FFP

North_Stand_Ram

Today, in my opinion, proves that we are very close to the FFP boundaries. We had a go last summer, it didn't work, and we now have to slow it down. 

Being in profit this window is refreshing, but also odd. Morris' comments in the summer stating he would "back" Pearson if needed... He has provided funds, but had to sell two figureheads in the process...

Thoughts?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, North_Stand_Ram said:

Today, in my opinion, proves that we are very close to the FFP boundaries. We had a go last summer, it didn't work, and we now have to slow it down. 

Being in profit this window is refreshing, but also odd. Morris' comments in the summer stating he would "back" Pearson if needed... He has provided funds, but had to sell two figureheads in the process...

Thoughts?

Did he have to sell? Or did Pearson decide they were not required?

Couldn't turn down the Hendrick deal, it's twice what most would have felt was a good deal.

Martin, is surplus to requirements it seems.

We've scored one league goal so far. Signing Vydra suggests that Pearson thinks we need something different up front. Personally, I think we need to be putting (much) better service in to who ever is up front.

Its a shame we wasted so much last season.

I disagree with this for a few reasons.

We bought Vydra before selling anybody. If we were worried about FFP then surely the sensible thing to do is sell and then buy. At least you have the money guaranteed and know what you have to work with.

We rejected multiple bids for Hendrick. We even rejected bids that were a fair price for him. Burnley paid in excess of £10mil because they were desperate to buy him, buy anyone. We didn't sell because we were desperate to.

We spent £3.5mil on Anya, a player who can be useful to us but certainly not a necessity that we couldn't go without. Players who have played wide in the past for us include Ince, Johnson, Blackman, Camara, Russell and Weimann. If we were close to FFP we wouldn't buy improvements we would buy only the essential additions.

These deals help the FFP situation enormously. As both Martin and Hendrick were 'free', there is only a small amount of amortisation to settle, just the fees associated with their contracts. If we got £10.5m for Hendrick and £3m loan fee for Martin, our FFP is likely to be something in the region of £12m better off.

If we've really paid £12m for Vydra and Anya, only a quarter of that counts this season, so FFP only takes a £3m hit. Net, we appear to be something like £9m better of on FFP after today, and maybe £15m if Fulham pay the extra £6m for Martin in January.

We may have been sailing close to the wind, but IMO we're now completely out of any danger, and seem to have some room for manoeuvre in January.

I was oonvinced we were close the first time I went to the bar in McFarland's before the Brighton game, 2 pints and a pint of coke £13:50, no more £2:50 refillable cokes for the kid anymore, and that's after £3 entry cost!

4 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

These deals help the FFP situation enormously. As both Martin and Hendrick were 'free', there is only a small amount of amortisation to settle, just the fees associated with their contracts. If we got £10.5m for Hendrick and £3m loan fee for Martin, our FFP is likely to be something in the region of £12m better off.

If we've really paid £12m for Vydra and Anya, only a quarter of that counts this season, so FFP only takes a £3m hit. Net, we appear to be something like £9m better of on FFP after today, and maybe £15m if Fulham pay the extra £6m for Martin in January.

We may have been sailing close to the wind, but IMO we're now completely out of any danger, and seem to have some room for manoeuvre in January.

I totally agree, I've said on here a number of times after last seasons spending FFP will be a major issue when the accounts for last season are eventually published. Regardless of what Mel said we took a gamble last season & we failed. I'm quite sure Pearson was made well aware of this when he took the job, although I feel sure he initially thought I can do something with the quality we have in this squad. He's soon learnt otherwise it now seems. 

The money we've got from Hendrick & Martin will most probably mean we will escape FFP punishment thankfully. I do wish the powers that be could have been more honest about the pending situation though, as a blind man could see we were heading for problems in this regard.

1 hour ago, TETRA said:

I totally agree, I've said on here a number of times after last seasons spending FFP will be a major issue when the accounts for last season are eventually published. Regardless of what Mel said we took a gamble last season & we failed. I'm quite sure Pearson was made well aware of this when he took the job, although I feel sure he initially thought I can do something with the quality we have in this squad. He's soon learnt otherwise it now seems. 

The money we've got from Hendrick & Martin will most probably mean we will escape FFP punishment thankfully. I do wish the powers that be could have been more honest about the pending situation though, as a blind man could see we were heading for problems in this regard.

I hope they never are 'honest' with the situation.  The sort of info that should be kept top secret.  Of course they could tell us if we promise not to tell anybody else!

Our new recruitment team have from now until January to scour the European second divisions mining for gems... 

Rush has from now until January to decide with Pearson players he believes are surplus to requirements and begin attempting to move them on in an effort to reduce squad size. 

I do have the feeling that FFP was a major factor but overall no one wanted our failed purchases from last season did they? They only wanted two of our produced and improved players in hendrick and Martin 

we purchased a lot of very highly paid players lately on very long contracts and few of them are looking at being great investments currently,.

Moving out to get in doesn't mea. We are any closer to FFP than any other club.

how many clubs can swallow £13m of expenditure without recouping, let alone £37m of recent transfer windows.

at the end of the day we have lost two first team players, Hendrick at best is  inconsistent and Martin has hardly had a storming performance since half way into last season.

can you please read the enclosed article to realise we are nowhere near ffp we can lose £39m over three seasons fundamentally on the football side of the business .This excludes basically everything we spend on the academy and community. Lets say our income is £22m probably not far off. lets say each ,member of the first team earns £1m a year (which I would find hard to believe) that's £25m. big transfers last season, butterfield £4.5m Johnson £6m Ince £5.5 m weimann £3m say £19m amortised over 4 seasons  £5m per year say other costs associated with the club are £2m because you exclude depreciation that's £10m loss to 2016. That's assuming our income didn't go up in the period which I would find hard to believe as every time somebody breaks wind in the stand that's sponsored now. We can lose £39m over three seasons, our income from sky has gone up this season and we have reduced our wage bill by getting rid of more players than have come in.

we have just made a clear profit of £10.5m less what we had to settle with hendrick to go say £8m we have just made a £2.5m loan fee on Martin, so we start 2016/17 probably net £8m up, amortise vydra over 4 years anya over 4 years. there a chance we may actually only lose £5m this year. that's nowhere near £39m over three years.

May be a bit naïve and who knows if the figures are miles away but I don't think they are. The losses only fundamentally relate to running the first team the way FFP is set up.

The other thing was the timing of the takeover. Mel ain't nobody's fool and there will have been an element of conversion of loans to capital during the takeover which I believe didn't happen until July 2015.

Just my thoughts.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9552172/the-championship-clubs-are-set-to-change-their-ffp-rules

21 hours ago, Rich84 said:

I was oonvinced we were close the first time I went to the bar in McFarland's before the Brighton game, 2 pints and a pint of coke £13:50, no more £2:50 refillable cokes for the kid anymore, and that's after £3 entry cost!

Thats extortionate ,theirs making a profit and having your pants pulled down,

Archived