Steve Bruce and his brand of "survival" football? No thanks.

Mostyn6

24 minutes ago, eddie said:

You would really be happier at Manchester City.

I'm not sure that the poster alluded to wanting to win everything, just that they would be happier competing in a higher league than we are now.  I would happily take a Billy Davies promotion season over any since then, and just because we were an embarrassment last season doesn't mean it would happen again.  

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Mostyn6 said:

he has a few relegations on his CV, if Billy is regarded as failure, surely Bruce can be relatively judged.

but are these relegations from teams he got up in the first place?

I'm not saying he would be my first choice but if he is capable of getting us promoted that's not a bad appointment there are so many worse out there!

just out of interest who would you want in charge?

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Steve Bruce is being touted as a “favourite” amongst Rams fans to replace Nigel Pearson as Derby manager, and this fills me with ‘meh’!

Whilst he has achieved success in terms of promotion, the brand of football ALL of his previous sides have produced can be kindly described as “survival football”. I think it’s fair to say I’d rather have Billy Davies back, at least there was some quality football on offer.

I said a few times over the past couple of seasons that for me, being in the Premier League is not the “be all and end all”, and I’d much rather see a Derby side be competitive and enjoyable for 90% of the season in the Championship, than go through what Sunderland fans are going through.

Steve Bruce? No thanks.

I *sort of* agree with this part. Definitely prefer a team that plays fast-paced attacking football (in whatever league). Having said that it would be nice to have a promotion (we've been in Championship a decade now haven't we?), not for long-term Premier League glory, but just for the thrill of "our moment in the Sun". 

Plus the problems that have arisen from our near-misses are well documented. In an ideal world our mentality would be "unlucky chaps - we missed out again but not the end of the world. We'll have another go next year - and at least we're nice to watch" but sadly the psychological affect is actually very negative for fans / club / players alike.  

This is what I don't understand. People assume if we go up we will struggle. Yes we very well may do but we will attract a higher calibure of player to compete. Isn't that what fans pay to see? Quality players playing for the club. Leicester got Cambiasso, West Ham got Payet, Boro got Negredo and Valdes. Who is to say that we won't pull a gem out of nowhere. Man City were an average club but then came the sheik money, who is to say something similar wouldn't happen to us if we went up?

He should of walked the league with the squad he had at Hull last year, he plays very flat formations and his teams are far from good to watch. Doesn't make sense at all.

I don't think we will be rushing into getting a new man in, if that right man is not available.

We need a manager who looks to play possession football but at a fast pace, who likes to press high up the pitch and never let teams settle, this is when we are at our best.

Just now, McLovin said:

This is what I don't understand. People assume if we go up we will struggle

we are talking about whilst being managed by Steve Bruce, so, we WILL struggle. Look how much he spent at Hull prior to their relegation, didn't help them. He's been awful at Sunderland, Wigan and Birmingham too in the PL. Whilst not a disaster, certainly not enjoyable to watch. It's an entertainment business.

It's typical of the English mentality to consider consider failure as success. It's like with the national team before the euros saying that getting passed the quarter finals would be a success. No,no,no anything but winning is a failure. The German media ripped Germany to shreds after they got knocked out in the semis to France, do you think they considered getting to the semi finals as success? No absolutely not, France also got ripped to shreds despite getting to the final. You should always aim high. If you aim low it's no surprise that you don't get success. Think of it like a GCSE exam paper. If you aimed for a C then it's highly unlikely that you would get anything above that. In contrast, if you aimed for an A* then you would more likely than not get well above a C grade because you're ambition wanted more than that. The same applies here, we should be aiming to become a top premier league club, not just to get out of the division. Brendan Rodgers gets slaughtered for making delusional comments, like Celtic would be a top 6 premier league club, do you know why he says things like this? It's not because he genuinely believes it but because he wants his players and fans to believe it to help them continue to improve themselves immensely and to aim as high as possible.

16 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

we are talking about whilst being managed by Steve Bruce, so, we WILL struggle. Look how much he spent at Hull prior to their relegation, didn't help them. He's been awful at Sunderland, Wigan and Birmingham too in the PL. Whilst not a disaster, certainly not enjoyable to watch. It's an entertainment business.

Never knew you were a psychic. You said that you wouldn't want to see what Sunderland fans were going through, what's that then? Being in one of the best leagues in the world. Sunderlands's problem is that they don't have stability. If Big Sam was still there they wouldn't be in a relegation battle imo. Steve Bruce can't be that bad, the FA were considering him to become the new England manager. Not good enough for little old Derby but good enough for England? Makes sense

6 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

@McLovin that's a different discussion entirely. I think Steve Bruce doesn't bring the level of success and entertainment we want.

You mean you want? A lot of fans are fed up with hovering with the promotion spots and just want to go up now, by any means. We can adapt our style back to pretty football when we get to the premier league when we can target the calibure of players to allow us to do so. The 2013/14 season was good entertainment  but I think the season after that and the feeling that QPR robbed us, people wanted to get over the final hurdle and that has been the case since then

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

You mean you want? A lot of fans are fed up with hovering with the promotion spots and just want to go up now, by any means. We can adapt our style back to pretty football when we get to the premier league when we can target the calibure of players to allow us to do so. The 2013/14 season was good entertainment  but I think the season after that and the feeling that QPR robbed us, people wanted to get over the final hurdle and that has been the case since then

given what I read here during Clements relatively successful time, and since, I am not alone in wanting to ENJOY football.

People here wouldn't have Billy Davies back even if it guaranteed promotion, simply cos they didn't enjoy the football, I personally think Billy doesn't get the credit he deserves.

If you think teams can adjust from agricultural and effective Championship football and switch to pretty and entertaining football in the Premier League, you're pretty deluded, but I'm sure you can provide a plethora of examples.

I can only think the reverse.

3 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

given what I read here during Clements relatively successful time, and since, I am not alone in wanting to ENJOY football.

People here wouldn't have Billy Davies back even if it guaranteed promotion, simply cos they didn't enjoy the football, I personally think Billy doesn't get the credit he deserves.

If you think teams can adjust from agricultural and effective Championship football and switch to pretty and entertaining football in the Premier League, you're pretty deluded, but I'm sure you can provide a plethora of examples.

Obviously the adaption from agricultural football to free flowing attacking football wouldn't get place over night, it would be a gradual process that takes place over a few seasons and a number of transfer windows to allow us to bring in the players to help the change. Just my opinion. 

6 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Stoke and Wigan are the only two examples I can think of. Took Stoke about eight years as well! 

On the flip side, teams that are promoted from this division playing football tend to surpass expectations and have a large number of players make the step up. 

Being as it has been mentioned here. In our 11 point disaster. Billy Davies left in November with Derby languishing at the bottom of the league with 6 points. Enter Jewel for over half a season and we get a further 5 points, yet it always seems to be Billy that gets it in the neck!!!!!

I am not a fan of either but can't understand this.

On the current subject with regards to Steve Bruce. No ta

7 minutes ago, Simsy said:

@Mostyn6 come on. Give us a realistic name. Who would you appoint if you had the choice?

someone with a bit of style and the right philosophy for football, ie potential for success AND proven style.

Karl Robinson, Mark Warburton, Tony Mowbray, Malky Mackay, Ian Holloway, Neil Warnock, Steve McClaren, Paul Lambert.

Archived