Was Brian Clough more of derby fan or a forest fan? And what about the clough family?

CLOUGH1971-72

It's something I always argue with forest fans about because they seem to think that mr Clough was more forest because he was with them 18 years and won 2 European cups with them in the 70s. They also say they had the first statue put up and we copied them. And they named there biggest stand after him, where we haven't got anything like that. He got the freedom of Nottingham in 1992 and the freedom of derby in 2003. They say forest fans truely love him and we don't! 

Now I think he was more derby. Look at the facts. He moved to derby in 1967 and never left. All the Clough family still live in derby to this day. Are they derby fans or forest? Brian wrote in his book that winning the title at derby was his best archivement. And derby would be the Liverpool of the 70s and 80s had he stayed. He also says the baseball ground had the greatest atmosphere out of any football ground in England. Also he had his mermorial service at pride park and not the city ground.

when was he at his peak derby or forest?

What do you all think?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loved both but slightly differently.

I remember when Nigel first came to Derby there was an ITV program on where his wife said that first league title was always special to him. He stayed longer a forest, but also declined into alcohol and fell out with Peter Taylor. I think it was in his walking on water book he said leaving Derby was his biggest mistake in football.

Bonds the clubs together. I think the Brian Clough Trophy is a good way to show that.

The "he loved us more" thing is a bit pointless IMO.

3 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Loved both but slightly differently.

I remember when Nigel first came to Derby there was an ITV program on where his wife said that first league title was always special to him. He stayed longer a forest, but also declined into alcohol and fell out with Peter Taylor. I think it was in his walking on water book he said leaving Derby was his biggest mistake in football.

Bonds the clubs together. I think the Brian Clough Trophy is a good way to show that.

The "he loved us more" thing is a bit pointless IMO.

Pointless and childish in my opinion.

But he really did love us more :p

Think there was a thread about this last year...

PS this is like comparing your first love to your wife!  It may not last long but the first time you fall for someone is special..especially if they cruelly dump you. Added rose tinted glasses and they also get more attractive and understanding..and you muse about how it was all your fault for being arrogant and taking them for granted....

Personally I think he probably bitterly regretTed  what happened...but he's ultimately Forest ...and Nige most definitely is!!

2 hours ago, ossieram said:

Pointless and childish in my opinion.

But he really did love us more :p

The fact that you said this is pointless and childish is pointless and childish.

Also "But he really did love us more" is pointless and childish.

But I agree, he really did love us more.

Taxi in 5 minutes

8 hours ago, King Kevin said:

A lot of people think that BC and PT fell out over the move of John Roberson to Derby ,but actually it was because when Derby tried to get BC back from Forest Cloughy wanted to come back and Taylor didn't.

Never heard this story! Bit late by 1983 anyway, he'd had all the glory days that should have been ours!

10 hours ago, Chester40 said:

PS this is like comparing your first love to your wife!  It may not last long but the first time you fall for someone is special..especially if they cruelly dump you. Added rose tinted glasses and they also get more attractive and understanding..and you muse about how it was all your fault for being arrogant and taking them for granted....

Personally I think he probably bitterly regretTed  what happened...but he's ultimately Forest ...and Nige most definitely is!!

So we are essentially the hot mistress of the story? Wut!!??

10 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Nige most definitely Forest? I remember a quote about him never forgiving them for how his dad was treated as  the end and he turned the Forest job down (heard from an ex player)

8 hours ago, King Kevin said:

A lot of people think that BC and PT fell out over the move of John Roberson to Derby ,but actually it was because when Derby tried to get BC back from Forest Cloughy wanted to come back and Taylor didn't.

I thought derby wanted to get BC back in the 70's. why would they fall out over that and then work together afterwards?

Had a chat with him once about it. Was obviously very proud of his achievements with forest but did express regret it wasn't with Derby but what happened happened so couldn't do owt about it. Derby had very special place in his heart. He knew I was a Derby fan though so maybe told me what I wanted to hear

Archived