Players or Manager

ram1964

9 minutes ago, Alpha said:

It confuses me. 

Nigel Clough rebuild wasnt failure. 

Then the last 3 seasons are failure. 

But the dream? The ultimate success? Being midtable in the PL. 

I don't get it. I dunno whether Derby fans expectations are stupidily high or tragically low. 

All i know is that i enjoyed football a lot more in the failure seasons. 85pts, top scorers.. i like failure i think

Spot on. With you 100%

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The manager is to blame. Like many have said, the last 3 seasons have not been failure, enthralling football most weeks.... all 3 previous managers got these players into the top 6.... this numpty however has got the same lot in the bottom 3.... MM wont sack him, pretty sure of it, not until december atleast unfortunately, my problem is that if he went now, someone can come in and steer us back to the top 6, however it will be 25 odd games in unfortunately until he is booted out and we will be too far away from rescuing the season.

The manager takes the blame. In every single job around the world if staff are not performaing the manager takes the blame.

People have been saying we have failed for three years in a row because we haven't been promoted and the only constant has been the players. Well I'm going to use the same argument here. These same players have been in the top six for 3 years regardless of the manager. Whether it was two-timing Steve McClaren, the [REDACTED] Paul Clement, or the amateur Darren Wassall, this team has been up there. 

This manager has taken us into the bottom three from 5th in the league, and it's a situation entirely of his own making.

Anyone watching yesterdays game would have to be extremely disappointed in most of the players performance and attitude. Cant really be too critical of new signings Anya & Vydra, who must wonder what that have let themselves in for. Otherwise the players selected were not doing the job that they are paid extremely well to do. 

Why it's Pearson's fault:

He hasn't really impressed as a manager anywhere except from Leicester, which now you think about it is kind of embarrassing for him since a virtually unknown manager managed to win the league with virtually the exact same squad Pearson had. This tells me that Pearson was poor as the manager as Leicester because he probably should have achieved so much more. Then he joins us and brings in some new players to suit the new system (4-4-2). That's fine. However some of the players in our squad just can't suit that formation, for example Tom Ince and Johnny Russel (And surprisingly enough both have been dropped despite being some of our best players). When watching the highlights on the YouTube channel or RamsPlayerHD you can really only see Anya,Vydra and Wilson involved in attacks. Where are all the other players? Butterfield is only involved when he takes hopeful shots from outside the box and Hughes and Bryson just seem to pass and not get involved. Why did Pearson never stick with that 4-1-4-1 formation that got us a result against Preston? Why did he switch to a formation that virtually all the players can't play in? Pearson has been stupid as far as management goes so far this season, this 4-4-2 is never going to work. However the players have to take some responsibility aswell. 

You can't blame the players if they aren't suited to Pearson's management. I guess they could try and adapt to his playing style better.

I personally blame the negativity of the Derby fan base because the boos were massive at the iPro and that obviously affected the players performance. Against Aston Villa when the Derby fans started livening up Derby started playing some good football and ended up finishing that game the stronger team. But it's too late now to stop the negativity so I may aswell join in.

Double relegation anyone?

3 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Our players are to blame by a country mile! It doesn't matter who's in charge, it's clear to see some just don't want to be there! 

If that is the case you have to ask:

1. Why don't they want to be there? Is that due to the managers methods, or are they simply bad eggs?

2. If it's the later, then why does Pearson keep picking them in that case? Why not bring in someone from the bench who should be chomping at the bit? And if all those players don't want to be here, then I think you can say the fault lies with the manager, because if a manager has managed to alienate half the squad then he has no future at the club.

I think it takes some mental strength and bottle to be a manager who comes in and demands things change. One thing's for certain in my mind, the spine of this team is damaged, whether it be mentally or physically, the failures (to be ultimately successful) were persistent and frequent.

I personally wanted to see what McClaren would do in the transfer window but he was sacked. I would hope he would've binned Keogh and wouldn't have bought Shackell. But we will never know. I think Wassall deserved a chance at a transfer window, he earned it IMO.

However, under review, it has to be said, for a variety of little reasons, this squad, playing the way it has for a few years, hasn't got what it takes to compete against the best teams and gain promotion.

So, what do you do? 

Well, you get in the man that knows how to get promotion, AND you tell him he can do it HIS way, and he's allowed to change the failing current way. It may not be pretty until people get on side or leave, but it will get there and it needs a massive mentality shift.

Our struggles, in my opinion, aren't necessarily tactical or formation-based, but perhaps mindset and mentality. We have players affected by atmosphere, perhaps too sensitively, we have players who cannot make the right decisions when it counts. We have players who go through the motions when they are truly needed to stand up and be counted.

Being asked to play 10 yards deeper or wider IS NOT a good enough reason to not be up for the battle.

This manager, whilst being stubborn and possibly costing us immediate points, is doing the right thing long term. He will weed out those holding us back, whether it be the fans favourites like Hughes, Bryson and Keogh, or the easy targets like Johnson, Blackman and Bent. If they aren't up for the fight, get rid. Nigel Clough would have, to his credit, so allow Pearson the same luxury.

Whilst I'm not excited by Pearson, and I wouldn't have selected him, he's started doing the right thing for the club, and should be allowed to finish it. I blame the players, they should be willing to do what it takes, not sulking cos it's not easy as it used to be.

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I think it takes some mental strength and bottle to be a manager who comes in and demands things change. One thing's for certain in my mind, the spine of this team is damaged, whether it be mentally or physically, the failures (to be ultimately successful) were persistent and frequent.

I personally wanted to see what McClaren would do in the transfer window but he was sacked. I would hope he would've binned Keogh and wouldn't have bought Shackell. But we will never know. I think Wassall deserved a chance at a transfer window, he earned it IMO.

However, under review, it has to be said, for a variety of little reasons, this squad, playing the way it has for a few years, hasn't got what it takes to compete against the best teams and gain promotion.

So, what do you do? 

Well, you get in the man that knows how to get promotion, AND you tell him he can do it HIS way, and he's allowed to change the failing current way. It may not be pretty until people get on side or leave, but it will get there and it needs a massive mentality shift.

Our struggles, in my opinion, aren't necessarily tactical or formation-based, but perhaps mindset and mentality. We have players affected by atmosphere, perhaps too sensitively, we have players who cannot make the right decisions when it counts. We have players who go through the motions when they are truly needed to stand up and be counted.

Being asked to play 10 yards deeper or wider IS NOT a good enough reason to not be up for the battle.

This manager, whilst being stubborn and possibly costing us immediate points, is doing the right thing long term. He will weed out those holding us back, whether it be the fans favourites like Hughes, Bryson and Keogh, or the easy targets like Johnson, Blackman and Bent. If they aren't up for the fight, get rid. Nigel Clough would have, to his credit, so allow Pearson the same luxury.

Whilst I'm not excited by Pearson, and I wouldn't have selected him, he's started doing the right thing for the club, and should be allowed to finish it. I blame the players, they should be willing to do what it takes, not sulking cos it's not easy as it used to be.

Would be keeping that same faith in Pearson if we are in the bottom six come Christmas?

8 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

So, what do you do? 

Is relegation worth it?

14 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Would be keeping that same faith in Pearson if we are in the bottom six come Christmas?

8 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Is relegation worth it?

I'll say the same to both of you, we won't be. We will not be in the bottom six and we will be nowhere near relegation. I have already said/written, I am not impressed and nor did I want Pearson, but the vocal whingers got what they wanted and he is doing what DOES need to be done. My faith is that these players will realise they won't win against Pearson. They cannot coast along in the comfort zone.

Hull at home in the play-off 1st leg is ALL the reason I need to say the manager is doing the right thing.

I'll say the same to both of you, we won't be. We will not be in the bottom six and we will be nowhere near relegation. I have already said/written, I am not impressed and nor did I want Pearson, but the vocal whingers got what they wanted and he is doing what DOES need to be done. My faith is that these players will realise they won't win against Pearson. They cannot coast along in the comfort zone.

Hull at home in the play-off 1st leg is ALL the reason I need to say the manager is doing the right thing.

We are dealing with hypotheticals here. It's okay saying that you think we won't be down there at Christmas, but IF we are would you still support him?

If he was doing the right thing we should be seeing some improvement, but I can't spot one thing we have improved with under Pearson. This is a squad that have been competing at the top with 3 different managers and now are in the relegation zone, how can the manager not get blamed for this?

Archived