Exam results

Wolfie

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

what would you like to do?

Do A-Levels (History, English Literature and Government and Politics) before going to Uni (I would love to go to Oxford and that's my aim but I know it's incredibly hard to do) to study either law or history. Then go on to be a lawyer in London (which is what my sister does currently). That's my basic plan but it could all change (I should be getting some work experience at Christmas time, so that will allow me to see what being a solicitor is really like).

Just now, BurtonRam7 said:

Do A-Levels (History, English Literature and Government and Politics) before going to Uni (I would love to go to Oxford and that's my aim but I know it's incredibly hard to do) to study either law or history. Then go on to be a lawyer in London (which is what my sister does currently). That's my basic plan but it could all change (I should be getting some work experience at Christmas time, so that will allow me to see what being a solicitor is really like).

good luck with your journey, hope it pans out OK for you.

9 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

That's a very detailed plan, I had no idea what career path I wanted to go into when I was at university, let alone when I was you age! Good luck, hope it works out for you.

18 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I get my GCSE results this time next week, hopefully the hard work will pay off.?

Good luck with your GCSE's, you should be fine mate.You seem like an intelligent boy, especially if you already have a career path in mind. A warning in advance though, don't take A levels for granted. I got fantastic GCSE results but didn't do too well in my AS levels because I underestimated them and thought I could 'ace' them. A levels don't work like that I'm afraid. It's been a good few years since I did my A levels but I imagine the same principle still applies.

14 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

good luck with your journey, hope it pans out OK for you.

9 minutes ago, McLovin said:

That's a very detailed plan, I had no idea what career path I wanted to go into when I was at university, let alone when I was you age! Good luck, hope it works out for you.

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

Good luck with your GCSE's, you should be fine mate.You seem like an intelligent boy, especially if you already have a career path in mind. A warning in advance though, don't take A levels for granted. I got fantastic GCSE results but didn't do too well in my AS levels because I underestimated them and thought I could 'ace' them. A levels don't work like that I'm afraid. It's been a good few years since I did my A levels but I imagine the same principle still applies.

Thanks guys, I will keep you updated!

On the subject of your second post Mclovin, I'm the youngest of 4 (all of whom have done A-Levels), and my brother has warned me many times of the perils of A-Levels! I've decided to work a lot more in out of school hours next year, even when I don't have exams as I know that it will be necessary to get the best marks I possibly can. Thanks for the advice.?

47 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

I am shocked, I genuinely meant that tongue in cheek.

Yet more lies peddled out by politicians saying that its got tougher since Gove 'improved' exams.

From a maths teacher i will say the past three GCSE's have got harder year on year and the new 1-9(theyre replacing grades with numbers 1 lowest 9 highest for Maths and English from  next summers exams ither GCSE's the year after) syllabus is even harder.

51 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

Is that from previous years or just going forward, I have a problem with our education system and how it is run, Ofsted reports or "Acting for the day" as my missus calls it is a shambles, the school my missus unfortunately teaches at tells the disruptive kids to stay away on the days Ofsted are due :huh:

Comparing questions with previous years and looking at the skills needed to get the required marks for each grade.

2 hours ago, davenportram said:

From a maths teacher i will say the past three GCSE's have got harder year on year and the new 1-9(theyre replacing grades with numbers 1 lowest 9 highest for Maths and English from  next summers exams ither GCSE's the year after) syllabus is even harder.

correct, August 2013 they made a change to Maths

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23759165

I took GCSE's in the first draft in 1989, yes it was bloody hard because it was the old GCE paper and was hacked together at the last minute.

1 hour ago, ketteringram said:

You can't leave it there! What happened next?? 

I am still not really doing much now, It started by an accounting error by an employee on my watch which hit me hard, he pissed off to Thailand and left me liable for huge debts to creditors and HMRC, I lost everything and HMRC were as ruthless as ever so now I have a life of stress, panic attacks and abject poverty.

1 hour ago, LesterRam said:

I am still not really doing much now, It started by an accounting error by an employee on my watch which hit me hard, he pissed off to Thailand and left me liable for huge debts to creditors and HMRC, I lost everything and HMRC were as ruthless as ever so now I have a life of stress, panic attacks and abject poverty.

Oops! Sorry. Didn't realise it was something ongoing! Should have known better than to ask! 

4 hours ago, LesterRam said:

correct, August 2013 they made a change to Maths

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23759165

I took GCSE's in the first draft in 1989, yes it was bloody hard because it was the old GCE paper and was hacked together at the last minute.

I know ive been teaching it!!! They changed it in 2012 too and removed the modular exams,

I took my exams in 1994 and they were no harder than they are now. Different content but no difference in dufficulty.

27 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Oops! Sorry. Didn't realise it was something ongoing! Should have known better than to ask! 

I'll be free from all liabilities soon, I have good friends in finance that would help me get back on my feet when I am ready :)

2 hours ago, LesterRam said:

It wasnt Nick Leeson was it?

After a few days of soul searching, my lad's decided that he'd like to learn a trade, so he has some technical skills to fall back on if his dreams of Geordie Shore stardom don't materialise! 

He's applied for an electrician course at the local college, so we'll see where that takes him.

Archived