The absolute class of Chris Powell

Ewe Ram

I like Powell always have, however we'll only find out what he's like as a manager if we give him a go. He can't be worse than Pearson and at least last night the players looked like they were playing for him. There are trickier games ahead but there would be no harm in seeing how it goes for a few games? After 4 games or so we may be waving him goodbye or clamouring for him to stay on permanently. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bosshogg said:

I like Powell always have, however we'll only find out what he's like as a manager if we give him a go. He can't be worse than Pearson and at least last night the players looked like they were playing for him. There are trickier games ahead but there would be no harm in seeing how it goes for a few games? After 4 games or so we may be waving him goodbye or clamouring for him to stay on permanently. 

I agree that Powell couldn't possibly do worse than Pearson at the moment. 

BUT when the season is mid way through and the pressure is mounting. I don't think Powell could do a job for us. He did fairly well at Huddersfield, had an average time at Charlton. But he has never really been a promotion chasing manager.

Just don't feel he would be able to get us to that end of the table. He defiantly could stop us from being relegated lol. 

1 minute ago, RamsPolls said:

BUT when the season is mid way through and the pressure is mounting. I don't think Powell could do a job for us. He did fairly well at Huddersfield, had an average time at Charlton. But he has never really been a promotion chasing manager.

Just don't feel he would be able to get us to that end of the table. He defiantly could stop us from being relegated lol. 

Average time at Charlton? I can only assume you mean in this league - he got them promoted from League 1 with 101 points.

Just now, Animal is a Ram said:

Average time at Charlton? I can only assume you mean in this league - he got them promoted from League 1 with 101 points.

Yes sorry! 

I'm talking about his time in this league, If we were relegated and needed someone to bring us up then he would be my man of course lol

5 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Powell's Charlton team were not helped or backed by the board at all, not sure it's fair to judge him there.

7 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

Powell like Wasall just needs time in a job.

He was harshly sacked at both huddersfield and charlton whilst doing a good job.

If he got us to mid table or bottom half, given where we are now, that equates to play off form, and would no doubt carry it on given a full season or 2. Managers need time to build if you ask me.

Wouldnt it be great if an honest , genuine , good professional , nice all round guy like Chris Powell succeeds  at the Rams in amongst all the murky goings on in football at the moment . Best of luck Chris you have my full support and if the powers that be at DCFC decide you are the man for the job , lets hope all the players and fans at our club support you in your quest to get the Rams back in the top flight

'Judge a man by the company he keeps ' springs to mind.

Powell comes across as such a nice guy, and I'm sure he is, but is and has been fulsome in his praise of Nigel Pearson from the off.

Maybe we had the right guy all along, or is Powell's judgement wrong?

If it is wrong, maybe he's not the best candidate to lead us going forward?

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

'Judge a man by the company he keeps ' springs to mind.

Powell comes across as such a nice guy, and I'm sure he is, but is and has been fulsome in his praise of Nigel Pearson from the off.

Maybe we had the right guy all along, or is Powell's judgement wrong?

If it is wrong, maybe he's not the best candidate to lead us going forward?

R.D Plenty of rams fans like Powell because he did good things in the past for us. C.P likes Pearson because he did good things for him in the past.

Powell's judgement clouded or not is influenced by Pearson encouraging him into coaching, think it's as simple as that mate.

Have to like the Powell myself because he clearly likes our club, doesn't mean he's a great manager but he's more tested than Wassall at championship level and he's here now. I'd be prepared to give him a try as Tuesday's performance convinced me worst case scenario of going down looks unlikely and who knows he could suddenly get us to gel with the new found 4-3-3, albeit against a poor team.

Either way there are worse options than C.P and I don't want another expensive mistake. Hope Mel gives him a fair crack myself.

2 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

R.D Plenty of rams fans like Powell because he did good things in the past for us. C.P likes Pearson because he did good things for him in the past.

Powell's judgement clouded or not is influenced by Pearson encouraging him into coaching, think it's as simple as that mate.

Have to like the Powell myself because he clearly likes our club, doesn't mean he's a great manager but he's more tested than Wassall at championship level and he's here now. I'd be prepared to give him a try as Tuesday performance convinced me worst case scenario of going down looks unlikely and who knows he could suddenly get us to gel with the new found 4-3-3 albeit against a poor team.

Either way there are worse options than C.P and I don't want another expensive mistake. Hope Mel gives him a fair crack myself.

Fair enough, playing devil's advocate to no avail, it seems!

Hes a solid Championship manager with plenty of experience in dealing with the media.

Which, it seems to most fans is important.

How they react to defeats, game throwing away, certain questions etc always seems to go under the microscope.

Especially when i consider how both Wassall and Pearson were treated by fans.

The most important thing is, he buys Mel time aswell.

We dont need to rush into getting the best candidate only for him to fail again, Giving CP the job at least until the end of the season will mean stability and hopefully wont be as naieve as Wassall was due to his experience.

On 9/27/2016 at 22:18, archied said:

Really???? ,, I read it very differently and he went down in my estimation,, he's desperate for the job

Wow. Herein lies the problem I suspect. There really is no pleasing some folk. We could have someone with Pep Guardilola's nous and Salma Hayeks tits and folk would still be moaning. Let's wait 5 mins before the sharp knives come out for crissakes. I despair!

Archived