Exam results

Wolfie

11 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

After a few days of soul searching, my lad's decided that he'd like to learn a trade, so he has some technical skills to fall back on if his dreams of Geordie Shore stardom don't materialise! 

He's applied for an electrician course at the local college, so we'll see where that takes him.

Careful he might end up spotting trains.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did A levels went to Uni, had a cracking time and got a 1;1 in pharmacy degree at the Uni of Manchester. Now doing a trainee pharmacist year in York

Going to uni can be great, new experience.

BUT

It isnt the end of the ******* world if you/your mate/your children arent academic. Hard work pays off. They will be fine as long as they have the dedication and are prepared to listen to advice and deal with the ups/downs that life throws at them

1988 I sat the first ever GCSE papers, the year I left school and they were hard then - but then, I'm not particulaly academic. From the more recent papers I've seen, I reckon we had it easy back then.

I don't know - all the kiddies on here - I did my 'O' Levels in 1980! - I thought they were pretty hard at the time - and I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah.".....

Back on topic, my son is waiting for his GCSE results this week - it really isn't possible to compare old and newer exams as so much has changed, not only content wise, but the way they're graded and the way the kids are prepped for the exams - my lad had 24 exams on top of controlled assessments and course work - but in a large number of subjects they spent the best part of the last 6 months revising and practising 'how to pass the exams'.

The change to more focus on applying knowledge can only be a good thing - the existing system does a disservice to the kids and to employers/colleges as it's so hard to distinguish between the genuinely bright and the ones who simply learned how to pass the exam....

On ‎23‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 08:18, ladyram said:

1988 I sat the first ever GCSE papers, the year I left school and they were hard then - but then, I'm not particulaly academic. From the more recent papers I've seen, I reckon we had it easy back then.

harder still for me, my old man had two heart attacks and a triple heart bypass whilst I was taking them, missed three tests completely, no compassion from the examining board :angry:

regarding your exams it was a GCE paper that's why it felt hard, I remember turning up for a CDT exam and it was all about Geometry, everybody in my year bombed it, we were informed by post that it eluded that our Teacher had early onset dementia and forgot to teach the core subjects, poor sod.

37 minutes ago, davenportram said:

And one question from 7 subjects is indicative of the whole exam paper for these subjects, and multiple choice makes them easier too.

Quite difficult to set essay type examples, how would you mark them..

6 hours ago, Posh Ram said:

Christ that's good, well done and good luck exit year.

6 hours ago, LesterRam said:

show off :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, McLovin said:

Well done, fantastic results! Celebrate now but regain focus in September and remember what your brother said about A levels. 

3 hours ago, Wolfie said:

A bit of shame about those A's though ;)

Well done!!. I hope you're going to sting the folks for some cash for them.

Cheers guys.?There's a party tonight but rest assured I will remember what he said @McLovin! Haha @Wolfie, my A in Business may be increased to an A* because my coursework mark is a bit dodgy and it's being appealed! And my mum gave me £10 today which is great because she doesn't tend to reward me with cash (which I'm completely fine with as her support is more important).

5 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Cheers guys.?There's a party tonight but rest assured I will remember what he said @McLovin! Haha @Wolfie, my A in Business may be increased to an A* because my coursework mark is a bit dodgy and it's being appealed! And my mum gave me £10 today which is great because she doesn't tend to reward me with cash (which I'm completely fine with as her support is more important).

the world is your oyster, go forth.

2 hours ago, McRamFan said:

Quite difficult to set essay type examples, how would you mark them..

Well all lf the questions in yhat quiz had one possibke correct answer so dont have it as multiple choice - it would be mke like the exams them

Have more questions and a range of questions from each subject.

You dont have to do essay questions to make it a more worthwile quiz.

15 hours ago, davenportram said:

Well all lf the questions in yhat quiz had one possibke correct answer so dont have it as multiple choice - it would be mke like the exams them

Have more questions and a range of questions from each subject.

You dont have to do essay questions to make it a more worthwile quiz.

It was a sample, not a full blown quiz.

I am sure you could find worthwhile quizzes if you wanted.

My point was that the questions where more interesting than what I remember at O level, it wasn't a critique or recommendation.

29 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

It was a sample, not a full blown quiz.

I am sure you could find worthwhile quizzes if you wanted.

My point was that the questions where more interesting than what I remember at O level, it wasn't a critique or recommendation.

I misunderstood your point then sorry, questions, particularly in maths, are moving towards applying skills in scenarios rather than memory tests.

Archived