Alex Pearce ...

Ninos

All these threads about players and imo the one player that's turned our fortunes and made us a defensive fortress of a team ... from squad obscurity to first name on the team sheet,

thoughts on what he's doing or how he's done it? 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He does what, IMO, all the best centre backs do, he keeps it simple.

nothing is done if he doesn't have to do it. Doesn't need to flick the ball between his feet to turn on it when receiving it from Carson. Doesn't need to do flash control from a long ball if he can do a simple cushioned header, doesn't need to slide tackle or dive in if he can stay on his feet.

one moment stood out for me on Saturday. Rotherham, in an admittedly rare attack second half, got in behind down our right hand side. Bloke behind me was screaming at Pearce for not sprinting out to close the man on the wing with the ball. Instead he saw the danger was for the pull back to the edge of the box, read it like a book and simply headed the ball out to Baird to start a counter attack. So simple.

I started the Tom Ince thread and now feel a little guilty for not starting this one . I'm one of his biggest fans , never puts a foot wrong . Reads the game so well and barely has to make a challenge because if this . "Mr reliable " springs too mind . 

On another note he seems a top bloke too . Last player on the pitch regardless of the result and applauds EVERY stand after the game , not just the south stand . 

14 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

he does what defenders should primarily be able to do, and that is defend.

Doesn't matter how good his passing etc is if he cannot defend.

You say that but I know a player that fits your description that commanded a £50m transfer few in the summer!

What it also shows is that those of us (me included) who write players off do them a disservice. Often confidence and belief is all they need and we don't help wit our attitude to some of them.

Ince, Johnson, Pearce, Baird, Bent were listed as players to sell in many threads a couple of months back

Let's back them in good times and bad

Pearce has been excellent in recent games.

He's limited due to his lack of pace and mobility, but against 9 out of 10 forwards he's going to come up against in this league, he's a good enough defender to deal with them. 

He keeps things simple, is always well positioned, and puts his head on everything.

It's also worth mentioning he complements Keogh very well. Shackell had a tendency to try and play out a la Keogh, but these weren't his strengths. Pearce knows his game, and he sticks to it. 

When a top player at this level has his pants down, it's important for us as fans not to overreact. Over the course of a season, he's earning us a fair lot of points. 

A really simple thing that he does differently to Shackell is that unless he is under extreme pressure, every header is directed into the path of a Derby player. You can see him weighing up the options before he does it. Shackell's headers go miles but anywhere!

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

You say that but I know a player that fits your description that commanded a £50m transfer few in the summer!

absolute madness. If he wasn't Brazilian, he'd be playing at the same level as Pearce.

EDIT: you're talking about David Luiz? or are you talking about Cahill?

Shackle can tackle, head and has good positional sense .. He is Mr reliable ...

Pearce, on the other hand can do everything Shackle can do but with more precision. Add to that I think he is a better reader of the game, his choices of when to play a forward ball (or not) are better. He and Keogh clearly understand each other at and compliment each other's games. 

The final thing has to be his character ... Never a moan when out of the side, clearly a Captan when playing and with great respect for the fans.

8 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Playing well

but shackell is just as good.

You think so? It seems to me that Pearce also leads in a very positive way - he's constantly communicating and marshaling the team. And shacks' distribution has been woeful. 2 differences I see.

Archived