The absolute class of Chris Powell

Ewe Ram

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

And each one was sacked....

why are you arguing with me, I'm making a valid point. It's not fair to dismiss the potential of Powell on the basis of something that wasn't used to dismiss the potential of the previous managers and didn't affect their ability to perform to a decent level in most cases here.

If you don't like what I post cos it's me, then please block me and leave me alone. thanks

There is no reason why chris powell can't be succesful at Derby.

he had a very limited budget at charlton and huddersfield but we have a good squad with two players for virtually every position and good financial backing.

We looked so much better v cardiff.

round pegs in round holes. Butterfield outstanding in the middle.

good use of subs.

ince smiling and blackman looking useful.

three steps forward. 

24 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

why are you arguing with me, I'm making a valid point. It's not fair to dismiss the potential of Powell on the basis of something that wasn't used to dismiss the potential of the previous managers and didn't affect their ability to perform to a decent level in most cases here.

If you don't like what I post cos it's me, then please block me and leave me alone. thanks

Didn't think I was arguing with you, I was adding additional info to your post.  Are you saying that you only want people to post when they agree with you ?!

Interesting point though, are you saying Clement performed at a decent level? 

As for Powell, he wasn't considered good enough in the summer, what has changed ? His excellent performance as a number 2 to NP ? I personally think this would be a strange backwards appointment based upon his previous managerial stints, however what would concern me more is the reaction he would get should things go wrong.  He is the only survivor of the management team, and should he be given the managerial appointment on a long term basis it could end up as wassall part deux, but worse.

1 hour ago, Derbados said:

Powell needs to be given a chance here, promoted with Charlton and then finished 9th with them in the championship,

He also made some shrewd signings there. No reason he cant take us forward, it's about time he had another promotion :thumbsup: 

Completely agree! :thumbsup:

And also managed to get Blackman is break his duck!

I always look back to Shaun Barkers testimonial. Obviously different being a manager but the players all seemed to be having a great laugh with him. This also seems to be the case from the snippets on the training ground I've seen (similar to when Steve Mac was here). I  therefore think he's won half the battle with Derby in getting the players to play for him.  He's also going to have lots more patience with the fans with being a Derby great. His job to lose imo. 

1 hour ago, Leeds Ram said:

Didn't think I was arguing with you, I was adding additional info to your post.  Are you saying that you only want people to post when they agree with you ?!

Interesting point though, are you saying Clement performed at a decent level? 

As for Powell, he wasn't considered good enough in the summer, what has changed ? His excellent performance as a number 2 to NP ? I personally think this would be a strange backwards appointment based upon his previous managerial stints, however what would concern me more is the reaction he would get should things go wrong.  He is the only survivor of the management team, and should he be given the managerial appointment on a long term basis it could end up as wassall part deux, but worse.

A lot has changed since the start of the summer, namely we are far less attractive prospect now than in the summer and it's much harder to get manager's to change clubs midseason. In the summer there were plenty better candidates but now they probably won't come which leaves us with a bit of a predicament. Another thing to consider is that Powell is effectively going to get a trial period because of Pearson being suspended where we can't hire a new manager. If during this trial period we start playing well, you have to consider at least letting him have the season don't you ? And honestly given our start, I'd take a Wassall part deux in a heartbeat. At least he had us playing good football and we remained in play-off form during his tenure.

2 hours ago, r_wilcockson said:

I always look back to Shaun Barkers testimonial. Obviously different being a manager but the players all seemed to be having a great laugh with him. This also seems to be the case from the snippets on the training ground I've seen (similar to when Steve Mac was here). I  therefore think he's won half the battle with Derby in getting the players to play for him.  He's also going to have lots more patience with the fans with being a Derby great. His job to lose imo. 

This is crucial. It really shouldn't be, but unfortunately it's where we're at as a club. We desperately need a manager who can unite the fanbase and make the home fixtures slightly less terrifying for the players. That shouldn't be the case either and I'm not letting the players off the hook for being mentally fragile, just accepting the reality that they certainly are. Even people against the appointment couldn't bring themselves to be immediately vocally negative against Powell. The benefit of Pearson being suspended as opposed to sacked is that Powell should have a few games to show what he's all about before we have to make a decision.

I'd absolutely love Powell to become a success here. 

When it comes to picking a manager, I just think it can be a mixed bag. Pearson, for me, looked like the perfect choice on paper, but he was simply awful. It's not to say he's a bad manager and won't do well elsewhere, but he was ruining us. 

I look at Barnsley's manager, he literally had next to no experience, but he was able to take a team in the bottom three and win promotion. He was the right fit for them and the players he had at the club.

It's difficult to pick a manager. I think someone like Tim Sherwood could potentially be masterstroke, but I do hope Powell proves to be the man. 

If the players are still lacking confidence, then yes a Sherwood/ Keegan type of motivator could be a fit.

Lets see how they perform at Reading, if we play like we can do, let's leave CP in charge, he will deserve a go.

Just now, IlsonDerby said:

Think it would be very sensible to keep Powell in for October and November. If things are picking up, performances improving, under 23s featuring and were creeping up the league and are in the top half by the end of November then keep him on

I don't mean we get a win with the last game of November to scrape into 12th on goal difference. I mean we look comfortably like a top half side that could push for top 6. That would be a solid turn around from where we were Tuesday afternoon.

On 28 September 2016 at 16:36, RamNut said:

Give him the job.

(altho the interview was a bit OTT in praise of Pearson, and that might cost him).

Sounds as though that interview annoyed mel

Archived