Bakary Sako

Nuwtfly

34 minutes ago, Papahet said:

He isn't anywhere near the Sako of old, don't get too excited. He was crap in the AFCON.

29, happy to sit around collecting his 40k at Palace it seems.

I sound like a broken record but it's the point I've been making. People just expect him to sign and instantly return to his Wolves form from a couple of years back but they don't believe Russell can return to his form of last season. 

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

I sound like a broken record but it's the point I've been making. People just expect him to sign and instantly return to his Wolves form from a couple of years back but they don't believe Russell can return to his form of last season. 

Russells form from last season? 

He was just as bad as this season. Turned up in March/April,  scored a few goals and played well. 

He even admitted as much himself when he was interviewed after the play off game at Hull. 

5 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Russells form from last season? 

He was just as bad as this season. Turned up in March/April,  scored a few goals and played well. 

He even admitted as much himself when he was interviewed after the play off game at Hull. 

Similarly to Russell, during Sako's good season in the Championship with Wolves he went on a run of 10 games without a goal. This is a comparison between Sako's 14/15 season and Russell's 15/16 season:

3aa0a051fbea0e58dc1b426dc7409000.png

Now, Sako did have over double Russell in total successful take-ons, although they had an almost identical success rate. And to be fair to Sako, one thing I was worried about with him was his lack of defensive ability, but he was only 6 tackles behind Russell's total. 

But in a season in which as you quite rightly pointed out that Russell himself said he'd had a poor season by his standards, he wasn't far off matching Sako for the season everyone remembers him being so good. The difference is one would probably be wanting over 40k a week in wages while Russell is probably on nearer half that.

4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Why does it have to be one or the other? Why can't we just have Russell and Sako then everyone's happy. It is the Derby way after all

I'd be very happy to have both. And Sako would probably be top of my realistic wish list for signings this window (although the reported wages would put me off a little), but I'm just a bit fed up of people using Russell as a reason for us to sign Sako. As I said, Sako isn't some super human, if he can regain his form from 2+ years ago after sitting on a bench for ages, Russell can do the same. 

11 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Why does every thread to a new winger result in Russell being scapegoated? He's played brilliantly recently. Some posters are pathetic for it. 

' Brilliantly' is a tad over the top!

There were 2 home games after xmas he was very poor but has improved since. It was around the time Brighton were said to have made a bid so might have had an effect.  He could be improved upon but would cost and I would certainly like it if he stayed as he will still be our third best wide forward after Ince and whoever replaces him, even if we could at the 73rd attempt at trying!!!

1 hour ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Why does every thread to a new winger result in Russell being scapegoated? He's played brilliantly recently. Some posters are pathetic for it. 

Post of the day. ?

Archived