55 shots 1 goal...

North_Stand_Ram

7 hours ago, Ninos said:

Weve scored 1 in 55 (from a defender set up by Hughes) and the problem is playing Will out of position at CDM? Will is our best player (bar Thorne) but come on ... i think we all know where the problem lies. We have plenty of total junk strikers, that's where the problem lies. we should sell Martin Ince Bent Russell Blackman and weimann and get one good lethal striker for the lot of them.

I’m no fan of Bent or Blackman and if anyone comes in with a decent offer for Ince then I hope we take it. But it’s a team game and so the problem does in part lie in playing Will out of position at CDM.

The best and most consistent football I’ve seen over the past couple of years is when we had an experienced DM (Thorne or Eustace) plus all four of Martin, Bryson, Russell and Hughes smoothly and cleverly running, passing and flicking the ball to each other past a bewildered opposition.

None of the players we’ve bought in over the past couple of years have been able to replace any one of those attacking and interlocking gang of four - nor have we brought anyone in, other than Thorne himself, who has been as competent at DM as the cheap and aging Eustace.

The combination of key injuries and bonkers recruitment since the play off final has been bloody annoying.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hughes out of position.

Lack of decent penetrating wingers.

Centre midfielders not getting behind the strikers.

Full backs who cannot cross.

CM's being played on the wings.

Strikers who cannot create themselves and have the service of British Rail in their hey day.

Formations not suiting our players and a manager who has not bought in personnel to suit the tactics he wants to play.

Reality is we can all moan about the team but it's a bit of everything above as to why we are not scoring.

Its tediously boring to watch at the moment.

7 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

You're probably right; I just can't remember anything as noteworthy as 1 shot.

He might have scored a goal or something but I bet it was deflected off his arse :D

Bizarrely I think I remember him heading a last ditch equaliser against Southampton at the dell for a 3-3. Must have been about 1999 :lol:

He was dreadful other than that. ...

3 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Bizarrely I think I remember him heading a last ditch equaliser against Southampton at the dell for a 3-3. Must have been about 1999 :lol:

He was credited with the goal but its just monkeys, typewriters and the works of Shakespeare.

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Against Villa we had 11 efforts on goal... 

So there is proof that it doesn't really matter how many efforts on goal you have if the majority have so little chance of actually going in.

Against Villa we were so toothless going forward that to put any blame on Martin is ridiculous. Unless you expected him to pick the ball off the defenders, take on nine players and then score?

Bents header from Christie's cross? Thought he should have scored, it was a good chance.

2 hours ago, HantsRam said:

2 hours ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

He was credited with the goal but its just monkeys, typewriters and the works of Shakespeare.

Scored against Leicester as well, the winner if I am not mistaken.

11 hours ago, rammieib said:

Hughes out of position.

Lack of decent penetrating wingers.

Centre midfielders not getting behind the strikers.

Full backs who cannot cross.

CM's being played on the wings.

Strikers who cannot create themselves and have the service of British Rail in their hey day.

It's the same team as last year and these things weren't generally a problem then. All that's changed is a new manager

11 minutes ago, admira said:

It's the same team as last year and these things weren't generally a problem then. All that's changed is a new manager

Plus a slightly different crop of long term injuries I guess. Not having a single ball winning centre mid is a worry. Not being linked with any possible replacements is a concern also.

36 minutes ago, admira said:

They were not good enough team last season or the 2 seasons before that - the clubs around us have all strengthened, we now have Wilson in plus I do think we need a couple more players.

But also think have to offload a couple possibly before we can buy?

I've seen it for that long it get's boring. Teams play a high line close to the half way line as they know we haven't got the pace. This suffocates the space and allows the opposition to close us down and our play makers not being able to create much. This also causes misplaced passes as well as sideways/backwards passing all the time. 

He has tried playing Bent who isn't the quickest any more a lot bounced off Martin. Signing Wilson might be the key as Wilson will push the defence back as they'll be scared of his pace. This will in turn create more space for the likes of Bryson and Hughes to be able to hurt defenses again. 

....or we could just have the extra man in midfield like we have done the last 3 years, enabling the centre midfielders to push on... and thus play more in the opposition half.... this drives the oppositions defensive line back.

Balls to this "not getting over the line" in recent seasons... its been inconsistancy levels has been all thats wrong. if you want an already successful team challenging top 6, and indeed top 2 for much of those seasons, then you tinker ever so slightly to make them better, you dont rip it all down to suit your own ideas. Mark my words we will go backwards this season with Leicesters Pearson in charge.

During the Carlisle game we had 23 shots, with just 5 of them being on target.

11 shots, 2 on target v Villa.

9 shots, 1 on target v PNE

16 shots, 4 on target v Barnsley

16 shots, 5 on target v Grimsby

12 shots, 4 on target v Brighton

That equates to 87 shots, with just 21 of them being on target. So every 4 shots we work the keeper.

Simply not good enough.

41 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

During the Carlisle game we had 23 shots, with just 5 of them being on target.

11 shots, 2 on target v Villa.

9 shots, 1 on target v PNE

16 shots, 4 on target v Barnsley

16 shots, 5 on target v Grimsby

12 shots, 4 on target v Brighton

That equates to 87 shots, with just 21 of them being on target. So every 4 shots we work the keeper.

Simply not good enough.

Makes you wonder what KP and II are working on in training. 

Archived