Question hand on heart which managers did you advocate

Curtains

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

I was with clough till about 3 years into his reign, Imo he should have been sacked far earlier as we never looked like threatening promotion. I was fully behind mcclaren until the Newcastle thing arrived and the great bottling, he was sacked at the right time for me. Clement seemed like a risky but good choice, think he was sacked too early but the form was dreadful, I don't think he was experienced enough. Wassall was a ludicrous move from the start, the most tactically inept manager I've ever seen, glad it was temporary. Pearson seemed to be exactly the right man from the job, but events so far are beginning to change my mind...

Exactly this. Then there's Brian Clough and Jim Smith. :wub:

Always thought Clough was a decent man who could spot good footballers but couldn't make them play together consistently. Liked Steve but it was time to go for oft discussed reasons. I was very pro PC .. Thought we might strike gold, instead it was too scientific for the championship. Wassall .. Logical stand in while we tried to find the right man without rushing. Wanted Warburton or Rowett as their teams seemed to play attractive football but more than happy with Pearsons appointment and am sure it will be a good one providing we don't all demand our Christmas presents by the first of October. 

Tim Ward .      Liked him and he gave us Durban and Hector  but was too young to advocate him .

Brian Clough  

Loved him really although he was controversial and gave me great days  watching Derby and Sam Longson appointing him was a master stroke at the time  .

Dave Mackay   Loved the guy and he gave us Charlie George ,Franny and Bruce  .

Tommy Docherty .    Wasn't brilliant .

A  Cox      Great manager but was a disciplinarian who gave us great success.

Peter Taylor   . Did ok for a while on his own at Derby but was brilliant with Brian Clough  . 

Addison      .   Did well with Anderson for a while  

Roy Mac   .    Did a good job and got us to Wembley  but we missed out to the Foxes  

Jim Smith .    Fantastic manager who brought great days to Derby and Eranio ,Stimac, Biano ,Wanchope ,Asanovic etc etc 

Phil Brown      Did ok 

Billy Davies . Got us promoted  and did well really for a while .

Paul Jewell .    Had all the  credentials to  take over but quit  after a  difficult time . Took us to League Cup Semi Final though.

Nigel Clough    . I didn't advocate his appointment but he did well for a few years under the circumstances.  It was time for a change after 5 years IMO 

McClaren      .   Thought he was a good appointment but loads didn't .   He  did well and nearly got us promoted   . I lost faith in him   .

Clement      Liked the guy and I never wanted him sacked but he did lose his way a bit after going top at Xmas and would have given him more time   .

Wassall .       He did  what was expected of him.

Nigel Pearson .      Didn't advocate  him as I wanted Rowett .

I really want Pearson to succeed at Derby  and I think he will in the end  

Only based on recent years otherwise there will be pages on this question.

Pro Clough [only because of his dad] young Nige had a job to do, get players off the books and reduce the wage bill, he succeeded in that respect.

I was over the moon with Mac coming in, his coaching skills are known throughout football - sorry to see him go. I would have loved to see him with the money others have had since, played some of the best attacking football for years under him. I possible think that team of players peaked and the rest is history regarding Mac's demise.

Clement I backed, bought into the hype - but inexperienced coach at this level and it possibly came through at the end, even when we were top at Christmas we looked like it was only temporary, something always missing.

Wassall , not fussed again only a stop gap some great performances and some truly awful ones. Glad he is back with the kids, doing want he knows best.

Wanted NP, thought it might be only tweaks to get rid of the losing mentality, probably needs a full season to inject new blood into the side, he is now getting rid of the old style of slow pass, pass, slow, pass, pass to more release the ball and move it quicker with pace hence Vyrda, Anya and Wilson.

He will get it right, I have faith in NP. :thumbsup:

Clough - backed him, love the job he did. he'd reached his summit however

McLaren - instant success, hard not to back and love him. football was great for a time, carried on backing him right till the end, unlucky not to take us up

Clement - really bought into that appointment, pre season excitement, results great from preston away onwards. Preston 0-0 at home was a low for me, lost faith in him that night, just awful. Wasnt sad to see him go.

Wassall - don't think he put a foot wrong bar the last 10 mins at Rotherham, wont hear me say a bad word about him. And if for some reason he happened to get another crack i wouldn't begrudge it. players bottled Hull (H) not Wassall

Pearson - pre season excitement has gone, most worrying thing for me is it doesnt feel like clements opening month, thought there was method in that. this feels more like Clements decline already. hopefully he can turn it round. Still backing him but needs to turn it around sharpish

I've always backed our managers, even Paul Jewell, to begin with.  

Clough had my support up until the first game of the season he left, against Blackburn.

Schteve had my support up to the January before he left, when he started making doe eyes in the direction of the North East and couldn't figure out a way of playing without Martin & Thorne.

PC had my support up to the 0-0 against Preston.  The negativity got too much.

Wassall had my support up to the point he named a 4-4-2 with Johnson on the wing against MK Dons.

Big Nige has my support until I can't see a way things will improve.

Wanted NP from start .In my option the team need a firm hand it appeared the players had to much power not enough effort when required .A clean sweep through out the team needed a tough leader someone to make tough desitions ...that's what we have got a man who does not Shy away from upsetting players for the greater good .if players get mardy they have CP to put a arm around the shoulder it's a classic good cop bad cop , A system of football management that has ,is working in so many other teams.NP and CP just need time to get their style and ideas across.

12 minutes ago, DerbyRevolution said:

Clough - backed him, love the job he did. he'd reached his summit however

McLaren - instant success, hard not to back and love him. football was great for a time, carried on backing him right till the end, unlucky not to take us up

Clement - really bought into that appointment, pre season excitement, results great from preston away onwards. Preston 0-0 at home was a low for me, lost faith in him that night, just awful. Wasnt sad to see him go.

Wassall - don't think he put a foot wrong bar the last 10 mins at Rotherham, wont hear me say a bad word about him. And if for some reason he happened to get another crack i wouldn't begrudge it. players bottled Hull (H) not Wassall

Pearson - pre season excitement has gone, most worrying thing for me is it doesnt feel like clements opening month, thought there was method in that. this feels more like Clements decline already. hopefully he can turn it round. Still backing him but needs to turn it around sharpish

Nobody bottled Hull. We went direct. We hoofed it to Martin and to Johnson who was playing behind him. We had no intention in playing football and so nobody had a clue what they were doing.

I would blame Wassall for this but for a Redknapp interview with Talksport just before the play-offs in which he stated that he suggested we started becoming more direct.

Agreed on tactics but part of the gameplan wasnt to put in half arsed tackle after half arsed tackle. Hull had the run of our half at times. Johnson, Shackell just a couple of offenders that spring to mind. 

Having said that i think our side at the minute is crying out for Johnson to come in and boss the midfield.

34 minutes ago, curtains said:

Tim Ward .      Liked him and he gave us Durban and Hector  but was too young to advocate him .

Brian Clough  

Loved him really although he was controversial and gave me great days  watching Derby and Sam Longson appointing him was a master stroke at the time  .

Dave Mackay   Loved the guy and he gave us Charlie George ,Franny and Bruce  .

Tommy Docherty .    Wasn't brilliant .

A  Cox      Great manager but was a disciplinarian who gave us great success.

Peter Taylor   . Did ok for a while on his own at Derby but was brilliant with Brian Clough  . 

Addison      .   Did well with Anderson for a while  

Roy Mac   .    Did a good job and got us to Wembley  but we missed out to the Foxes  

Jim Smith .    Fantastic manager who brought great days to Derby and Eranio ,Stimac, Biano ,Wanchope ,Asanovic etc etc 

Phil Brown      Did ok 

Billy Davies . Got us promoted  and did well really for a while .

Paul Jewell .    Had all the  credentials to  take over but quit  after a  difficult time . Took us to League Cup Semi Final though.

Nigel Clough    . I didn't advocate his appointment but he did well for a few years under the circumstances.  It was time for a change after 5 years IMO 

McClaren      .   Thought he was a good appointment but loads didn't .   He  did well and nearly got us promoted   . I lost faith in him   .

Clement      Liked the guy and I never wanted him sacked but he did lose his way a bit after going top at Xmas and would have given him more time   .

Wassall .       He did  what was expected of him.

Nigel Pearson .      Didn't advocate  him as I wanted Rowett .

I really want Pearson to succeed at Derby  and I think he will in the end  

Bugger, you beat me to it!!!!

Clough - Meh. He did a good job under the circumstances but I haven't had another spell where I've enjoyed football less. Pro McClaren. Pro-Clement for a time, but I didn't really enjoy the style of play he came in with so my favour for him fell away when the style became so apparent. Wassall neutral, simply because we were never really going to hire a new manager at that point and I don't like the idea of lambasting caretaker managers. As of right now, pro-Pearson. I haven't been impressed by anything on the pitch yet but he hasn't been here long and frankly I find it astounding that there are people calling to replace him. Changing the manager every 6 months is exactly what we mock other clubs for, saying their owners are "ruining the club". As of right now I think Pearsons going to do well and I'm patient enough to give him a couple of seasons. 

I should add that when Pearsons name was just mentioned months in advance I was against it, because all I really knew of Pearson was all the media garbage. But I've been really impressed with him off the pitch and I'm also one of the group who thought "about time" when we got rid of a couple of our pieces of furniture. 

In recent times 

Brown, just didn't like him at all

Jewell, I thought he always tried to do the right thing but everything went wrong for him and us

Davies, got an average team to the prem, but I hated his self deserving passion

clough, did a very good job under the circumstances but it was worth moving on

mc claren, loved the football saw what was needed such a shame he had his head turned

clement, brave appointment but it got so boring so I was glad when he left

pearson, nothing against him as a person but we have seen nothing but rubbish so far and how many managers would last anywhere having a team who he motivates who have only scored one league goal and two cup goals ( against league two teams as well) in eight games.

Of the managers available at the time, Pearson was my choice. Judging by some of the comments being made on here you would think that the performances so far are typical of what we can expect long-term but I don't believe for one moment that he's happy with what he's seen but realises things will not dramatically improve with one transfer window.

There's even been suggestions that he might not be given much more time. Heaven forbid, if that proved to be correct then my trust in MMs' judgement would have definitely gone down the pan.

I think Pearson will get time and will turn the club around, though probably not soon enough for some fans.

2 hours ago, Anon said:

McClaren was sacked by Derby.

“I reiterate what I said on Saturday straight after the game, and what I’ve said to the board and the players yesterday – I’m 100% committed to finishing the job here. I hear the speculation, I see it, but I’m 100% committed to Derby County at this point. I’ve been saying it for months, that my total focus, my total commitment, is on Derby County.” Steve McClaren - May 2015

People are going to get sick to the back teeth of me quoting that, but I don't care. I freely admit to being a pedantic ****. If you want to criticise McClaren for our appalling form during the run in and his failure to cover key positions with his loans, go right ahead. If you want to lie about the nature of his departure be prepared to get corrected.

I was under the impression that he was seeking a move to Newcastle whilst he was our manager.

If that was not the case I'm more than happy to be corrected.

Clough - for. Did an astounding job to reduce the horrendous wage bill to somewhere manageable and not get relegated. Just couldn't seem to take the team that little bit further. 

Mclarren - Hessitant, but hopeful. Initially very good, but no realistic plan b was his downfall and also the problems with New Castle. Even if his head didn't get turned the perception was it had and that caused some problems. Mix that with a side starting to leak goals for fun and it was an unhappy ending. The football at times though was fantastic and that's what I pay to see  

Clement - All for. The national press thought we'd played a blinder as well. He was being touted nation all the year before as a massive up and coming. We rightly took that chance and it had the chance to become a legondary appointment. From all I've heard from inside the club Clement was determined not to do it the way he'd initially agreed and Mel wasn't happy with it. His choice to sign certain players for much more money than they were worth and that actually didn't fit into their preferred positions has caused longer term problems.  The football was the most boring I'd seen in years so wasn't unhappy to see him go. 

Wassall - Unhappy. Stop gap, and the players held all the power. The football was average at times and at others just plain awful. I must admit I was surprised at just how well he did. Glad he stayed working in the club. 

The biggest error was appointing a stop gap and then deciding on a rebuild at this time. It should have happened earlier. 

Pearson - All for. He was my first choice from the start. Still is. A lot of people seem to not get what is going on. He took the measured decision to evaluate all the players before making any more signings. This was a balanced and need approach after spending close to £20 million the year before. Once working with them and seeing their ability to play football in the style he wants he has made moves. Giving him time and backing now is the most important thing Derby can do. There are signs of improvement. I know that those still unable to play his way and unwilling to work will be gone sooner or later and he will get the team he wants. This summer transfer window has done a lot of work to getting us in a position to be big players in January and next summer. 

32 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Of the managers available at the time, Pearson was my choice. Judging by some of the comments being made on here you would think that the performances so far are typical of what we can expect long-term but I don't believe for one moment that he's happy with what he's seen but realises things will not dramatically improve with one transfer window.

There's even been suggestions that he might not be given much more time. Heaven forbid, if that proved to be correct then my trust in MMs' judgement would have definitely gone down the pan.

I think Pearson will get time and will turn the club around, though probably not soon enough for some fans.

If Pearson gets sacked without something drastic happening (like him punching a player's wife in the face level of drastic) without getting a chance to spend some time on this squad I will simply stop caring. Because that will be the moment the club has become one of those revolving door clubs that just sack and spend until they get relegated. 

8 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

I was under the impression that he was seeking a move to Newcastle whilst he was our manager.

If that was not the case I'm more than happy to be corrected.

I am being unfair in that there's good reasons to assume that may have been the case, but assumptions is all we're basing it on. Our actions at board level make no sense if McClaren was being tapped up by Newcastle. Surely we would've either reported the pair of them to the FA, or forced Newcastle to pay us compensation and avoid paying up McClaren's contract.

14 minutes ago, England Ram said:

Pearson - All for. He was my first choice from the start. Still is. A lot of people seem to not get what is going on. He took the measured decision to evaluate all the players before making any more signings. This was a balanced and need approach after spending close to £20 million the year before. Once working with them and seeing their ability to play football in the style he wants he has made moves. Giving him time and backing now is the most important thing Derby can do. There are signs of improvement. I know that those still unable to play his way and unwilling to work will be gone sooner or later and he will get the team he wants. This summer transfer window has done a lot of work to getting us in a position to be big players in January and next summer. 

I think everybody knows exactly what's going on and that's what people's problem is…

Archived