Lee Grant - Signed for Stoke

t'oldu

I find it interesting that one of our players has gone on loan and has not only discovered the form that made him our number 1 before injury but actually on current form is one of the best keepers in the country. 

Our response....sell him. 

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, sage said:

I find it interesting that one of our players has gone on loan and has not only discovered the form that made him our number 1 before injury but actually on current form is one of the best keepers in the country. 

Yep sell him sell all the ones who everybody else wants ( I don't mind if grant goes as he wants to), like I said in the last transfer window other teams only want our better players that is why the likes of second in the league Brighton value players like Russell and many posters on here only ever want them gone and go on about replacing them with inferior products

For me the issue is straightforward - if Grant returns to Derby will he dislodge Carson as our No.1 keeper? On Carsons' current form I would say most unlikely and barring injury, Carson is likely to keep the position so Grant would return, at best, as our No.2 goalie, pushing Mitchell further down the order and denying him first team involvement, either on the bench or for FA Cup appearance(s).

Forget the touted £4m fee rubbish - given Grants' contract situation, anything close to £1m we should be snatching Stoke's hand off and putting it towards strengthening with quality where I think we need it most - a RB and a striker who's skillss include good hold-up play.

3 hours ago, sage said:

Are you questioning Carson's form?

In my opinion, he has been absolutely brilliant this season.

31 minutes ago, eddie said:

Are you questioning Carson's form?

In my opinion, he has been absolutely brilliant this season.

I am questioning that no one seems to be even thinking 'oh one of our players is playing very well, let's keep him'

If he really wamts to go then we need to get the best price we can but he seems to be discarded by fans as if he is a poor player. He is far from that.

2 minutes ago, sage said:

I am questioning that no one seems to be even thinking 'oh one of our players is playing very well, let's keep him'

If he really wamts to go then we need to get the best price we can but he seems to be discarded by fans as if he is a poor player. He is far from that.

He lost form with us which coincided with the team going through a bad patch but as the goalkeeper he became an easy target, not helped by some abysmal kicking. He has always been a very agile keeper and an excellent shot-stopper but when I think of Grant the image that comes to mind is what happened for one of the Leicester goals when he came out to punch and got nowhere near the ball, ending up in no-man's land. Maybe a bit unfair but it's how I see him but pleased he's doing well at Stoke.

I think someone stated this previously but I thought it was a good point. Grant was always a good shop stopper for us and his distribution was generally very good. However, his weakness was collecting balls in the air from crosses. At Stoke he has a back 4 who clear everything away from crosses(it also helps that not too many teams cross as much as they do in the championship). 

I just hope he doesn't find his hoovering mode before we can struck a deal with Stoke or someone else. Only two weeks, hang in there Lee!

TBF he probably would do well with us at the moment, just like he is doing with Stoke. We are not playing with as much possession as we did when he was dropped. Lack of concentration and ability to punch crosses to own net doesn't show that badly.

But give me Carson and his seven to eight performances over Grant's 4-4-9-4 form anytime.

3 hours ago, sage said:

He lost form, Carson came in and has never looked back. I agree that Grant is a quality keeper, but he deserves to be playing first-team football which he won't get at Derby. Undoubtedly Derby are aware of his form - and his worth - and it is now down to Stoke and Derby to come to an arrangement. The ball is in their court - but Derby hold the aces (and the mixed metaphors).

Derby need to either find the right price for him to go to stoke and/or shop and sell him to another premier league team - how would you like that Mark Hughes ? - or get him to sign a new 2 year deal which he obviously won't do. You have to believe the deal with stoke will get done.

I wonder if Stoke played hard ball when we signed Shotton and this is big Sam getting his own back.

To get a penny more than zero for Grant would have been a fair deal given his age, contract and position in the squad, his wages off the bill would have been a bonus in itself.

750k if true would have been a t'riffik deal, so to ask for more is pretty darn cheeky.

I am sure Grant will be a Stoke player come Jan, we will get a fair old deal and Grant will be happy, just gotta hope we don't want to go signing anyone from Stoke in the near future.

Let's look at it the other way, if we had an on loan goalkeeper that had 6 months left on his deal, how much would we want to pay? Would we be saying sign him for a penny? £500k, £750k max? I have seen our fans saying just pay what other teams are asking for when we are trying to sign players, asking why we are being so tight when trying to sign players in the past, so why are we the bad guys when trying to get the best deal possible for one of players that is performing at the top league and should just let him go for less than what he is worth?

The reason I think no-one is clamouring to keep him is because of how solid our back 5 has been. 

Grant may be in the form of his life at Stoke but that doesn't mean it would definitely be the case here, then would dropping Carson affect his morale etc etc. 

I think this is a good move for all parties, just depends on the negotiations. I'd be happy with £1m for Granty, but I trust in our Sam to get the best deal for the club.

Archived