Exam results

Wolfie

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
38 minutes ago, Squid said:

Fair enough, unfortunately not everyone who doesnt do well cant make a career out of being an opinionated knob.

My son's got a D, E and 2 U's at AS Level.

What should he do now?

His school want him to retake English Lit and RE at AS level, whilst doing Media at A Level, but he's not interested in returning to 6th form.

Any advice appreciated!

4 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

What should he do now?

His school want him to retake English Lit and RE at AS level, whilst doing Media at A Level, but he's not interested in returning to 6th form.

Any advice appreciated!

Apprenticeship or vocational qualification at collage.

Not everyone is suited to A levels. What does he like doing?

15 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

What should he do now?

Any advice appreciated!

It depends if he is still interested in doing A levels as you can do them at college if he is still interested. Tell him to not get too bogged down on his a level results, they're a massive jump from GCSE. I didn't get the best of A level results when I did them but I'm doing fairly well for myself. I've never been a fan of tests because they only really assess  how good your memory is. It's like a driving test, you can be a very good driver but you can fail on the day. I'm more a fan of term time exams rather than exams at the end of the year

1 minute ago, McRamFan said:

Apprenticeship or vocational qualification at collage.

Not everyone is suited to A levels. What does he like doing?

Tried telling him not to go down the A-Level route, he was offered a place on a Arts Course that covered all aspects from fine art to architecture and design, with a guaranteed place at UAL upon completion, but i think he wanted to stay with his friends at 6th form.

He has no idea what he wants to do now, so trying to guide him is hard, he's looking at college courses now but it feels as if he's just wasted the last year.

Typical lad, likes music, gaming and sports, he got 9 A-C's at GCSE so it's not a case of him not being bright enough, just a lack of application.

44 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Tried telling him not to go down the A-Level route, he was offered a place on a Arts Course that covered all aspects from fine art to architecture and design, with a guaranteed place at UAL upon completion, but i think he wanted to stay with his friends at 6th form.

He has no idea what he wants to do now, so trying to guide him is hard, he's looking at college courses now but it feels as if he's just wasted the last year.

Typical lad, likes music, gaming and sports, he got 9 A-C's at GCSE so it's not a case of him not being bright enough, just a lack of application.

I'm sure my parents were saying exactly the same thing 13 years ago. Don't put it down as a year wasted, more of a year of learning and experience. When I was 17 I left 6th Form and started doing an apprenticeship, (also after a year didn't feel like it was what I wanted to do) 

It is crazy that as 16, 17, 18 year old it almost feels like you have to train for a profession that you have no idea whether or not you are going to enjoy or even be good at, and it then just feels like you have wasted time training and in putting into something that you dislike doing or not very good at.

58 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

What should he do now?

Any advice appreciated!

Hi RD,

Sounded sort of familiar to my own experience many moons ago. Totally flunked school blaming teachers and boring subjects. Went to a then technical college to do O's and eventually good A level grades in subjects that interested me, like Law, Economics, Accounts and Business studies which the school year head had dismissed me from taking, as I was not capable enough; thus increased my lack of motivation at the time.

The experience put me a year behind many my age, little bit embarrassing and refusing to do resits as they were for "retards" according to many of my peers. By the time I'd finished travelling, doing plenty of so called "menial" jobs along the way, I eventually knuckled down to get a 2:1 honours degree, 2 years behind my age group. So what!

The other reason I'd gone tec was I also didn't know what I wanted to do, but it wasn't boring school subjects! Whilst the reason I travelled was again no clue on career path but a desire to gain life experience, rolling up my sleeves at times to earn my keep in doing so.

My advice would be let him go with his gut instinct, not be cajoled by anyone, if he's strong enough character, he'll apply himself eventually to what he wants to do, as you come to realise, I've got to make this work if I want X to happen in my life.

Good luck to him anyway.

1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

They are alot easier nowadays. :ph34r:

yes true and its a real shame, the reason being we have league tables which have to prove that education is improving, my missus writes the scheme of work every year for edexcel and she has to dumb it down year on year to pass the regulator, education is in a real **** place right now :angry:

8 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

yes true and its a real shame, the reason being we have league tables which have to prove that education is improving, my missus writes the scheme of work every year for edexcel and she has to dumb it down year on year to pass the regulator, education is in a real **** place right now :angry:

Well the new maths sylabus from next year is a lot harded, and ive seen the maths GCSE grade boundary increase for the past three years in a row and a change in exam questions that now focus on problem solving rather than memory. But thats just Maths and a different board. Perhaps exam boards competing for customers based on pass rate has created a conflict.

A - levels this year also focussed on applying skills rather than regurgitating imformation.

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Fair enough, unfortunately not everyone who doesnt do well cant make a career out of being an opinionated knob.

I have

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

What should he do now?

Any advice appreciated!

Prostitution?

10 minutes ago, davenportram said:

Well the new maths sylabus from next year is a lot harded, and ive seen the maths GCSE grade boundary increase for the past three years in a row and a change in exam questions that now focus on problem solving rather than memory. But thats just Maths and a different board. Perhaps exam boards competing for customers based on pass rate has created a conflict.

A - levels this year also focussed on applying skills rather than regurgitating imformation.

Is that from previous years or just going forward, I have a problem with our education system and how it is run, Ofsted reports or "Acting for the day" as my missus calls it is a shambles, the school my missus unfortunately teaches at tells the disruptive kids to stay away on the days Ofsted are due :huh:

26 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

I am shocked, I genuinely meant that tongue in cheek.

Yet more lies peddled out by politicians saying that its got tougher since Gove 'improved' exams.

Archived