Darren Bent

JarodyDCFC

14 minutes ago, eddie said:

It's a shock to those who want to call in this vehicle for him and Tom....

bent should be good for a good few years he certainly wont be burnt out having not palyed much for the last few years  so i hope he can get a fair crack this time and fire us into the play offs

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, barnsley ram said:

bent should be good for a good few years he certainly wont be burnt out having not palyed much for the last few years  so i hope he can get a fair crack this time and fire us into the play offs

A whipcrack, surely?

5 hours ago, barnsley ram said:

players who play on the shoulder are going to be offside martin was never offside because he played much deeper than bent

Plus, you want players like Bent gambling on when to make the run.  If he's forever waiting for the ball to be played, he's going to be flatfooted when it finally is, and have defenders on him straight away.  You want Bent making the run before the pass is played, and before the defence can react, so he's going to get caught offside if the timing isn't perfect between the runner and passer.

At the risk of sounding like a pretentious arse. Ahem.

I think Mac and Phillips might have been working Dazza on moving laterally and dropping off more, and only going in behind the defence when it's clearly on and we've worked a position.

Certainly not going offside anywhere near as much, and certainly involved in build up a lot more.

3 hours ago, needles said:

At the risk of sounding like a pretentious arse. Ahem.

I think Mac and Phillips might have been working Dazza on moving laterally and dropping off more, and only going in behind the defence when it's clearly on and we've worked a position.

Certainly not going offside anywhere near as much, and certainly involved in build up a lot more.

what would he need to learn about scoring goals? surely his goal scoring record is as good as anyones plus we have a genuine front runner who is causing problems in the air and on the floor lets just give him a good run in the team without trying to destroy him if he has one or two poor games

16 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Was absolutely brilliant yesterday at holding up the ball, always knows where Ince is as well!

Can't quite get my head around how well he is doing up there on his own. Under Pearson he looked lost and isolated. Couldn't win a header never mind hold up the ball. Just shows the influence McClaren has on him

1 minute ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Can't quite get my head around how well he is doing up there on his own. Under Pearson he looked lost and isolated. Couldn't win a header never mind hold up the ball. Just shows the influence McClaren has on him

The big difference is, we're getting people near him quickly.  Under Pearson, it was smashed forward quickly from the back, and bent had to hold it for ages while the rest of the team caught up.  Now, when he gets the ball, he's got Ince and Russell making runs around him, and butterfield and Hughes in behind waiting for layoffs.  

47 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Developing a great understanding and partnership with Ince. 

They've had that right from the start. I've always said that the opposition worry about Bent to the extent that they leave a whole load of space for Ince, which was clear as day against Rotherham when they focussed on Bent walking back towards midfield whilst Ince ran straight through the middle and onto Johnson's header!

When Pearson came he said that teams with two strikers historically do better than teams with one, which he clearly thinks is 4-4-2, but I'd argue we've got a two striker dynamic with Ince and Bent, except with all the benefits of a 4-3-3.

They've got a trust and an understanding that's created a dynamic almost like having two strikers up top, similar to how Bryson and Martin were in 13/14.

Bent's touches have got a lot better in recent weeks too, he's not the player who was hiding behind defenders under Clement, he's getting involved and taking on the responsibility of playing as a lone striker. 

Still, with all that said, he should have squared it to Ince in the box yesterday :ph34r:

On 29/10/2016 at 21:09, Parsnip said:

No! He'd have needed a hat trick today to get me anywhere near excited about Darren Bent.

I'd put Vydra in ahead of Bent all day.

Replacing Bent has to be absolute number 1 priority in January. We no longer need a Thorne backup or a RB after recent performances so let's spend it all on a new striker!

Having second thoughts yet?

On 30/10/2016 at 15:26, MuespachRam said:

Snickers are still the same things as Marathons you know, star bursts are still Opal Fruits....just because you change the name does mean it is a different competition........ Looking forward to the "no team has ever won the champions league back to back" quotes coming soon.

and by the way, I think Bent is sh1te yes, but that has nothing to do with him playing over 100 games in the first division...he is just passed it.

Having second thoughts yet?

Archived