Alex Pearce ...

Ninos

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

absolute madness. If he wasn't Brazilian, he'd be playing at the same level as Pearce.

EDIT: you're talking about David Luiz? or are you talking about Cahill?

He was talking about stones. Very harsh on Luiz. Have you seen play this season or are you basing him on his reputation? He has arguably been the buy of the season in the premier league. The three at the back suits him so well

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jono said:

Shackle can tackle, head and has good positional sense .. He is Mr reliable ...

Pearce, on the other hand can do everything Shackle can do but with more precision. Add to that I think he is a better reader of the game, his choices of when to play a forward ball (or not) are better. He and Keogh clearly understand each other at and compliment each other's games. 

The final thing has to be his character ... Never a moan when out of the side, clearly a Captan when playing and with great respect for the fans.

Very well summed up. It's his attitude I love as much as his footballing ability. He's forming a good partnership with RK as well - they complement each other well.

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

He was talking about stones. Very harsh on Luiz. Have you seen play this season or are you basing him on his reputation? He has arguably been the buy of the season in the premier league. The three at the back suits him so well

the bloke is a maverick! He is so thick he makes Keogh look like Baresi!

He's athletic and has interesting hair, but he's stealing a living, and yes, I do watch him. I'm not the type to dismiss a player without forming my own opinion.

Never the buy of the season. Even if he was the only buy of the season.

47 minutes ago, nfb said:

People forget or don't know that he was Readings Captain and PoTY when they were promoted in 2012 ... so he was never a 'bad' player, just never got a break here... till now :) and he was free !

Agreed, people wrote him off based on the performance against Portsmouth in the League Cup last year.  But I can't recall anyone having a good game that night.  He was just written off like Kamara, Blackman &, to a certain extent, Weimann because he was never given a run in the side.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I like him, but this doesn't mean he plays better because he waves at the fans.

Agreed however there is a certain honesty about him, a good leader. 

Right.

A lot of people are preaching the 'don't write players off when they're it in the side, people wasted to sell Pearce a few months ago' and then basically writing off Shackell. Shackell might be getting old but he was fantastic last season, he was absolutely solid and made Keogh play so much better.

Anyone else remember him reading a free-kick on goal away at Brighton, scurrying back to the goal just in time to effectively clear it off the line? The closest defending gets to poetry in motion. He really improved our defensive organisation last year, which had been absolutely garbage at the end of 14/15, his confidence gave everyone else confidence.

There's no doubt in my mind that his knowledge and experience from playing under Dyche at Burnley was half of why we bought him. Knowing how they defend set pieces etc was something we really needed at the start of last season. I think he's partly to thank for how much better the defence Mac gets to work with now is compared to when he left.

However, that being said, I'm overjoyed with Pearce and happy to say he's an improvement.

He's younger, yet weirdly feels just as experienced as Shackell does. I love how completely calm he is and how everything he does is just completely assured, yet he's clearly a passionate player. As many people have said, he's extremely measured with the ball, on the air and ground, and moves the ball quickly because he keeps it simple. Add to that that he's just a top bloke and completely captain material, I can see him being a massive player for us in the next few years, no matter what level we're playing that.

But, I feel you have to appreciate that Pearce is benefitting from Shackell's work last year, Shackell is at least partly the reason he's been able to step into a confident, organised defence and settle in quickly.

6 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Right.

A lot of people are preaching the 'don't write players off when they're it in the side, people wasted to sell Pearce a few months ago' and then basically writing off Shackell. Shackell might be getting old but he was fantastic last season, he was absolutely solid and made Keogh play so much better.

Anyone else remember him reading a free-kick on goal away at Brighton, scurrying back to the goal just in time to effectively clear it off the line? The closest defending gets to poetry in motion. He really improved our defensive organisation last year, which had been absolutely garbage at the end of 14/15, his confidence gave everyone else confidence.

There's no doubt in my mind that his knowledge and experience from playing under Dyche at Burnley was half of why we bought him. Knowing how they defend set pieces etc was something we really needed at the start of last season. I think he's partly to thank for how much better the defence Mac gets to work with now is compared to when he left.

However, that being said, I'm overjoyed with Pearce and happy to say he's an improvement.

He's younger, yet weirdly feels just as experienced as Shackell does. I love how completely calm he is and how everything he does is just completely assured, yet he's clearly a passionate player. As many people have said, he's extremely measured with the ball, on the air and ground, and moves the ball quickly because he keeps it simple. Add to that that he's just a top bloke and completely captain material, I can see him being a massive player for us in the next few years, no matter what level we're playing that.

But, I feel you have to appreciate that Pearce is benefitting from Shackell's work last year, Shackell is at least partly the reason he's been able to step into a confident, organised defence and settle in quickly.

I don't think people hsve written him off. The issue I have is that he's too good to be sat on the bench, at his stage of his career he should be playing every single  game particularly with how much money he is likely to be  earning. That's why I'd cash in and get an up coming loan player as cover or invest the money in some young talent such as Nathan Smith at Port Vale(getting rave reviews).

Archived