Players or Manager

ram1964

Lets face it we have a core of good players who are playing with shattered confidence.Pearson said himself that you could feel the anxiety from them,not wanting the ball,afraid to make a mistake.He puts it down to lack of effort,i put it down to a manager so pig headed and egotistical that he cannot inspire and motivate players to play to their true ability.

In my opinion this team is not bottom three material,they just need a leader on and off the field,wheres a Mackay or Stimac when you need them,Pearsons disinterested post game interviews prove he just doesnt have a clue what to do to turn things around,if he stays in charge the future looks very bleak.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, cannable said:

That isn't clear at all. That's pure guesswork.

It's classic fan behaviour. Which players look slightly unhappy with the way things are going on the pitch or the role they are being asked to play? Must mean they don't want to be here. Not that they are professionals who dislike losing or are unhappy with the way things are going at the moment.

3 minutes ago, CROSSWORD said:

Lets face it we have a core of good players who are playing with shattered confidence.Pearson said himself that you could feel the anxiety from them,not wanting the ball,afraid to make a mistake.He puts it down to lack of effort,i put it down to a manager so pig headed and egotistical that he cannot inspire and motivate players to play to their true ability.

In my opinion this team is not bottom three material,they just need a leader on and off the field,wheres a Mackay or Stimac when you need them,Pearsons disinterested post game interviews prove he just doesnt have a clue what to do to turn things around,if he stays in charge the future looks very bleak.

Welcome to the forum.

In regards to his interviews, he looks to me as if he's deliberately trying not to say anything too thought provoking, so he can't be picked up on it by the media.

Until yesterday that is.

3 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

We are dealing with hypotheticals here. It's okay saying that you think we won't be down there at Christmas, but IF we are would you still support him?

we have hypothetically as much chance of being in the top 6. Last season we gave Brighton a 12 point headstart and still got above them by Christmas. Whilst unlikely to happen, it could. I will watch closely. Part of me thinks a manager should put the team ahead of his own personality, but Pearson has only just got here, and MUST be allowed to change things. If you strip your engine to clean and improve it, you obviously cannot drive it until it's put back together. There is something wrong with this team, he is trying to put it right. As for your question, in honesty, it will be more than league position I will be using to judge him. If I can see the roots of a plan and a style, and a upward trend in performance and attitude, I will still support him. But, if we are down here near the bottom and he looks bereft of ideas, a la Jewell and Clough, then my support will be a bit more lacking.

3 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

If he was doing the right thing we should be seeing some improvement, but I can't spot one thing we have improved with under Pearson. This is a squad that have been competing at the top with 3 different managers and now are in the relegation zone, how can the manager not get blamed for this?

when you take things apart, they don't work as well. If you are judging this current run, is it any worse than the run that saw Clement sacked?

6 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

when you take things apart, they don't work as well. If you are judging this current run, is it any worse than the run that saw Clement sacked?

Thought the Clement sacking was justified as I bought into Mel's vision of 'the Derby way', but this appointment has seemed to throw all that out the window and left me more confused about Clement's sacking. 

53 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Our players are to blame by a country mile! It doesn't matter who's in charge, it's clear to see some just don't want to be there! 

If I was someone like Hughes, I wouldn't want to be here.  Having had umpteen seasons of being used properly and flourishing, to suddenly spending huge chunks of the match watching balls sail 30 yards over his head, being sat in midfield on his own with no one to pass to and the manager slagging him off in the media at every opportunity, surely the bigger question is why would he want to stay?

10 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

we have hypothetically as much chance of being in the top 6. Last season we gave Brighton a 12 point headstart and still got above them by Christmas. Whilst unlikely to happen, it could. I will watch closely. Part of me thinks a manager should put the team ahead of his own personality, but Pearson has only just got here, and MUST be allowed to change things. If you strip your engine to clean and improve it, you obviously cannot drive it until it's put back together. There is something wrong with this team, he is trying to put it right. As for your question, in honesty, it will be more than league position I will be using to judge him. If I can see the roots of a plan and a style, and a upward trend in performance and attitude, I will still support him. But, if we are down here near the bottom and he looks bereft of ideas, a la Jewell and Clough, then my support will be a bit more lacking.

That's fair enough.

I would say this is worse than the run that got Clement sacked. At least under Clement we dominated matches and for the most part were defensively solid. We were disjointed, but it wasn't as bad as this.

2 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Thought the Clement sacking was justified as I bought into Mel's vision of 'the Derby way', but this appointment has seemed to throw all that out the window and left me more confused about Clement's sacking. 

I guess Mel bought into the changes and some disruption when appointing Pearson. No doubt he is surprised and disappointed to be at the wrong end of the table. 

9 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Maybe the thinking is now that the players are not good enough for the Derby way, and character is now as important as potential ability. There's nothing to say that once Pearson has the squad right, we won't become a quality team again.

5 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

That's fair enough.

I would say this is worse than the run that got Clement sacked. At least under Clement we dominated matches and for the most part were defensively solid. We were disjointed, but it wasn't as bad as this.

Not sure I agree. There were several games where we didn't get any shots in and lots of passing was sideways and backwards. We had possession, but it was largely pointless. I think people are forgetting just how bad we were at the start of this year. Yesterday, their keeper made a couple of good saves, and in recent games, the opposition defence have defended for their lives.

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

Maybe the thinking is now that the players are not good enough for the Derby way, and character is now as important as potential ability. There's nothing to say that once Pearson has the squad right, we won't become a quality team again.

There is a lot to say, he hasn't improved one part of our team yet. Midfield looks crap, attacking we look crap, defensively we look crap. What is there to say he is going to improve us? We needed rebuilding after the relegation season, but Paul Jewell wasn't the right man for the job despite his past achievements, so what makes you think Pearson is the right man?

4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Not sure I agree. There were several games where we didn't get any shots in and lots of passing was sideways and backwards. We had possession, but it was largely pointless. I think people are forgetting just how bad we were at the start of this year. Yesterday, their keeper made a couple of good saves, and in recent games, the opposition defence have defended for their lives.

Can i borrow those glasses for looking at the missus?

I don't think there's any simple answer to this, we can only go on what we see on the pitch- not what goes on behind the scenes. I certainly don't thou the players have been putting everything in, and the fact that they have failed to achieve expectations recently as well as throwing away leads certainly shows mental fragility in the team so they are not exempt from blame by any stretch.

However the clear fact that they are seemingly being sent out to the pitch without any clear system or tactics has to give some excuse for their performances and imo most of the blame must go on pearsons shoulders. He's been very stubborn in his ways, refusing to admit that the current system isn't working, his tactics are dire and there's no excuse for taking a team with this much quality to this point in the table- hell even Darren wassall did better! It's been an absolutely pathetic reign by Pearson and the sooner MM ends it the better

1 minute ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

There is a lot to say, he hasn't improved one part of our team yet. Midfield looks crap, attacking we look crap, defensively we look crap. What is there to say he is going to improve us? We needed rebuilding after the relegation season, but Paul Jewell wasn't the right man for the job despite his past achievements, so what makes you think Pearson is the right man?

stop asking me questions if you are not going to read my responses! I have said at LEAST 3 times I never thought he was the right man! JEEZ!

4 hours ago, ram1964 said:

Would love to know what the grey inbetween was though wouldnt we.

You strike me as someone who perhaps believes conspiracy theories - or starts them.

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

stop asking me questions if you are not going to read my responses! I have said at LEAST 3 times I never thought he was the right man! JEEZ!

but you want to keep him for some reason and I can't understand why. You want him to sort our 'bad mentality', but it is clearly showing that he can't get us playing at all, why not get a manager in who can 'sort out our mentality' and get us playing as well?

Just now, TheDeadlySaul said:

but you want to keep him for some reason and I can't understand why. You want him to sort our 'bad mentality', but it is clearly showing that he can't get us playing at all, why not get a manager in who can 'sort out our mentality' and get us playing as well?

it's quite simple for me. WHOEVER is in charge either needs to change things or will continue to fail.

YOU and others need to realise this is the case. 

Could we be doing better? YES. Should we be doing better? YES. 

But one thing this run should be telling us is that the players are not the right characters for the ultimate success.

4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Have to disagree with you there.

I think you're romanticising this seasont (if that's possible). Ipswich at home we had, what, 10 minutes of concerted pressure in total, the rest of the time they comfortably held us at bay. Bristol City away, created one chance in the entire half before Anya seized on a passback. Any chances after were mainly down to Bristol City errors. Blackburn at home I can't comment on because I wasn't there.

We weren't great going forward with Clement either (like I said, disjointed), but we possessed a goal threat, whether that be Bryson running forwards to support Martin, Butterfields long shots or Ince and Russell coming in off the wings. I'm not seeing that at the moment. At the moment we are mainly relying on the mistakes of other teams to give us shooting opporrtunities.

Defensively we are nowhere near where we were with Clement. The amount of times we have been torn through right downn the middle this season is frightening. It's a miracle we haven't conceded more, we have looked so open as opposed to the organised, defence and midfield that Clement had.

Archived