Darren Bent

JarodyDCFC

2 hours ago, europia said:

Bent is one of only a few members of the PL 100 club still playing. So he has a great pedigree and Mac will hopefully know how to squeeze a few more performances out of this player. He could yet have a vital role to play with our current shortage of strikers. 

you do know that football did exist before 1992 don't you...? makes me want to throw up when i see "premier league" facts like that.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I havnt been disappointed by his cameo appearances this season at all. To me it seems he has really been working on his game. Obviously he doesnt have the pace he used to so he has changed his game and for the better i think. 

His link up play has noticeably improved and aerially he is better than he ever has been probably better than Martin. I would keep him in the side until he either cant carry on or we dont win. Simple really. It can only be good for his confidence to get a few starts under his belt.  Vydra is not a bad option to bring of the bench either.

17 minutes ago, David said:

Especially when they don't back up your opinion of a player :p 

Snickers are still the same things as Marathons you know, star bursts are still Opal Fruits....just because you change the name does mean it is a different competition........ Looking forward to the "no team has ever won the champions league back to back" quotes coming soon.

and by the way, I think Bent is sh1te yes, but that has nothing to do with him playing over 100 games in the first division...he is just passed it.

I had reservations but he proved me wrong.

Worth remembering that he had Tom Lees marking him who is a top defender(linked with us?).

Anyway,Benty gave him a torrid time,won everything in the air,got in behind him etc.

He did run out of steam and hobbled off but a good effort.

I can't see him doing it every saturday and tuesday though.

I agree that we need another out and out striker come January.Unless Mac works magic on someone.

6 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Snickers are still the same things as Marathons you know, star bursts are still Opal Fruits....just because you change the name does mean it is a different competition........ Looking forward to the "no team has ever won the champions league back to back" quotes coming soon.

and by the way, I think Bent is sh1te yes, but that has nothing to do with him playing over 100 games in the first division...he is just passed it.

qru0tt.jpg

Overall for me he'd been pretty disappointing of late, whether as a cameo sub or else from the start but must admit that was his best outing for some time, without being out of this world, he at least contributed to the build ups and got involved whereas he has had a tendency to go missing for large parts previously. I'd be surprised if he managed to keep that level of performance up every week though given the bigger picture. Can only see him being a short term option.

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

you do know that football did exist before 1992 don't you...? makes me want to throw up when i see "premier league" facts like that.

I'd like this 100 times if I could ! 

Bent played well, and I don't recall him going offside. Offered more than we've seen from other strikers this year so he gets to keep the shirt on Saturday I'd imagine. I won't be banking on him finding the goalscoring streak he had when he first came in, but you never know. 

Not exactly a full member of the Darren Bent fanclub myself, but I will say his best spell for us came under McClaren and what a spell it was. Surely deserves at least a smidgeon of a second chance given McClaren has returned?

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

You could say top flight and it would still be true so this is pedantry of the worst kind. You have a valid point but given that it's not really relevant you just come across as a bit of a mardarse.

10 hours ago, WystonRam said:

Did some excellent defensive work for us too at set pieces.

Our new starting 11:

Carson

Ince          Bent         Butterfield       Russell

Hughes     Johnson

Christie              Keogh                    Lowe

Pearce

1 hour ago, Tombo said:

You could say top flight and it would still be true so this is pedantry of the worst kind. You have a valid point but given that it's not really relevant you just come across as a bit of a mardarse.

I think you've completely missed his point.

I believe he's saying that it's as if "the top flight" didn't exist before Sky bought the rights for it in 1992.

Don't really know what angle you're coming from.

8 minutes ago, philmycock said:

I believe he's saying that it's as if "the top flight" didn't exist before Sky bought the rights for it in 1992.

I think you've both misread the thread title. It says 'Darren Bent' not 'Sky TV ruined everything good about football'.

42 minutes ago, philmycock said:

But it would have had to say "English top flight 100 club" when there's no member of that club that has played in the top flight before 92! therefore "PL 100 club" is accurate and more concise

Archived