Steve Bruce and his brand of "survival" football? No thanks.

Mostyn6

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

Karl Robinson, Mark Warburton, Tony Mowbray, Malky Mackay, Ian Holloway, Neil Warnock, Steve McClaren, Paul Lambert.

Steve McClaren?Paul Lambert? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Go home you're drunk. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Warburton, possibly robinson is the only name i would want from that list.

id rather see Gary Monk than most on that list., who was part of the swansea remoulding for years and did pretty good with their brand of football as a coach when he first came in.

Warnock is a poor mans Pearson, I hate the man... plus he is only good at turning sides who are disorganised into being competitive. Same goes for Mick McCarthy. Unless we have a major shift in the types of central midfielders we have at the club then these are a no go..... and if we did go down that route we should have stuck with Pearson.

7 minutes ago, Simsy said:

are those serious suggestions? :huh:

5 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Steve McClaren?Paul Lambert? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Go home you're drunk. 

realistic suggestions who all play football the right way and have all had more success than Derby have in the last 15 years. They are potential and have mostly achieved promotions playing similar to the perceived 'Derby Way'.

DEL, to mock both McClaren and Lambert shows a distinct ignorance from yourself, unless it's cos it is me suggesting them, which then shows a distinct level of immaturity. Perhaps you should go and play on the park and leave the discussion to the growed-ups.

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

realistic suggestions who all play football the right way and have all had more success than Derby have in the last 15 years. They are potential and have mostly achieved promotions playing similar to the perceived 'Derby Way'.

DEL, to mock both McClaren and Lambert shows a distinct ignorance from yourself, unless it's cos it is me suggesting them, which then shows a distinct level of immaturity. Perhaps you should go and play on the park and leave the discussion to the growed-ups.

The SAME Steve McClaren that disrespectful to Derby County Football Club.. Sort it out. 

Just now, rynny said:

I missed where he was disrespectful? I would be happy to have Steve back. 

So Steve wasn't disrespectful to Derby County re Newcastle job? Whatever. 

4 minutes ago, Yani P said:

Refused to rule out going to Newcastle throughout the back end of a crucial season? Leading to claims that his head had been turned and his mind was not on the job he was being well paid for (again challenges that he never refuted)

Not sure what more people wanted from him

27 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

The SAME Steve McClaren that disrespectful to Derby County Football Club.. Sort it out. 

When?

Please give just one example.

21 minutes ago, Yani P said:

Refused to rule out going to Newcastle throughout the back end of a crucial season? Leading to claims that his head had been turned and his mind was not on the job he was being well paid for (again challenges that he never refuted)

He ruled it out with every single word he uttered - but you read between the lines. He was then sacked and went to Newcastle, so I suppose that it is inevitable that you will blame him for that and say "I told you so", but would he have gone if he hadn't been sacked?

I suppose only you know the answer to that.

I will go as far as saying that sacking Steve McClaren is, in my opinion, the biggest mistake that Mel Morris has made.

When asked by Mel who I wanted to see as manager after Clement went, I said Steve McClaren, and nothing that has happened before or since has convinced me that I was wrong.

6 minutes ago, eddie said:

He ruled it out with every single word he uttered - but you read between the lines. He was then sacked and went to Newcastle, so I suppose that it is inevitable that you will blame him for that and say "I told you so", but would he have gone if he hadn't been sacked?

Do you want the Mac back Eddie 

On your head be it then. 

26 minutes ago, eddie said:

I will go as far as saying that sacking Steve McClaren is, in my opinion, the biggest mistake that Mel Morris has made.

When asked by Mel who I wanted to see as manager after Clement went, I said Steve McClaren, and nothing that has happened before or since has convinced me that I was wrong.

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments, I would worry about the circumstances we are in now being quite different than we he took charge.

Under Clough we had a tight-knit group of talented young players willing to play good football and we were stable in midtable. This meant when Mac took over he could make a few tactical tweaks, loan players to fill in a couple gaps and coach the best out of the team to get us flying. Whereas right now we have a bloated squad with various players for various systems most of which are low on confidence and belief as we sit precariously above the relegation zone (plus there is no more loan window to take advantage of). I think if he'd have taken over in the summer he would have been able to do a good job because of maneuverability in the transfer market, to changes the few faces that don't fit.

My other big worry would be his relationship with the fan base because there is a fair amount of animosity, which could cause things to quickly turn sour if he doesn't have an immediate impact.

With all that said I'd much prefer him than a lot of other names being touted such as Steve Bruce.

4 hours ago, eddie said:

He's a marketing man's deram - if you own a chip shop.

Actually, I saw him on some football show the other night and to be fair it looked like he'd done some weight so I think he's giving it a go. People can be whatever weight they like if they're happy but i feel he isn't with all that burden on the system and being an ex pro and all that.

He looked quite well actually as opposed to many other times I've seen him on the touchline with that sleeping bag coat he wears looking seconds from coronary distress.

Good luck to the bloke.

3 hours ago, McLovin said:

Never knew you were a psychic. You said that you wouldn't want to see what Sunderland fans were going through, what's that then? Being in one of the best leagues in the world. Sunderlands's problem is that they don't have stability. If Big Sam was still there they wouldn't be in a relegation battle imo. Steve Bruce can't be that bad, the FA were considering him to become the new England manager. Not good enough for little old Derby but good enough for England? Makes sense

Aidy Boothroyd has been considered for the England job. You should have a Google at the list of players given an England Cap and apply the same logic.

Do you think about the division you're in when you're watching a match? What's more fun? Beating Rotherham 3-0 or losing 5-0 to Man City. 

Some of us go to football for fun and entertainment. And I've been to enough Premier League games to tell you winning and losing them is no different to winning and losing them here. Oh it might be for the first season. People want to see their team winning. They don't care what league. They think they do but when your jumping up and down celebrating the beautifully worked 4th goal at a dead Oakwell I guarantee you won't give a flying fook about the division. People just want fun. And promotion is something to celebrate. Nobody here or in Sunderland wants to be the toilet paper of the Premier League. I 100% guarantee that after 1 season of being a Sunderland that you'd see the exact same sort of comments you see now. You think Derby fans weren't restless in 2001? You think we were having more fun in 2001/2002 than 2013/2014? 

Steve Bruce plays boring percentage football. 

And some of the stuff I'm reading is the exact same logic as what was used for Pearson. And he is/was crap. 

Who we appoint should be a bloke who likes to bring through youth. Likes creative attacking football on the front foot. Has dealt with pressure situations and isn't an arrogant lunatic. Not somebody who has a good record of getting teams up and keeping them up. Like Jewell and Pearson who did this and that's about the only thing they had that was fitting our criteria.

To save anyone reading all that I'm voting "I'd rather eat dog ***** than see us hire Bruce" 

Fook me, make going to football fun. Make Derby look like they're having fun and trying to win ffs. We've just had a couple of months of WBA mode and it's bloody rubbish Zzz

Archived