Chrissy Martin...........no repeat guarantee

I'd welcome him back. He's not only a talent and a goal scorer, he's a different option to those at the club at present. Some of his link up play with Bryson and Butterfield last season was special. The passes for those two's goals at Fulham and Burnley were incredible. We are lacking goals from midfield. We are very reliant on Ince for goals now. 

However, results tell us we don't need Martin per se. But if you think he'd not strengthen the squad you're being naive.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The team is doing quite fine without Martin, but there again we talk about bringing Martin back as a squad player [if Martin and Fulham both are ok with this], would he want to return as a squad player?

Let us be honest here, he was a very good striker for us a few season back [he 'was' is the word], I keep hearing he did this and that with Bryson [again the word is 'did'], Bryson is not the player he was a few seasons back - Martin isn't really setting the championship alight with his current strike rate, 6 goals and that has been since April.

Maybe its time for him to go and try other adventures, maybe he's had is day, maybe he hasn't?

Would we want to unsettle what Mac has done?

Mac is right......

21 minutes ago, toddy said:

The team is doing quite fine without Martin, but there again we talk about bringing Martin back as a squad player [if Martin and Fulham both are ok with this], would he want to return as a squad player?

Let us be honest here, he was a very good striker for us a few season back [he 'was' is the word], I keep hearing he did this and that with Bryson [again the word is 'did'], Bryson is not the player he was a few seasons back - Martin isn't really setting the championship alight with his current strike rate, 6 goals and that has been since April.

Maybe its time for him to go and try other adventures, maybe he's had is day, maybe he hasn't?

Would we want to unsettle what Mac has done?

Mac is right......

http://m.derbytelegraph.co.uk/see-what-derby-county-boss-steve-mcclaren-had-to-say-about-chris-martin-his-loan-deal-and-january/story-29987191-detail/story.html

Asked if he thought it strange that Martin was allowed to go out on loan, McClaren replied: "I thought it at the time."

Martin is not, as part of the loan agreement, allowed to face Derby at Craven Cottage

"Thank goodness he cannot play against us."

From the BBC - http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38331643

"He doesn't play - thank goodness," McClaren said. "He is a goalscorer. I have the highest regard for Chris as everybody knows.

21 hours ago, cannable said:

In summary; you don't like Martin (and didn't as far back as April) and so are making up reasons as to why he shouldn't return.

Slows down play hahaha, he used to be always trying first time flicks or two touch passes to speed things up… see team goals against Wolves, Bolton, Bolton again, Yeovil, Leeds, Watford, Blackpool, Bournemouth etcetera with him also coming short and playing a first time one two to open the space for the moves against Bournemouth again and Wednesday.

Slows play down :lol:

I have never hidden from the fact that I am not a fan of Martin. So obviously I am going to say I don't want him back. 7 wins on the bounce and one loss in 11 is a pretty damn good excuse we no longer need him wouldn't you say?

By all means I genuinely am grateful what he has done here and if he comes back and scores for fun I will happily hold my hands up and say I was wrong. But whilst he is doing ok at Fulham and we can get a nice fee for him I would sell him.

He obviously slows the game down, I'm not saying all the time because yes he can do a few flicks and first time passing but a lot of the time he holds it up for the wingers to join the play. With the current strikers we have they possess a threat of getting in behind the defence causing them to sit deeper where Martin didn't have the pace to do that.

1 hour ago, rynny said:

http://m.derbytelegraph.co.uk/see-what-derby-county-boss-steve-mcclaren-had-to-say-about-chris-martin-his-loan-deal-and-january/story-29987191-detail/story.html

Asked if he thought it strange that Martin was allowed to go out on loan, McClaren replied: "I thought it at the time."

Martin is not, as part of the loan agreement, allowed to face Derby at Craven Cottage

"Thank goodness he cannot play against us."

From the BBC - http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38331643

"He doesn't play - thank goodness," McClaren said. "He is a goalscorer. I have the highest regard for Chris as everybody knows.

As I said earlier 6 goals in 9 months really does not put Martin as a prolific Striker.

Totally agree, he used to be a few seasons ago.

Time to move on, Mac certainly has.

35 minutes ago, toddy said:

As I said earlier 6 goals in 9 months really does not put Martin as a prolific Striker.

Totally agree, he used to be a few seasons ago.

Time to move on, Mac certainly has.

Darren Bent 5 goals in 14 months

Matej Vydra 5 goals in 19 months in the league

Nick Blackman 3 goals in 14 months

Andreas Weimann 6 goals in 19 months

Not really got a prolific striker do we?

Just now, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

If he cost us five million to get him back its still a bargain

I don't think it would - due to the loan arrangement it's either we get him back off loan for a refund or Fulham stump up some serious wedge. that's what gives this topic the intrigue - I'd agree Martin is worth well over £5m!

If we'd just sold him for £8-9m there would be no interest in him coming back but given this possibility that he might, with McClaren back in charge...it's just so temping. unless you're Ninos/Ince

1 hour ago, rynny said:

Forgot Mr Ince by chance.:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, rynny said:

True. We are in bad shape at the position. Fortunately we have a fantastic defence plus Bradley Fighting vehicle and WH  and we have Ince on fire. Be great if zanzala wasn't hurt and he got a go, or we could bring in some scoring sensation from abroad. 

1 hour ago, rynny said:

come on! he's barely played. He is a proven goalscorer scoring over 200 career goals at the highlest level so he certainly was a prolific striker. Whether he is now at 32 remains to be seen but give him a chance.

14 minutes ago, toddy said:

Forgot Mr Ince by chance.:thumbsup:

Didnt realise he was the centre forward or can play there.

5 minutes ago, Simsy said:

come on! he's barely played. He is a proven goalscorer scoring over 200 career goals at the highlest level so he certainly was a prolific striker. Whether he is now at 32 remains to be seen but give him a chance.

Well I was showing the current form as toddy said we arent allowed to judge on previous good form and he used the last 9 months to show Martin's poor form, so I did the same with our current strikers.

If he goes, fine! As long as we have a suitable replacement who will get us 10+ goals between Jan and end of season.

If he comes back, fine! As long as it doesn't upset the current togetherness of the team.

I actually not fussed one way or the other, just need to make sure we make the right decision that gives us the best possible chance of promotion!

Archived