Steve Bruce and his brand of "survival" football? No thanks.

Mostyn6

Steve Bruce is being touted as a “favourite” amongst Rams fans to replace Nigel Pearson as Derby manager, and this fills me with ‘meh’!

Whilst he has achieved success in terms of promotion, the brand of football ALL of his previous sides have produced can be kindly described as “survival football”. I think it’s fair to say I’d rather have Billy Davies back, at least there was some quality football on offer.

I said a few times over the past couple of seasons that for me, being in the Premier League is not the “be all and end all”, and I’d much rather see a Derby side be competitive and enjoyable for 90% of the season in the Championship, than go through what Sunderland fans are going through.

Steve Bruce? No thanks.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Steve Bruce is being touted as a “favourite” amongst Rams fans to replace Nigel Pearson as Derby manager, and this fills me with ‘meh’!

Whilst he has achieved success in terms of promotion, the brand of football ALL of his previous sides have produced can be kindly described as “survival football”. I think it’s fair to say I’d rather have Billy Davies back, at least there was some quality football on offer.

I said a few times over the past couple of seasons that for me, being in the Premier League is not the “be all and end all”, and I’d much rather see a Derby side be competitive and enjoyable for 90% of the season in the Championship, than go through what Sunderland fans are going through.

Steve Bruce? No thanks.

Ditto!! (Enough said)

4 minutes ago, Muskination said:

For me, being in the Premier League is the be all and end all. 

I'd father endure (and succeed) with relegation battles and be in the game, than endure more mid table or thereabouts mediocrity and growing national embarrassment.

Tbis 'attractive footbal'l bs is a furphy.

cos last time we were in the PL was nowhere near as embarrassing as losing in the Playoff final, was it! ??

5 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

cos last time we were in the PL was nowhere near as embarrassing as losing in the Playoff final, was it! ??

You missed the word 'succeed', which is what you stated Steve Bruce was good at. That season in the prem (2007/08) with the awful Billy Davies was what commenced our reign as national embarrassment.

Bring back Billy Davies. Pfft.

Depends how the club views him long term. If they want SB to get us up and keep us up and build our future, then I am inclined to agree. However if it is "get us up, take a nice bonus and see you later" then that could be different.

Look at what Ranieri did when Pearson was removed, having got Leicester up, and kept them there. Look at Saints after they replaced Adkins when he got them up. Hughton at Newcastle (went a bit Pete Tong later on I suppose).

Would Ranieri have gotten Leicester out the Championship, or Pochachino (Sp) getting Saints up? Probably not. Using an experienced Championship manager to get out of the league, then looking forward seems like a viable option. 

*didn't work with Pearson but don't count them in the same league managerial wise.

26 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

Depends how the club views him long term. If they want SB to get us up and keep us up and build our future, then I am inclined to agree. However if it is "get us up, take a nice bonus and see you later" then that could be different.

Look at what Ranieri did when Pearson was removed, having got Leicester up, and kept them there. Look at Saints after they replaced Adkins when he got them up. Hughton at Newcastle (went a bit Pete Tong later on I suppose).

Would Ranieri have gotten Leicester out the Championship, or Pochachino (Sp) getting Saints up? Probably not. Using an experienced Championship manager to get out of the league, then looking forward seems like a viable option. 

*didn't work with Pearson but don't count them in the same league managerial wise.

mate, having been in your company and witnessing the way you reacted to decent but unsuccessful football, I'd have to replace all your footwear for velcro, take your belt off you, keep you away from train tracks and not let you up any high buildings if Bruce was in charge! I value you too highly to watch you dive out of a window!

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

When we signed Pearson I wished we'd signed Bruce... He's an ever sao slight step up in quality from Pearson...

Out of interest... Who was pro-Pearson but is anti-Bruce?

Smacca-back please...

1 hour ago, Muskination said:

For me, being in the Premier League is the be all and end all. 

I'd father endure (and succeed) with relegation battles and be in the game, than endure more mid table or thereabouts mediocrity and growing national embarrassment.

Tbis 'attractive footbal'l bs is a furphy.

You would really be happier at Manchester City.

Steve Bruce? No thanks.

Steve Bruce? No thanks.

:ph34r:

4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I was put in my place, so now I am making a demand.... 

I have to say I said a similar line to this part 

I said I would much rather go through the 13/14 season than 06/07 season.

1 minute ago, Simsy said:

Bruce is a good manager. He gets results so I wouldn't mind if he came in. To be honest I cant think where he has failed?

He's a marketing man's deram - if you own a chip shop.

2 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Bruce is a good manager. He gets results so I wouldn't mind if he came in. To be honest I cant think where he has failed?

he has a few relegations on his CV, if Billy is regarded as failure, surely Bruce can be relatively judged.

Archived