Question hand on heart which managers did you advocate

Curtains

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always said that 'if' Clough ever left (I didn't want Clough to be sacked) I would want McClaren to replace him and people round my way thought I was mad.  By the end I was glad he went though.  

Clement seemed like a good idea and I think we would be in a better position now if we had kept him.  

Appointing Wassall was, and probably always will be, the biggest mistake of the Mel Morris era, and that includes spending #10m on Johnson and Butterfield.  

I genuinely thought that Pearson was exactly what our squad needed...

Similar...although I didn't want Steve Mc based on past performances, but by the end I thought we should have kept him and gone again.

Thought PC should have been given the season, pretty much regardless. 

Totally opposed Wassall, no experience. If Pearson could have been appointed then, I think we'd be further on with the way he wants to overhaul - if not then Harry should have been given charge till the end of season to have a go for Promotion, with Pearson told he had the job...in the end was a total fudge at end of last season,  no wonder we are starting slowly.

Anyone seriously saying they'd be happy if we sacked Pearson now,  is bonkers for me....just spiralling out of control, got to have strength of conviction that we've got the right man and give him the season free from speculation and unrest.

1 minute ago, cosmic said:

He still might be!!! I somehow don't think he's quite finished the job he set out to do just yet (with it being only 6 games in, and all).

Agree needs time 

But hope he proves me wrong - as I always have a suspicion on big blokes  who talk the game, look and talk really strategic - all cool and calm - but underneath clueless.....

next thing someone in the crowd will jump out at him - and he will thump them!!!

I was pro Maclaren till he cheated on us.

I was pro Clement till I realised we were just going to pass it round in triangles in our own half,but I'm neutral on the timing of his departure.

I understood Wassell's appointment but thought we should have had a short term experienced manager.

I think Pearson should get time but don't think he will.(what do I know).

16 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

In the end was a total fudge at end of last season,  no wonder we are starting slowly.

So this boring hoofball is down to last season? Bizarre.

Did NP not have all of pre season to do something about it?

I didn't buy into all of the reasons being given for appointing NP but he has my backing and I hope Mel does not get trigger happy.

I was with clough till about 3 years into his reign, Imo he should have been sacked far earlier as we never looked like threatening promotion. I was fully behind mcclaren until the Newcastle thing arrived and the great bottling, he was sacked at the right time for me. Clement seemed like a risky but good choice, think he was sacked too early but the form was dreadful, I don't think he was experienced enough. Wassall was a ludicrous move from the start, the most tactically inept manager I've ever seen, glad it was temporary. Pearson seemed to be exactly the right man from the job, but events so far are beginning to change my mind...

I was hugely excited when clough came, I thought it was a perfect fit. Which it was really we just didn't get to that next level on the pitch. No regrets there.

I was positive about Schteeve and felt like I was the only one at the time. I miss that big ***** and his beautiful football. Although he obviously had his head turned and lost focus which was bloody annoying.

I thought Clement was inspired and i was dreaming of la liga loans. No idea why he was sacked really. Must have been something else going on.

I was gutted at the appointment of wassall and felt it was just giving up on the season. Surprised he did as well as he did.

Pearson was a 'meh'. Still is really. I absolutely do NOT want him sacking though! 

21 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I was with clough till about 3 years into his reign, Imo he should have been sacked far earlier as we never looked like threatening promotion. I was fully behind mcclaren until the Newcastle thing arrived and the great bottling, he was sacked at the right time for me. Clement seemed like a risky but good choice, think he was sacked too early but the form was dreadful, I don't think he was experienced enough. Wassall was a ludicrous move from the start, the most tactically inept manager I've ever seen, glad it was temporary. Pearson seemed to be exactly the right man from the job, but events so far are beginning to change my mind...

With the exception of Wassall(personally think that's harsh, he did lift the mood and performances some games), you've totally summed up my feelings on Mac, Clement and Pearson albeit I hope his tinkering at the end of the window starts to see a team structure that performs in the manner he wants. Clough, did think he was a perfect fit when he came and for a good time but yeah he wasn't going to get us up in my opinion and you have to draw the line sometime, just not after a defeat to Forest into the start of the season!

I'm not sure I'm going to like the style of play we seem to be heading for but I'll continue to support Pearson as he changes things around, just hoping he doesn't set us back again. 

Was all for Nigel. 

Against McClaren until I saw him unleash the shackles. 

Then got a bit irritated by too much "Clough could have done that". McClaren did it. I could have been an astronaut. 

Never wanted Mac sacked.

Didn't really take to Clement

Took to Clement eventually. Then he got sacked and I thought it was very harsh. If you're hiring a rookie then mistakes and learning should be obvious. Understood it when Mel explained but can't say I 100% agreed

Was cool with Wassall. Hull at home I wanted him sacked tbh. Then the away game made me think about how rookies work again. Didn't mind either way.

Never wanted Pearson or Dyche. Rodgers was my fantasy choice. Wassall or Rowett my realistic choice. Wagner my gamble choice. 

Never liked Pearson but want him to get plenty of time to prove me wrong rather than no time and let me say "told ya". Don't think he's doing a good job but now you've handed him the keys you have to let him drive. No good keep changing direction

1 hour ago, coneheadjohn said:

I was pro Maclaren till he cheated on us.

McClaren was sacked by Derby.

“I reiterate what I said on Saturday straight after the game, and what I’ve said to the board and the players yesterday – I’m 100% committed to finishing the job here. I hear the speculation, I see it, but I’m 100% committed to Derby County at this point. I’ve been saying it for months, that my total focus, my total commitment, is on Derby County.” Steve McClaren - May 2015

People are going to get sick to the back teeth of me quoting that, but I don't care. I freely admit to being a pedantic ****. If you want to criticise McClaren for our appalling form during the run in and his failure to cover key positions with his loans, go right ahead. If you want to lie about the nature of his departure be prepared to get corrected.

Nigel C - Excited through to Neutral by the end

Smacca - Neutral through to gutted when he left (and even more gutted now) BUT kind understood the decision

Clement - Neutral through to bored of his football to glad he was given the boot

Wassall - Apprehensive through to "did a solid job in difficult circumstances"

I would have liked to see us appoint an 'old head' as manager this season... Someone with 1-2 seasons in them who could have had Wassall as his number 2 and given the guy chance to learn next to him before taking over...

And Martin O'Neill... I just really wanted him...

Archived