we need new 'intent' not new strikers!!

Mostyn6

Those of you getting wet with excitement any time we are linked with new strikers are in for bitter disappointment if you think we will suddenly start scoring a boat load of goals.

We don't need new players as much as we need to improve the level of positive attacking intent.

You can't score goals when all your players are near halfway, so buying Vydra is not going to improve anything.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've thought of a new song.

wristslash army! wristslash army!

Just kidding.

A lot of the comments (although true of any striker) around Vydra are give him the right service and he'll score.

We haven't been giving any of our strikers proper service, as the midfield is always about 20 yards away!

14 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Those of you getting wet with excitement any time we are linked with new strikers are in for bitter disappointment if you think we will suddenly start scoring a boat load of goals.

We don't need new players as much as we need to improve the level of positive attacking intent.

You can't score goals when all your players are near halfway, so buying Vydra is not going to improve anything.

Boooooooooooooooooooo. 

3 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I've thought of a new song.

wristslash army! wristslash army!

Just kidding.

A lot of the comments (although true of any striker) around Vydra are give him the right service and he'll score.

We haven't been giving any of our strikers proper service, as the midfield is always about 20 yards away!

I am thinking what Pearson is trying to achieve is the LCFC model, suck the opposition attack in and break out quickly through a Mahrez type player out wide and a fast forward line, unfortunately our previous Management purchased players that fitted a different type of play, Martin is best utilised with midfielders around the box in which he can feed.

sorry for quoting LCFC, I know its a criminal offence :(

Although the performances have been quite poor, I think the attacking intent has still been there. 94 shots over the 6 games, just 23 of those on target and only 3 goals. And yes, quite a lot of those were probably long range efforts from outside the box, but according to WhoScored nearly half of our shots this season have come from inside the area. So roughly 47 shots from inside the area and just 3 goals have come from them. Our forwards need to find their shooting boots or they could find themselves behind Wilson and possibly Vydra/Wells/Hogan in the pecking order.

We've already got an enviable squad of players who aren't playing to the best of their ability. Adding to our bloated squad won't fix the issue. We don't need shiny new signings, we need better management from the staff and better application from the players themselves.

Agree with this although i'm hopeful that another addition or two will just help mould things all together.

Seen this before at York in the last 2 seasons. In 2013/14 / 14/15 as I went to most games. There was a shortage of goals in those two seasons and a similar pattern of play in games to what I've seen at Derby this season. Although many fans were having a pop at various strikers for hardly ever scoring, even though even more were brought in to try and address the problem you could see that there was absolutely zero creativity in the middle of the park to the point where it became really predictable sideways football. Russ Wilcox the then manager played wing backs who actually never crossed the half way line so the opposition played a higher line and always seemed to have extra players available higher up the pitch to create more. There was no urgency, every game was laboured and everytime York went a goal down we knew the best we could hope for would be a draw because the chances and goals just weren't there.

That's my worry from what I've seen this season. We don't look capable of a turning round a 1 goal deficit at the moment.

It's also a confidence thing and the longer a rut goes on the more difficult it is to change. I've seen trends in the first lot of Derby games that remind me of the last couple of York seasons but obviously the resources at Derby and the superior management team in place here would ensure that Derby don't succumb to the same fate as York City. Also I've seen enough certainly in the second halves of games that when we decide to be more aggressive and attack minded that we can create chances.

With this in mind we just need the players we have to get more shooting practice as the number of shots off target from good positions has been embarrassing IMO to say these players are supposed to be talented enough to command tens of thousands of pounds a week. I'm still confident that things will eventually click as the players grow into the season and overall results this season haven't been too bad, just the performances. I wouldn't say no to a new striker or two though.....:whistle:

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

We've had loads of chances and had loads of shots. They're not on target.

That's a personnel problem, not an issue with intent.

58 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I guess the idea is with pace up front, it will force the opposition to sit deeper, allowing space for our fancy dan midfield players. 

44 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Although the performances have been quite poor, I think the attacking intent has still been there. 94 shots over the 6 games, just 23 of those on target and only 3 goals. And yes, quite a lot of those were probably long range efforts from outside the box, but according to WhoScored nearly half of our shots this season have come from inside the area. So roughly 47 shots from inside the area and just 3 goals have come from them. Our forwards need to find their shooting boots or they could find themselves behind Wilson and possibly Vydra/Wells/Hogan in the pecking order.

Spot on. We may not be freeflowing as such but we are creating the opportunities. Usually the international break comes at the wrong time for us as we are usually on a role but this international break has come at the right time for once. It lets Pearson work with the players and get more familiar with his style.

Blackman and Camara had 8-10 shots between them on Tuesday against Carlisle, all of which roughly took the same form - run with the ball towards the defence, get to about 20 yards out and hit it (wide if Nick, over if Razza) every time, became so predictable. At one point, Butterfield went over to Razza and obviously said to cross it next time, which he did and created something.

We need to be clever when attacking, we have players who can run at back lines and go past a man, they need the ability to look up and pass occasionally, as well as our forwards on their toes and moving 

Shots and opportunities aren't the same thing though. 

The Brighton game we created some great chances. But apart from that we're mostly firing from 25 yards out or tough headers from crossing. Tbf that's pretty much all we're giving away at our end too.

It's not a strikers dream though is it? Not exactly full of overlapping runs and putting anything behind defenders. Of our 60 shots or whatever it is I think the opposition GK would be ok with facing about 45 of them. Few chances to do some Hollywood saves. 

Not had 60 shots that were unlucky. Mostly hopeful

2 hours ago, curtains said:

That's it Mostyn has spoken. 

We are all down in the dumps again back to no goals reality folks. 

If you've got nothing interesting or intelligent to say, do us all a favour and keep schtum you attention-seeking wet-wipe! If you disagree with my opinion, or anyone else's for that matter, show us the same respect we show you and debate it properly.

1 hour ago, r4derby said:

Blackman and Camara had 8-10 shots between them on Tuesday against Carlisle, all of which roughly took the same form - run with the ball towards the defence, get to about 20 yards out and hit it (wide if Nick, over if Razza) every time, became so predictable. At one point, Butterfield went over to Razza and obviously said to cross it next time, which he did and created something.

We need to be clever when attacking, we have players who can run at back lines and go past a man, they need the ability to look up and pass occasionally, as well as our forwards on their toes and moving 

as @Alpha says, a speculative and wild long-shot is not a created chance. How many through balls are being thread into the path of a player in the area? Hardly any.

As with all bold statements there is a germ of truth. I don't think it boils down to shots or where the shots were from. 

What has stood out for me is the number of times we have looked second best in the middle of the park yet we have some of the top midfielders in the division ( supposedly ) I am not singling anyone out because they have all had one thing in common .. Inconsistent games.

Butterfield has looked hungry and positive in one game and then slow to react in another. Bryson seems to lack his customers zip. Johnson .. Good game against Carlisle but dire at the seasons start. Even JR has looked out of sorts one game to the next. I think this is why we get over excited about Razza .. Because it looks like he's trying full on every time he's on the pitch. One of the things everyone said about NP was that he gets his men to die for the cause. I haven't seen enough of that from some team members. There are excuses, mitigating factors but I honestly believe that we need to show some blood and guts on Friday. Press, win the second ball don't be bullied, get stuck in, be brave. We do have good players and I like just about all of them. They can do much much better. 

Still, I'm more than glad we've signed Wilson ;)

Like Danny Higginbotham said, a pacey striker will make a centre half wary and step back a few yards, allowing our team to push up. With Wilson and Vydra the kind of strikers that will chase there defence down, I think it will encourage the whole team to push forward. 

Just an opinion though so probably doesn't count for much.

Archived