Preston North End vs Derby County Official Match Thread 16/08/16 19.45

Carl Sagan

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got to hotel first thoughts.

Held possession a little better up front, probably due to inclusion of Martin. Forsyth had got onto a lot of headers without anyone picking up on them, so was real pleased he got on the end of the winner.

Preston were lively at times but always felt the game was there for the taking, Carson largely untested. Butterfield seemed a bit wayward in his passing and Christie surged forward a great deal but I just wish he'd look up and find his team mates more.   Hughes at times like on the winner threaded great balls through and Bryson did ok, just not convinced about them as a central pairing. Razza will rightly get plaudits but I thought Russell was productive too, his energy bought an improvement on Barnsley and he created some threats. Oh and Keogh led from the back by example, all in my opinion.

Overall we deserved the win. 

4141 is pretty much 433 but seems more defensive out of possession.

When your wide men are Ince and Russell, and you've got three central midfielders playing in the middle and a lone forward in Martin, that's very much round pegs in round holes.

Decent result, and a better performance it seems.

Much better tonight. Things looked more comfortable. Hughes and Forsyth back to something like after their personal horror shows at Barnsley. I was most impressed by those two, Butterfield, Martin and then Camara who showed glimpses of sheer pace and a few tricks. PNE were very poor though. They looked there to be beaten and their fans weren't any more up for it either. So the win was much needed. Don't get things twisted, we weren't any great shakes tonight but we were much more at ease as a team/unit. More fluency especially in midfield. And if we're keeping Martin then he has to start ahead of Bent. That's just obvious. 

I'd be looking to see the same starting lineup for the weekend and resisting temptation to start Camara. Let's see if he can have another impact off the bench. Then you give him a start. Of course, I say this as a supporter and not a qualified coach who sees the players day in, day out. 

Bring on the Villa. 

Interesting that Ince got subbed for razza instead of the exhausted Russell - anyway very important 3 points and a bit of confidence for everyone. Forsyth still probably one of the best full backs in the league which is nice to see him again, hopefully he can manage more than one goal a season.

Just got back from a fantastic night. We played so much better (apart from a few patches of poor play) than Saturday and you could tell how much difference going back to the 4-3-3 made. 

I felt so so happy for Razza when he changed the game, you can tell from his Twitter that he's been desperate to show what he can do and so when he set up the winner I went absolutely crazy! What I thought was brilliant was how at the end when the whole of the away section was singing his name, the team surrounded him and were congratulating him, so it seems like he's a decent lad who's popular in the dressing room.

Roll on Villa!

Boy what a difference a goal makes. Three minutes from a probable start to the season of just two points from nine available. Forsyth pop's up with his great header & its four points from nine. Fine margins in this very tough league as ever.

Lets enjoy the result knowing it will most certainly help player confidence. But we must remember from that performance we a still a very long way off the finished article, but one step at a time.

Hope we now stick with this 4-1-4-1. Dangerous to base it from one game, but as Bris said, round pegs in round holes.

It's just a more defensive 4-3-3. Allows us to exploit the wealth of centre mids, and with one in front of the defense, should help the other two push further forward to support Martin.

Don't think Hughes is the one for the screening though, but without Thorne, hard to say who would be the next best.

With everyone fit:

Carson
                              Christie    Keogh   Shackell    Forsyth
                                                     Thorne
                               Ince      Hughes    Butterfield   Russell
                                                      Martin                               

Just now, cheron85 said:

Just watched the hihglights and have a single comment...

Did I just watch Martin running on to a through ball?

Yup.

Archived