Steve Bruce and his brand of "survival" football? No thanks.

Mostyn6

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

someone with a bit of style and the right philosophy for football, ie potential for success AND proven style.

Karl Robinson, Mark Warburton, Tony Mowbray, Malky Mackay, Ian Holloway, Neil Warnock, Steve McClaren, Paul Lambert.

These two in particular are people I'd be looking at and who we should have been interviewing in the summer. I'd like Mac back but (rightly or wrongly) there's animosity from fans towards him that'd mean things could turn sour if he doesn't start well.

I don't think I'd touch any of the rest of them though.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

mate, having been in your company and witnessing the way you reacted to decent but unsuccessful football, I'd have to replace all your footwear for velcro, take your belt off you, keep you away from train tracks and not let you up any high buildings if Bruce was in charge! I value you too highly to watch you dive out of a window!

What about average, but successful football?

4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

seeing the way you judge football, Barcelona are slightly below average, so, nah, Bruce won't reach those heady-heights x

We get out of bed the wrong side? I'm taking note of the sly digs... Can't recall ever saying Barcelona were below average. But as you wish...

8 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Aidy Boothroyd has been considered for the England job. You should have a Google at the list of players given an England Cap and apply the same logic.

Do you think about the division you're in when you're watching a match? What's more fun? Beating Rotherham 3-0 or losing 5-0 to Man City. 

Some of us go to football for fun and entertainment. And I've been to enough Premier League games to tell you winning and losing them is no different to winning and losing them here. Oh it might be for the first season. People want to see their team winning. They don't care what league. They think they do but when your jumping up and down celebrating the beautifully worked 4th goal at a dead Oakwell I guarantee you won't give a flying fook about the division. People just want fun. And promotion is something to celebrate. Nobody here or in Sunderland wants to be the toilet paper of the Premier League. I 100% guarantee that after 1 season of being a Sunderland that you'd see the exact same sort of comments you see now. You think Derby fans weren't restless in 2001? You think we were having more fun in 2001/2002 than 2013/2014? 

Steve Bruce plays boring percentage football. 

And some of the stuff I'm reading is the exact same logic as what was used for Pearson. And he is/was crap. 

Who we appoint should be a bloke who likes to bring through youth. Likes creative attacking football on the front foot. Has dealt with pressure situations and isn't an arrogant lunatic. Not somebody who has a good record of getting teams up and keeping them up. Like Jewell and Pearson who did this and that's about the only thing they had that was fitting our criteria.

Spot on. To add to that I think the mentality of playing percentage football and trying to scrape points is fundamentally flawed and a big part of why teams who do that struggle in the premiership. It's extremely difficult to try to scrape draws and crappy wins when your opposition is likely to have extremely good individual talent who can regularly pop one in from 25 yards and undo all your hard work. The teams who do well when they go up now are teams with an established play philosophy which has a more controlling/attacking slant to it. Despite this probably leading to more losses it importantly allows them to win more games and actually take advantage when a good team has a 'day off'. Also it makes it much easier to recruit for and improve the side which allows for more of a seamless transition into the league. Teams like Swansea, Bournemouth, Southampton and Watford have shown that you don't have to go up and just wallow at the bottom of the league, celebrating every miserable point you earn.

Didn't Hull score more goals than Derby and Sheffield Wednesday last season? Survival football? I don't think it's quite that bad. It might not be pretty, but Bruce has a solid track record at this level.

Two promotions each with both Hull and Birmingham. 

I wouldn't want him though. I'd rather us appoint a 433 man who likes attacking football.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Aidy Boothroyd has been considered for the England job. You should have a Google at the list of players given an England Cap and apply the same logic.

Do you think about the division you're in when you're watching a match? What's more fun? Beating Rotherham 3-0 or losing 5-0 to Man City. 

Some of us go to football for fun and entertainment. And I've been to enough Premier League games to tell you winning and losing them is no different to winning and losing them here. Oh it might be for the first season. People want to see their team winning. They don't care what league. They think they do but when your jumping up and down celebrating the beautifully worked 4th goal at a dead Oakwell I guarantee you won't give a flying fook about the division. People just want fun. And promotion is something to celebrate. Nobody here or in Sunderland wants to be the toilet paper of the Premier League. I 100% guarantee that after 1 season of being a Sunderland that you'd see the exact same sort of comments you see now. You think Derby fans weren't restless in 2001? You think we were having more fun in 2001/2002 than 2013/2014? 

Steve Bruce plays boring percentage football. 

And some of the stuff I'm reading is the exact same logic as what was used for Pearson. And he is/was crap. 

Who we appoint should be a bloke who likes to bring through youth. Likes creative attacking football on the front foot. Has dealt with pressure situations and isn't an arrogant lunatic. Not somebody who has a good record of getting teams up and keeping them up. Like Jewell and Pearson who did this and that's about the only thing they had that was fitting our criteria.

This is exactly the type of lack of ambition I'm talking about, how do you know we would lose 5-0 to Man City? Not as if we would be playing teams like Man City every week anyway. Have you got a crystal ball? With this current team probably yes but if we went up there would be lots of changes to enable us to compete. Say that to Leicester fans, I dare you. Boro fans are also  having the time of their lives now they're back in the prem, do you think they'd rather be back in the championship beating Rotherham 3-0? Absolutely not, they're going with the flow in the premier league and are loving the challenge of competing with the big boys. If we don't want promotion by any means then we might as well sell Hughes in January then because I guarantee he would rather play in the premier league than beating the likes of Rotherham.

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

Spot on. To add to that I think the mentality of playing percentage football and trying to scrape points is fundamentally flawed and a big part of why teams who do that struggle in the premiership. It's extremely difficult to try to scrape draws and crappy wins when your opposition is likely to have extremely good individual talent who can regularly pop one in from 25 yards and undo all your hard work. The teams who do well when they go up now are teams with an established play philosophy which has a more controlling/attacking slant to it. Despite this probably leading to more losses it importantly allows them to win more games and actually take advantage when a good team has a 'day off'. Also it makes it much easier to recruit for and improve the side which allows for more of a seamless transition into the league. Teams like Swansea, Bournemouth, Southampton and Watford have shown that you don't have to go up and just wallow at the bottom of the league, celebrating every miserable point you earn.

Swansea,Southampton and Watford have all changed their style to a more solid foundation in order to compete. They have changed their mentality to defending is the most important aspect.

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

This is exactly the type of lack of ambition I'm talking about, how do you know we would lose 5-0 to Man City? Not as if we would be playing teams like Man City every week anyway. Have you got a crystal ball? With this current team probably yes but if we went up there would be lots of changes to enable us to compete. Say that to Leicester fans, I dare you. Boro fans are also  having the time of their lives now they're back in the prem, do you think they'd rather be back in the championship beating Rotherham 3-0? Absolutely not, they're going with the flow in the premier league and are loving the challenge of competing with the big boys. If we don't want promotion by any means then we might as well sell Hughes in January then because I guarantee he would rather play in the premier league than beating the likes of Rotherham.

Here's the thing, if you get things right in the first place you don't need "lots of changes" you can just bring in a couple top draw players that fit nicely into your pre-established system and philosophy. In fact, if you have to do that you're probably going to flounder. Promotion by any means necessary is a complete backwards way of managing a club and doesn't provide long term success. Teams such as Southampton have shown how to go about things to ensure long term success and is a template we should aspire to.  

9 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Swansea,Southampton and Watford have all changed their style to a more solid foundation in order to compete. They have changed their mentality to defending is the most important aspect.

They haven't changed their style so much as tweaked it, it's predominantly the same philosophy. It's not as if they've gone from being possession based sides to grindy percentage football is it ?

15 minutes ago, McLovin said:

And you totally missed the point of the post.

If we are winning most of our games, are you sat there after each win, thinking "I wish we had just played Man U away" or "We could have been playing Arsenal at home today" or are you happy that we had just won. In the prem, we are not going to win more than we lose. Nobody needs a crystal ball to tell us that. Our 3 best seasons in the prem we had a record of;

96/97 W11 D13 L14  12th

97/98 W16 D7 L15 9th

98/99 W13 D13 L12 8th

Most would say that is the best football we have played since Cox got us 5th, and probably the best we had played since Dave Mackay was in charge and we only just managed to do it.

And just to point out the next 3 seasons W9 D11 L18, W10 D12 L16, W8 D6 L24.

6 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

someone with a bit of style and the right philosophy for football, ie potential for success AND proven style.

Karl Robinson, Mark Warburton, Tony Mowbray, Malky Mackay, Ian Holloway, Neil Warnock, Steve McClaren, Paul Lambert.

Ok ,enough managers their to last Mel till the end of the season,but then weree doooomed

8 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Work with a Blackburn fan and Lambert had them playing woeful football...

30 minutes ago, toddy said:

We have to give Chris Powell till the end of the season, his man management of the players maybe better than Pearson's.

This is what I'd like to do, provided there are shoots of improvement during this 'interim' period.

I'd genuinely love it if he does well because I think he's the sort of character the club can really rally behind.

Steve Bruce should stick to doing what he does best. Acting. He was excellent in Casualty. (Pictured).

p00tkxx0.jpg

Sorry. I just love that picture.

I actually really like steve bruce. I think he'd get us up in a couple of seasons. What's not to love about that nice fat geordie teddy bear??? Get him in!

Archived