injury free at another club and do really well ,, we could give him a new contract and he gets another series of injuries ,either way the hindsighters will be able to say mel and rowett got it wrong ,, my hope is that we can leave the contract stuff till the end of the season and assess with Thorne being ok with that as he feels the club have done right by him but in fairness he has to maximise his earning in a short career that footballers have ,,, it's a tough call to make at this point for the club

7 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

I have never seen such a sick note player as Thorne

Ridiculous - he's had serious long-term injuries, not a host of niggles that keep him out (other than when coming back from injury which is expected for players who've been out for an extended period) - for example, Jack Wilshere is a sick note player (he'd need a month in hospital if he bruised his elbow), but Thorne has just been very unlucky with the type of injury he's experienced.

Thankfully his comeback seems to have been well managed by Rowett and that should help to ensure that he should be available for the rest of the season - I'd go so far as to say we wouldn't have signed Huddlestone if Thorne had been fit in pre-season - Thorne offers very similar passing ability and physical presence but with greater mobility. We'll regret it if we let him leave and he goes on to be the player we know he can be at one of our rivals....

On 5 December 2017 at 17:28, archied said:

Think your miles off there ,, if he s fit only 50% of the time then he is a libity and a mill stone round the clubs neck 

Have to disagree with you there mate. A mill stone implies he's dragging the club down or, at least stopping it progressing. You could argue that having him prevents us going out and replacing him but, I don't see a long list of suitable and available candidates. The only liability he represents is his wage bill. If Mel thinks he can afford him then, that's good enough for me. Man of the match for me on Saturday and, if we only have him available and performing like that for half the season then that's still more value than many others. 

10 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

'I would wager that he will be fit to play in every single game after Christmas until the end of the season.'

WOW. :blink:

George's major injuries have been seriously unfortunate. No doubting that his recoveries have had complications which could highlight problems (not necessarily with him but our rehab programmes) 

Regardless of all that I would say he's got a couple of months to show that is behind him and i would back him to earn a contract. He's a fantastic player and I'd have him in the side every match without question.

If the spine of our team was consistently Carson, Davies, Keogh, Thorne, Ledley, Vydra and Martin/Nugent for the rest of the season we'd have every chance of promotion

He's one of a very small number of individuals at the club I would actually pay to watch, so for me a new contract is a must.

His biggest asset in this team is that he is one of very few who gets the ball and his first thought is "forward".

I see and get the clamour from certain quarters for Martin not to leave; for me Thorne is far more valuable.

Archived