Chrissy Martin...........no repeat guarantee

9 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

If we can land Hogan | Afobe | Abraham with the Martin money then we should move on.

He has said he is happy in the capital and wants the move permanently.

Citation needed.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Either that or a desire to see a skilful footballer who scores lots of goals and provides as many, play again in a Derby shirt. Now why would we want that! Lol.

We want to have a crack at promotion do you really think Martin wouldn't make our squad much stronger?

I think it could make it weaker!

Martin changes the way we play and how opposition play against us. Martins lack of speed means the opposition can push their centre backs up further. It also means our attacks will be more patient as Martin can hold the ball up which slows the game down which has its advantages and disadvantages.

At the minute we really are not missing CM so if it aint broke don't fix it. Cash in, move on.

1 minute ago, Simsy said:

Martin changes the way we play and how opposition play against us. Martins lack of speed means the opposition can push their centre backs up further. It also means our attacks will be more patient as Martin can hold the ball up which slows the game down which has its advantages and disadvantages.

At the minute we really are not missing CM so if it aint broke don't fix it. Cash in, move on.

Don't talk silly. We want a Plan B says everyone - won't that necessitate playing differently, derr? Of course we're missing Martin - who do we have that has replaced him?

All this talk assumes he wants to come back. Can anyone give me a good reason - and I mean a properly good reason - as to why that might be?

I can't really think of one. We're not really much better than Fulham, if better at all (we certainly weren't Saturday). Both teams have potential to become reasonable PL clubs. Both have good managers and stability. And I don't think at either club he will be the sole main man like he was here previously.

At the moment I can think of more reasons why he would stay than come back here, but interested in genuine reasons.

Btw, proper reasons are not "we've got a nice ground and training facilities" or "our crowds are bigger" etc because both are meaningless against a player's happiness and motivation. And as we know at Derby, a bigger crowd doesn't always mean a better one.

I really don't understand why people keep going on about how we need to be getting him back. At the end of the day all 3 parties need to agree to him coming back, and I can't see Fulham agreeing unless Martin throws a strop and demands to be allowed to come. We as fans and the club can talk until we are blue in the face about how much we would love him to come back, But Fulham FC couldn't give a flying fig about what we want and they will do all they can to keep him.

38 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

All this talk assumes he wants to come back. Can anyone give me a good reason - and I mean a properly good reason - as to why that might be?

I can't really think of one. We're not really much better than Fulham, if better at all (we certainly weren't Saturday). Both teams have potential to become reasonable PL clubs. Both have good managers and stability. And I don't think at either club he will be the sole main man like he was here previously.

At the moment I can think of more reasons why he would stay than come back here, but interested in genuine reasons.

Btw, proper reasons are not "we've got a nice ground and training facilities" or "our crowds are bigger" etc because both are meaningless against a player's happiness and motivation. And as we know at Derby, a bigger crowd doesn't always mean a better one.

He'd be dumb to come back - he's on an defensively soft attacking team with a Brazilian whizkid Piazon and gang around him. And he'd come back to a no guaranteed place on a defensive team ... plus we'd be dumber to take him back with the ridiculously good fee we got for a player lacking so many key attributes.

As an added bonus, youd also see a marked productivity drop off with Ince who prefers to play off Bent and come central into Martin's 2ft x 2ft area of operation

10 hours ago, Alpha said:

The thing about this debate is, love him or hate him, did we really not have a place in our squad for our 60+ goal top scorer? Not even worth a place on the bench. 

And then you get the disruptive story. That's why he was loaned out. He was caught smoking behind the canteen at Moor Farm by the DET and was also hosting orgies in the King's Corner for everyone to see. He filled his Facebook page with pictures of other people's wives. He started a blog about his sordid sex life and was once spotted in Smyth's toystore punching children. 

This is why Clement had him as captain, Nigel Clough (notoriously soft..) and Mac had him first choice. 

He was, this is fact that can be backed up by the Breakfast club Pt 1, one of the first players back for pre season. We saw him at work for no reason other than he wanted to be. He could have been on a beach somewhere. Then a year later you will find another interview where it's mentioned he was back early to make sure he was in top condition. 

In fact every summer we've had the "is it me or is Martin looking lean and mean?" topic as we tragically analyse who's wearing numbers 1-11 in training. Only to call him fat the first time he refuses to sprint after a lazy punt down the pitch. 

So on one hand we have zero evidence that he needed binning asap because he's a grade A cock. On the other hand we have no nonsense Pearson who's history of helping Palace players to their feet, educating journalists on their interview techniques and telling Leicester fans to have a safe trip. A disciplinarian who's guidance was needed desperately by our troublesome squad and his own son apparently. 

So I find it difficult to accept he was loaned out to rid the club of his vile attitude. So until all these gents with access to Martin's email start providing evidence that he was planning on killing Jews then I'll assume it was a football decision which brings back the question...

How is there no place in our entire squad for a bloke that scored 60+ goals in 3 seasons worth of football?

I'll be honest, if he found Pearson difficult to get on with then that makes me like him even more. Because that stupid lego head, who dined out on achievements less impressive than Paul Jewell's and Ranieri winning a title, is a frontrunner in the DCFC Bellend of the Decade award. 

I believe if you're going to do something then do it. 100% or not at all. So if you employ Pearson and he wants rid of Martin then so be it. But I'm not a big fan of let's make stuff up to justify it. He wanted rid of Martin and we don't know why. The End.

If I was to speculate then i'd firstly be wasting my time and secondly I'd be suggesting maybe Pearson didn't like the idea of us scoring goals. The block head tosspot

This is post of season unless Ian Holloway is sacked in the next month, the first person to post that will get the vote.

6 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Our biggest ace for a return is McClaren. If he Mac wants him to return it will hopefully put Martin in a position of really having to think about it, as his best form in his career came under Mac's stewardship.

But I think it will all boil down to how the 2nd half of the season goes. He scores a lot then he will  stay, if he doesn't and struggles for a bit of form then Fulham may not want to sign him and then he will have no choice but to come back, if he is a bit hit and miss then it will be down to him choosing between carrying on or returning.

The difficulty of answering your question with a 100% accuracy is knowing what has happened behind the scenes and whether he is more popular with Fulham's players or ours. 

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Don't talk silly. We want a Plan B says everyone - won't that necessitate playing differently, derr? Of course we're missing Martin - who do we have that has replaced him?

Well the current 2 are doing ok. Could do with a few more goals out of them but the way they play is certainly getting the best out of Ince (as well as Baird).

I really don't think we are missing him- look at our form! As good as he has been for us we cant forget those huge goal droughts he's had. Plan B is Vydra is it not? Nevertheless I don't think he would be happy being plan B when he can be Plan A at Fulham.

Either way people can't keep faith with Martin when he goes 18 games or whatever it was without a goal and then criticise our current strikers for lack of goals. That is just hypocritical.

2 hours ago, Simsy said:

In summary; you don't like Martin (and didn't as far back as April) and so are making up reasons as to why he shouldn't return. 

Slows down play hahaha, he used to be always trying first time flicks or two touch passes to speed things up… see team goals against Wolves, Bolton, Bolton again, Yeovil, Leeds, Watford, Blackpool, Bournemouth etcetera with him also coming short and playing a first time one two to open the space for the moves against Bournemouth again and Wednesday. 

Slows play down :lol:

52 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Well the current 2 are doing ok. Could do with a few more goals out of them but the way they play is certainly getting the best out of Ince (as well as Baird).

I really don't think we are missing him- look at our form! As good as he has been for us we cant forget those huge goal droughts he's had. Plan B is Vydra is it not? Nevertheless I don't think he would be happy being plan B when he can be Plan A at Fulham.

Either way people can't keep faith with Martin when he goes 18 games or whatever it was without a goal and then criticise our current strikers for lack of goals. That is just hypocritical.

vydra is hardly a plan b when he clearly needs a plan b for himself with his complete lack of goals or indeed influence on the pitch

ince is prollific,bent and russell less so but essential at the moment but if they get injured we are without anyone guaranteed to both influence a game or score goals....that why we are clamouring for martin to come back..under the mac he always provided both aspects for us and was only ineffective with ineffective managers i.e every derby manager since the mac.

and to be honest a striker like martin is the key to unlocking the final free flowing aspect of our current gamne...

if he cant or wont come back then vydra,blackman etc are clearly not the answer and we need to start shopping urgently

1 hour ago, Simsy said:

The longest Martin went without a goal for us is 11 games and 13 games, both last season/start of this. Under Mac it was 5 games. He would add to this team, no doubt about it, because he has already.

2 hours ago, Ninos said:

As an added bonus, youd also see a marked productivity drop off with Ince who prefers to play off Bent and come central into Martin's 2ft x 2ft area of operation

Whilst the goals for Ince may be less, there isn't a great deal in it between the overall goals from the striker and Ince.

Between Martin and Ince 26 goals in 55 games, a goal every 2.11 games (whilst both are on the pitch)

Between Bent and Ince 28 goals in 44 a goal every 1.57 games (whilst both are on the pitch)

Just out of curiosity Bent and Martin together 14/15 6 goals in 9 games whilst both are on the pitch

15/16 3 golas in 11 games

16/17 0 goals in 3 games

All I can take from that is they probably had about 5 matches worth of minutes on the pitch together

I find this a quandry - I think he was great, linked up play well and scored goals and made assists. Who would not want that. I also feel that sometimes he got found out, experienced centre halfs for example Dunne and Onohura ( I might be mixing the spelling up with the Star Trek girl, but you know who I mean) seemed to get the measure of him. This made the lack of a plan b even more problematic, but not necessarily his fault.

Personally I think he could be key getting a team out of the championship but I think he would struggle in the prem.

So are we talking long term or short term or both :)

16 hours ago, oomarkwright said:

I think we should cash in. Sell him and move on. If I were him. I'd stay down there. Closer to his folks too. 

My mother lives in his home town of Beccles and says she does see him in the town a lot, so clearly he spends a lot of time going home. 

Fulham to Beccles travel time 3 hours 22 minutes

Derby to Beccles 3 hours 20 minutes

So only a couple of minutes difference when there is no traffic, but with London Traffic Derby is far quicker and a lot more enjoyable drive. 

Friends in the town that know him tell me he loves Derby. 

Archived