Press attempt to derail another England manager.

Mostyn6

30 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Damn straight.  We call for the heads of Sepp & his croanies at FIFA or their corruption then spit the dummy out and defend one of our own to the hilt.  I'm sorry but doing something illegal, is doing something illegal regardless of what your nationality or job title is...

so remind me what he's ACTUALLY DONE that is illegal.

Talking about something isn't always illegal.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I haven't read the full transcripts and the extracts I have aren't black & white.  The point I was trying to make is that a lot of posters are calling out the press and having double standards if they had the pitchforks out for FIFA.  I'm sure if it was Jorge Mendez or Unai Emery they'd be crucifying them...

54 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

May be not illegal (in this instance - still far from convinced he came out of the Panorama documentary smelling of roses) - but he's certainly brought the game into disrepute simply by talking about it. In his position as England Manager (and thereby a direct employee of the FA), he simply can't talk about how to get around FA rules....It's like a policeman advising a potential criminal about the best way to commit a crime and get away with it. Allardyce simply has to be cleaner than clean....

43 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Dunno, you asked the question :-D

Peter Taylor did one game, as did Stuart Pearce. Howard Wilkinson also did 2 separate spells of 1 game..

As for people criticising the Telegraph, for me this is proper journalism. It's not a puff piece for a donor nor is it blatantly pushing the owners opinions, it's proper digging journalism to root out corruption and wrong doing which is something sadly lacking these days, MP's expenses probably being the last big one I can remember that a paper broke. Sadly these days the press seem to mainly be cheerleaders for a certain political standpoint, both left and right, and we as the populists suffer as a result.

We all hate Sepp yeah? it's only because of Andrew Jennings that his true nature ever came to light, whereas everyone else (including our media and politicians fawned over the man) lauded the man, all the time wjilst Jennings was dismissed as a 'conspiracy loon'

My word I miss stuff like World in Action and the Cook Report.

6 hours ago, Duracell said:

Really can't believe that people are criticising the Telegraph for this, like they'd rather not know that Big Sam is more than happy to take part in the coruption that's rife in English football.

The bloke literally took the first opportunity to abuse his position and earn a bit of money on the side, advise people he'd just met on how to break his employer's rules, purely in the name of personal financial greed.

Greedy, arrogant, Dinnasour is what Sam is, how stupid and thick was he on a 3million a year contract to travel and not think he was on a sting from the press. Took £400,000 and deserves all he gets which is the sack. Yes Woy, Gary agents keep all that in doors with trusted friends. What a twit. 

5 minutes ago, Andrew James said:

Greedy, arrogant, Dinnasour is what Sam is, how stupid and thick was he on a 3million a year contract to travel and not think he was on a sting from the press. Took £400,000 and deserves all he gets which is the sack. Yes Woy, Gary agents keep all that in doors with trusted friends. What a twit. 

Has it been proven that he took £400,000?

18 minutes ago, Andrew James said:

he hasn't took any money, he agreed in principle to be an adviser, which isn't illegal, and he did so on the understanding it was approved by the "powers that be". 

At worst, he's been a gobby moron.

You do realise that breaking Football rules is NOT the same as breaking the law.

Joey Barton is being investigated for gambling on football matches, which is NOT illegal, it's just against Football rules!

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/fa-chiefs-set-to-sack-allardyce-over-corruption-allegations-2kd5q78ss

Football Association chiefs are close to sacking Sam Allardyce as England manager after allegations he used his position to negotiate a £400,000 deal and appeared to offer advice on how to circumvent rules on player transfers.

FA chairman Greg Clarke and chief executive Martin Glenn were holding an emergency meeting at Wembley this morning and are understood to be extremely disturbed by the allegations.

The pair were planning to talk to Allardyce – who was heading for Wembley – for his side of the story before making a final decision but from what has been revealed so far they are understood to…*

*story ends because of the paywall.

For those saying what he has done is not illegal, that is ok, but what Glenn Hoddle was supposed to have said was not illegal either but it got him sacked. I am not justifying what he said far from it, but surely as manager they are supposed to lead by example and be an ambassador for the sport.

England manager alleged to be offering advice for money on how to circumvent Football Association rules, yet it's the press who are to blame?

Seriously, if this is true, how can the FA have one of their top employees allegedly giving advice on how to avoid their own rules, and for cash? Even if he now can't take the cash, the fact that he was prepared to set up the deal is enough to tarnish the FA's reputation!

How can anyone defend that if it's true? 

29 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

England manager alleged to be offering advice for money on how to circumvent Football Association rules, yet it's the press who are to blame?

Seriously, if this is true, how can the FA have one of their top employees allegedly giving advice on how to avoid their own rules, and for cash? Even if he now can't take the cash, the fact that he was prepared to set up the deal is enough to tarnish the FA's reputation!

How can anyone defend that if it's true? 

To be fair what he was saying wasn't really advising how to circumvent the rules as such, just stating the bleedingly obvious. There is big money to be made in English Football, and there exist ways to get around third party ownership, the FA's crusade against third party ownership was never about "modern slavery" or anything else, it was about an effigy to burn and a market to strangle. 

The £400,000 they talked about was for him to be an advisor, and from what they showed this was not connected with the other allegations. 

To be honest, as much as the England manager should know not to be trashing the crusades of his employers, I don't really see what all the fuss is about. He's not done anything specifically illegal from what I can tell, what he said didn't really constitute lessons in how to circumvent the regulations, rather just describing in a matter of fact way it was being done. 

This all said, watching England eat itself is always a giggle. 

4 minutes ago, Albert said:

To be fair what he was saying wasn't really advising how to circumvent the rules as such, just stating the bleedingly obvious. There is big money to be made in English Football, and there exist ways to get around third party ownership, the FA's crusade against third party ownership was never about "modern slavery" or anything else, it was about an effigy to burn and a market to strangle. 

The £400,000 they talked about was for him to be an advisor, and from what they showed this was not connected with the other allegations. 

To be honest, as much as the England manager should know not to be trashing the crusades of his employers, I don't really see what all the fuss is about. He's not done anything specifically illegal from what I can tell, what he said didn't really constitute lessons in how to circumvent the regulations, rather just describing in a matter of fact way it was being done. 

This all said, watching England eat itself is always a giggle. 

That's because you are Australian and have natural sympathies with other criminals.:D

1 minute ago, uttoxram75 said:

That's because you are Australian and have natural sympathies with other criminals.:D

The only criminals there were the British invading and displacing the traditional landholders. Was the national sport before you invented football though. Sadly for Britain though they weren't half as good at football. 

In any case, I honestly don't get what the big deal is here. People are conflating the £400k payment, but that had seemingly nothing to do with the third party payment conversation, at least from what they've released. He even said that he had to run that offer past the powers that by (i.e. the FA), there was literally nothing dodgy there. The depth of it appears to be him trash talking the FA's pet projects, though that alone could justify his demise. 

Archived