Did anyone start supporting Derby because..

robglosta

Did our style lead you to support the club?  

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I reckon that most people start supporting a club at about 7 years old. The majority will support either the top club of the moment or the team that they get taken to watch. For me that was actually both Derby County - I had absolutely no choice in the matter.

On that basis I support Derby County Reserves. 

That Central League in 1972 was a real humdinger.....:lol:

Good grief, I cannot remember that far back but it was probably in the mid 80's I started supporting them so probably not style. I supported them because I came from Burton and the Brewers were in the "Pritt Stick Division 12" or something. 

I would suggest that our times under Arthur Cox, Jim Smith and McClaren did attract more fans but we are not a Man Utd and do not really attract fans with no connection to the area or the club.  AmericanRam aside. 

I could be wrong though. 

My story is a bit odd.... used to hang around with older kids back in the sinfin days.... all were manure followers, kanchelskis giggs sharpe heyday.... i was leaning towards them, but didnt really know anything, parents worked 24-7 and were only interested in that, my auntie took me along to the bbg and stood me in the popside one day, loved it, had to be held all game so could see what was going on lol, week after she took me to that old sports shop that used to be next to maccies? Allsports? Told me to pick what top i want, i looked at manure one and said because all my mates got one, she pointed to an oddly looking auto windscreens top and said how about this, then she gave me the "your hometown talk" i reluctantly nodded my head, but that was it, those 2 mins in allsports and my footballing life defined, never used to take that top off, ram ever since, thank you auntie :p

I don't think any Derby fan would start supporting us because of the style. Styles come & go all the time with new managers, new players. We didn't play the same now as we did with Clough. Even more different than we did with McClaren.

Anyone who chose us for our style is either an extremely new supporter or just enjoys **** football. If you look for a certain style in a football team then you're more of a fan of football in general than a club. Now some may argue that Barcelona play better football than Derby but I'd choose to watch Derby over Barcelona every single time.

New fan at nearly 40 years of age. Combination of geographic (from Yorkshire but been in Derbyshire well over 10 years) , having a kid born and brought up in the area and also just had it altogether with the amateur phoenix nightsesque run set up that is English football's lower leagues and their clubs to which I've dedicated nearly 30 years of my life.

As Mick Jackson said, "time to make a change.....for the rest of my life....".:thumbsup:

Just now, Tony Le Mesmer said:

New fan at nearly 40 years of age. Combination of geographic (from Yorkshire but been in Derbyshire well over 10 years) , having a kid born and brought up in the area and also just had it altogether with the amateur phoenix nightsesque run set up that is English football's lower leagues and their clubs to which I've dedicated nearly 30 years of my life.

As Mick Jackson said, "time to make a change.....for the rest of my life....".:thumbsup:

Sunshine in doors? pasty and pea supper?

Archived