From Wembley to Burton:How did it all go wrong. Volume 1

sage

4 minutes ago, Gritters said:

So many ifs and buts. That season went down hill before it started when Thorne got injured. By the end of the season we had bottled it. Huddersfield away I went for a piss and missed 3 goals.

I hate hate hate that word.

Surely if we had 'bottled it' we wouldn't have produced the fight backs we did against Millwall and Huddersfield? We'd have just rolled over.

Imo it all went wrong when Zamora scored and the players realised they weren't invincible. 

Always crumbled under pressure since then. 

7 minutes ago, cannable said:

Yeah but Macarell was still fit and we were still top when we decided to play Thorne against Charlton, his second game in four days.

Charlton was match 33, Birmingham was match 36.

Right you are. I forgot he came back twice during the run in.

Much needed post @sage

Too easily people are saying "433 didn't work" and "players are bottlers" but so much more went on this season. 

Omar was alright but he was a total hot head. So eager to press and chase (which is what gets fans cheering because they're stupid) that he too often left us exposed. And like you say, Cyrus is crazy. He's either a really crap good player or a really good crap player. He's so up and down that I can't decide if I rate him or hate him.

That goal v Forest was disgusting. More so than the first Brum goal.

A Grant goal kick. Hoofed long to Bent. And as soon as the ball flies over the halfway line 6 players are gone. Can't remember who won the header for Forest but it put 6 players out the game. Then Omar committed suicide. 1 header from their own half put Forest on through on goal. 

I loved how many players Mac used to get beyond the ball. But this was just poor decision making. But there's been little to no danger of it happening since... Or scoring much.

Many asked for a Plan B. But the problem is one we're seeing now. We've got so many options but very little depth to cover any specific system. 

McClaren was very unlucky to lose all 3 DM's. Eustace and Thorne just knew that role. They took so much ***** work off the other 2 midfielders. 

The other mistake Mac made was the tinkering of the defence.

We'd already lost Thorne, Eustace, Martin. So our spine had taken a blow. Then he seemed to set about systematically destroying confidence.

By tinkering with the defence we started to see the worst of Forsyth. Cyrus had broken completely. Then Whitbread, Shotton and Buxton couldn't get settled. Kept getting traded all over the place. And Keogh never knew who his partners would be. He even appeared at RB himself 

Then to kick a team that's down we had all the speculation and panic around Newcastle. 

The lessons to learn from this season were blatant. And I wish Mac had been here longer to show if he can learn. I wish we'd spent £25m on just a Thorne and Martin with a good defender thrown in. Maybe loan a winger because Mac was really good with wingers. He didn't like them to play 90mins and if we had what he called "a full back game" then he gave himself all kinds of options. Dawkins was a great slowly slowly catchy monkey alternative for building play. Ward and Russell very much for exploding play. Ibe for ridiculous ability to go through defenders with the ball. Far more direct than anyone else. No going around them. Through them!! He was improving too. 

So much to take from this season. So much to build on 

It still sticks with me - at Wembley qpr go down to 10 men we did not put bamford on which we should have immediately - I believe we win the game 1-0 2-0 3-0 - I thought that was crazy not doing that 

when we signed Ince bent lingard yes we improved our options yes we started scoring more I think but we were totally overrun because they did zero covering. if Russell and ward had played we would have had that work rate with enough goals.

59 minutes ago, cannable said:

I hate hate hate that word.

Surely if we had 'bottled it' we wouldn't have produced the fight backs we did against Millwall and Huddersfield? We'd have just rolled over.

Like we did against Reading. I must agree with you on the 'bottled it' though. Capitulated was the word I wanted use. I'm not sure why I didn't. 

44 minutes ago, curtains said:

:D:o

Wristslashers rule

Where were they pre season and after Pearson was appointed 

Where were what? The criticism of all the recruitment?

Been posts about that since Bent and Weimann joined

Or where was the criticism of Pearson? I seen a few say they weren't keen on him. But are you asking for people to criticise his tactics and selections before we've seen the team?

Shall we all criticise The Rams performances in January 2020?

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

It still sticks with me - at Wembley qpr go down to 10 men we did not put bamford on which we should have immediately - I believe we win the game 1-0 2-0 3-0 - I thought that was crazy not doing that 

when we signed Ince bent lingard yes we improved our options yes we started scoring more I think but we were totally overrun because they did zero covering. if Russell and ward had played we would have had that work rate with enough goals.

Hindsight is perfect tho.  Nobody could have predicted the zamora calamity.  What went wrong was they gave us the wings and we stupidly stopped the full frontal approach running at their static defence was causing them problems.  If it had got to extra time the fresh legs of bamford would have been released.  I blame Mac for quite a lot but I could see where he was going with keeping bamford back.  What a bloody awful day

52 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Where were what? The criticism of all the recruitment?

Been posts about that since Bent and Weimann joined

Or where was the criticism of Pearson? I seen a few say they weren't keen on him. But are you asking for people to criticise his tactics and selections before we've seen the team?

Shall we all criticise The Rams performances in January 2020?

The inference is it's all gone wrong. 

Lets just consider for one moment that we might do well this season. We might do great and even get promoted. 

17 minutes ago, curtains said:

The inference is it's all gone wrong. 

Lets just consider for one moment that we might do well this season. We might do great and even get promoted. 

Yeah. We might. Not ruled it out.

But even if we beat Newcastle 15-0. Anybody who said what we've done so far has been crap would still be spot on. 

14 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Yeah. We might. Not ruled it out.

But even if we beat Newcastle 15-0. Anybody who said what we've done so far has been crap would still be spot on. 

No worse than some of the games under McClaren.  

Rotherham away 3-0 down at half time and imploding. 

Got it back to 3-3 after 3 halftime substitutions one of them being Lingard 

25 minutes ago, curtains said:

No worse than some of the games under McClaren.  

Rotherham away 3-0 down at half time and imploding. 

Got it back to 3-3 after 3 halftime substitutions one of them being Lingard 

21 minutes ago, curtains said:

McClaren times. 

Couldn't defend for toffee. 

I'm not sure of the point you're making

It's still been crap. Honest.