we need new 'intent' not new strikers!!

Mostyn6

It's been a long running problem / debate that although we have some very talented midfield player s we really struggle to get the balance in there right consistency wise 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

as @Alpha says, a speculative and wild long-shot is not a created chance. How many through balls are being thread into the path of a player in the area? Hardly any.

I completely agree, I said this to my old man on Tues eve. If Blackman could consistently hit the corners, as he is obviously trying to do, he could be dangerous, but we've suffered from him and others being greedy and therefore not creating anything in the oppositions box.

4 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Those of you getting wet with excitement any time we are linked with new strikers are in for bitter disappointment if you think we will suddenly start scoring a boat load of goals.

We don't need new players as much as we need to improve the level of positive attacking intent.

You can't score goals when all your players are near halfway, so buying Vydra is not going to improve anything.

Couldn't agree with this more, and yet apparently we have 15+ million quid in bids out on strikers. I hope we have plans to move Martin and some others on. As much as I'd hate to see Martin go, he deserves better than a bit part role and we need to recoup some of money from this continually growing over-expensive bloated squad. 

A few times on Tuesday night our midfielders managed to break through with the ball, running at their centre halves, Neither of the strikers made a penetrating run to try and get in behind, they were just jogging lazily, not stretching the defence at all, Wilson and Vydra will make those runs and we've all hoped for years that Will Hughes is the type of player to make the passes. 

2 hours ago, r4derby said:

Blackman and Camara had 8-10 shots between them on Tuesday against Carlisle, all of which roughly took the same form - run with the ball towards the defence, get to about 20 yards out and hit it (wide if Nick, over if Razza) every time, became so predictable. At one point, Butterfield went over to Razza and obviously said to cross it next time, which he did and created something.

We need to be clever when attacking, we have players who can run at back lines and go past a man, they need the ability to look up and pass occasionally, as well as our forwards on their toes and moving 

If Razza played on the left he might be tempted to get to the line and get a cross in. He is always going to cut in and shoot from the right. Easy this coaching lark!

I love how selling Martin and bringing in X striker is a guarantee for success. Let's blow another 10 million pounds on a forward who may or may not work rather than tweak a top 6 play off side with a 20+ goal a season forward already on the books.

How many other sides that finished in the playoffs have decided to reinvent the wheel and go back to square one?

2 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

A few times on Tuesday night our midfielders managed to break through with the ball, running at their centre halves, Neither of the strikers made a penetrating run to try and get in behind, they were just jogging lazily, not stretching the defence at all, Wilson and Vydra will make those runs and we've all hoped for years that Will Hughes is the type of player to make the passes. 

Yes to this, Bent & Blackman need replacing pronto 

4 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Those of you getting wet with excitement any time we are linked with new strikers are in for bitter disappointment if you think we will suddenly start scoring a boat load of goals.

We don't need new players as much as we need to improve the level of positive attacking intent.

You can't score goals when all your players are near halfway, so buying Vydra is not going to improve anything.

If I can just add my view to this. Why are we playing much of our our football 30 yards in the air, leaving most of the team back on the halfway line? All these high balls pumped into the corners are a nonsense. We have the players who are very capable of playing through teams with the ball on the grass. This crappy style of football is doing my head in, we have invested feck knows how much on a super pitch let's use it.

Agree with a lot of what you say Mostyn, I feel like pace upfront is needed though to push their defence back which either creates space between defence and midfield or pushes their whole team back to avoid leaving spaces. This in turn allows our whole team to play further forward. Maybe the two are linked? 

Martin is a great striker but he won't stretch a defence or push them back. A pacey striker won't hold the ball up as wel but will ensure the defence is pushed back. 

2 hours ago, wixman1884 said:

Couldn't agree with this more, and yet apparently we have 15+ million quid in bids out on strikers. I hope we have plans to move Martin and some others on. As much as I'd hate to see Martin go, he deserves better than a bit part role and we need to recoup some of money from this continually growing over-expensive bloated squad. 

I'm firmly in the Eddie Howe philosophical camp of bloated squad equals toxic dressing room equals players not performing.

My only issue with NP right now is he's hoarding what he sees as a wealth of players, and his strength of character won't trump the demoralizing that happens when senior players don't play. Our team wouldn't be any worse off for wear if we shedded grant Russell Ince Butterfield Blackman ince bent Martin and Hendrick Pearce and Baird. Then Mitchell or Roos,  Elsnick rawson Lowe Hanson Zanzala could take more important roles and we'd have room to bring in a lethal striker (plus Wilson) a winger and another right back. I see we are linked for a right back (Yedelin/wisdom) and strikers (vydra/brentford vardy fella) so the incomings make sense. Agree with what we need but we need outgoings more than incomings, as you say. 

2 hours ago, bcnram said:

If I can just add my view to this. Why are we playing much of our our football 30 yards in the air, leaving most of the team back on the halfway line? All these high balls pumped into the corners are a nonsense. We have the players who are very capable of playing through teams with the ball on the grass. This crappy style of football is doing my head in, we have invested feck knows how much on a super pitch let's use it.

Made a few jokes about that. 

It does seem as if Mel has made a long term investment on that pitch. It could last up to 20 years with the way we're playing. Might get a bit messed up about 25 yards from each goal where the ball takes off and lands

I agree with @Mostyn's original post. Bringing in a 20 goal a season striker is nothing but a waste of money and a PR stunt, if we can't get our current crop of players doing what they've been doing pretty well for the last 3 seasons.

even though last season was hit and miss,  Martin and Ince scored almost as many goals as the Goddard/Saunders partnership that we all eulogise so fondly.

My biggest surprise with Pearson at the helm, is how lethargic and slow our play has been (particularly in the first halves).

I thought he would add more steel to our defence and more motivation and cohesion to our attack.

its still early days, but considering his reputation is being the 'strong hand on the wheel', I'm a little bit concerned how much of a rudderless ship we've appeared to be.

Any one think he's trying out 'Plan B's' until Thorne comes back and then hit us with the best, most dynamic 4-3-3 we've ever seen..!?

I live in hope.

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

I'm firmly in the Eddie Howe philosophical camp of bloated squad equals toxic dressing room equals players not performing.

My only issue with NP right now is he's hoarding what he sees as a wealth of players, and his strength of character won't trump the demoralizing that happens when senior players don't play. Our team wouldn't be any worse off for wear if we shedded grant Russell Ince Butterfield Blackman ince bent Martin and Hendrick Pearce and Baird. Then Mitchell or Roos,  Elsnick rawson Lowe Hanson Zanzala could take more important roles and we'd have room to bring in a lethal striker (plus Wilson) a winger and another right back. I see we are linked for a right back (Yedelin/wisdom) and strikers (vydra/brentford vardy fella) so the incomings make sense. Agree with what we need but we need outgoings more than incomings, as you say. 

Wow Ninos ... Get that drain cleaner out and let's rod out the whole system ! .. But yes you're right. I think there is a lack of a model at the moment and too much being held back for numerous possible eventualities. At a certain point you need a definitive plan with a back up scenario. Whilst right now the plan is just coming together and we seem to have about 3 back up scenarios depending on what the undecided final plan is .. So it looks bloated, no one knows if they are in the top set and no one knows who the second string/ back up might be. Injuries don't help but ninos is  right .. Senior players will be thinking "where do I fit in all this" and whatever walk of life you are in, most of us need direction and need to know where we stand. 

To excuse NP .. He is a new boy and what he is doing is almost inevitable. If we weren't seeing this phoney war scenario he probably wouldn't be doing his job ... Patience fellow Rams .. No doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. If a big name is coming in then we should expect an equivalent departure 

I personally trust the coaches and manager, if they feel after four games that the players can't follow the instructions that are given to them and play in any other formation than 4-3-3, then I can see why they feel the need to inject some fresh blood up front.   I can't remember the last time we put in two or three good performances in on the trot, under any of the last four managers.

Can think of loads of times we've put in 2 and 3 good performances on the trot. But most recently we put 4 wins together including back to back victories with 4 goals in each game in April. We beat Hull 4-0 and then went and beat Bolton 4-1 away.

I'd imagine there's not many teams outside the best in Europe that can put 5 great performances on the trot and the results to go with them. 

Archived