Why do we do it?

archram

This morning,my partner,not a football fan, asked me if it was really worth it. Worth what? Leaving the house before noon, driving to the station, a 3 hr train journey, walk to the stadium,spend £30 on a sweatshirt because it was colder than I thought, watch a not very inspiring football match ( though I did feel there were some positives), back to the station, journey home, drive along dark winding roads and get home at 11.30, knowing that at 75 , I find this quite tiring and need a couple of days recovery time. My answer? Of course it is! However bad the game, it's always worth it!

But I don't know why! I know why I support Derby County, because my dad lived in Derbyshire until he was 8, so that's obvious! But why I'm prepared to spend that much time and money for 90 minutes of football, is beyond me! And , in this instance, I could have stayed at home and watched it on TVs!

I'm a reasonable sort of woman, had a fairly responsible job in which I made rational decisions although I am generally a glass half full personality, but this defeats me!

Any of you similarly afflicted have any idea why?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I left my house near Newquay about 8am, crawled through roadworks almost the entire way plus a huge hold up on M5 meaning it took me 7 hours until I was parked up at Derby instead of the usual 4 and half. I watched the football and then back in the car, by the time I got into Cornwall the A30 night closure for roadworks was in place meaning a big diversion around obscure Cornish villages. I got home about 2am. I've got cracking headache today because I spent almost 13 hours in the car yesterday. My wife asked if its worth it... No, it wasn't but next week might be. 

27 minutes ago, archram said:

This morning,my partner,not a football fan, asked me if it was really worth it. Worth what? Leaving the house before noon, driving to the station, a 3 hr train journey, walk to the stadium,spend £30 on a sweatshirt because it was colder than I thought, watch a not very inspiring football match ( though I did feel there were some positives), back to the station, journey home, drive along dark winding roads and get home at 11.30, knowing that at 75 , I find this quite tiring and need a couple of days recovery time. My answer? Of course it is! However bad the game, it's always worth it!

But I don't know why! I know why I support Derby County, because my dad lived in Derbyshire until he was 8, so that's obvious! But why I'm prepared to spend that much time and money for 90 minutes of football, is beyond me! And , in this instance, I could have stayed at home and watched it on TVs!

I'm a reasonable sort of woman, had a fairly responsible job in which I made rational decisions although I am generally a glass half full personality, but this defeats me!

We all go for different reasons, i love watching football to start with, have supported derby all my life, but i also go with my dad and regardless of the result its time i have got to spend with him so its well worthwhile.

8 minutes ago, KernowRam said:

I left my house near Newquay about 8am, crawled through roadworks almost the entire way plus a huge hold up on M5 meaning it took me 7 hours until I was parked up at Derby instead of the usual 4 and half. I watched the football and then back in the car, by the time I got into Cornwall the A30 night closure for roadworks was in place meaning a big diversion around obscure Cornish villages. I got home about 2am. I've got cracking headache today because I spent almost 13 hours in the car yesterday. My wife asked if its worth it... No, it wasn't but next week might be. 

Where in Newquay? I grew up in St Austell. As a youngster used to frequent Tall Trees nightclub. Those were the days......

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Where in Newquay? I grew up in St Austell. As a youngster used to frequent Tall Trees nightclub. Those were the days......

I live just outside Newquay, St Eval. It's an ex RAF base.

Tall Tree's has gone, it's been closed down for a few years now I think. It had quite a bad reputation at the end I believe.

It's a pity you don't still live down here, I could do with someone to share the travelling with!

It's a form of morbid obsession, an OCD, which gets ingrained as you get older!

No known treatment is available, barring financial restrictions or failing mobility.

I'm 10 years younger than you, and travel from Brum (have lived away from Derby since the mid-70s, when we wuz Champions!) - so whilst every game is an expedition rather than a turn-key trot across Derby, it's a bit easier for me to feed the obsession....but no more explicable, really :ermm:

As a youngster, you're excited, joining the big roaring crowds and idolising football stars that everyone talks about and elders pass on their wisdom. The teeming atmosphere of the BBG (not so much @ the iPro) then seduces you and you join the chanting baying masses, until you want to chill a bit and watch the game more than competing with the opposing fans.

Now we have the media and corporate intervention, financial dominance of the game, 2nd-tier teams like us scrabbling up the cliff (and slipping back, more often than not) to attain the heights and 'dine at the top table'.

Watching the current shower of ---t that is currently waddling haphazardly around the pitch in the name of DCFC, archram's original question still means much more than my attempted explanation :blink:

39 minutes ago, KernowRam said:

I only journey from north Cheshire, near Chester.  My new life long desire and passion is to see us score a goal again.  I am hoping it may be this season but I am starting to doubt it?  You never know, miracles sometimes happen, but for it to be Nick Blackman to score is stretching the credibility, hope and desire to the utmost limit.

30 minutes ago, KernowRam said:

I live just outside Newquay, St Eval. It's an ex RAF base.

Tall Tree's has gone, it's been closed down for a few years now I think. It had quite a bad reputation at the end I believe.

It's a pity you don't still live down here, I could do with someone to share the travelling with!

Yes I think Tall Trees is a church now? I admire your commitment. I used to travel to a lot of games home and away as a student in London but only get to around 8 games a season now living in Shropshire.

We will get a 'scruffy' goal against Ipswich from some innocuous attack or opponent error.

It will be against the run of play and Mick McCarthy will get sent to the stand for swearing profusely at his defenders.

There will be a 5-second delay before the crowd responds - like a satellite delay - due to the sheer shock and surprise that the long-suffering home faithful have experienced, before they break out into ironic applause and semi-cheerings of disbelief. 

:ph34r:

8 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Why because my Dad, grandad and great grandad did.

It's in yer DNA youth ;)

Precisely why I am afflicted. My Grandad started taking me to the BBG when I was 7 years old (now 31 with a family of my own) to sit in the Normanton end. My first opportunity to go was when the elderly fella who sat next to my Grandad took ill and he gave my Grandad his season ticket for the rest of the season, so he could take me. He had never met me, and only knew my Grandad because they happened to sit next to each other. Sadly, the gentleman was never well enough to attend the matches again and my Grandad and I went to his funeral some years ago - I never did get the opportunity to thank him in person.

My first real clear memories are of the promotion season under Smith, and I can remember the emotional day of the last match at the BBG against Arsenal like it was yesterday. Shortly after moving to Pride Park my Grandad became too ill to go, and my Dad took over his season ticket to take me. Now me and my old man are in the pub for 11 on a match day to chew the fat and look forward to the match. Invariably when we play as bad as we have been we sulk all the way home and barely talk until next match day when we rinse and repeat. When I call my Grandad who is just about still with us for a moan, his response is always 'youth, at least you didn't have to go and watch us get beat at Torquay in the old forth division.'

I've somehow married into a family of red dogs, but I can tell that my little one and little one to be will share my lifelong affliction. No matter how bad it gets Why? Cos it's Derby, and it's football int'it!

2 hours ago, archram said:

hi oldtimeram love your post and reflects the plight of a true supporter i like you am in my seventies and have supported derby over more years than i care to remember i now live in yorkshire and like you travel every home game and most away games its people like you that make me proud to be a true derby supporter what a refreshing post after listening to all the usual clever ***** who post such drivel on this forum

Because I was born here, Because my dad took me when I was young, as did his dad before him- it's in my blood, and since I'm hooked now I may as well keep watching, you never know we might see that mythical thing called a goal again soon.

in all seriousness I think we keep going because we know that these 'bad times' will come to an end eventually, and we will have success like we did under Jim smith again- I certainly hope so anyway, the first manager I witnessed was Billy Davies!

2 hours ago, archram said:

I salute you, simple Dad ,Grandad  both Derby fans indoctrinated me at the age of five ,58 years later still going .Madness.

First post on here. Been a season ticket holder for many years. For the last 30 years, I have driven 350 plus miles to see a match, spending £50 on petrol and 5-6 hours behind the wheel. Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed it because win or lose, I enjoyed it. But now? I have decided not to travel to a game until things get sorted out. I have reached the methaphorical end of the road.  I will watch on the tv and listen to the RD commentaries, but that's as far as it goes. What has happened to the team in the last year has been abysmal. We may now need change but we need also to manage change. This has not been apparent. I am not saying the new manager is not the right man for the job, but I am far from convinced at this stage. He has a fair record, though I think his involvement in the  Leicester success has been overplayed. Rather than make the best of what he has got, he strikes me as a manager who will tinker and tamper with the team until he gets what he wants. That may well prove to be successful in the long term, but my question is whether it will then be a team that I wish to watch.  

Archived