Ince Interview

Animal is a Ram

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/i-feel-fitter-and-stronger-says-rams-man-tom-ince/story-29580175-detail/story.html

Change of manager often means a time of change and it can be a period of uncertainty for players. Will they be a part of the new manager's plans?

Ince says Pearson has come in and given everyone a lift and a sense of direction.

Pearson won two promotions from League One and the Championship in his previous job at Leicester City. He also kept the Foxes in the Premier League thanks to a remarkable late-season recovery.

He knows Derby's strengths but he is also aware of what work is needed if the Rams are to escape the division.

"Yes, we are good when we have the ball. And, yes, we can play nice football but can we be tough to break down? Can we really work hard to get back into shape? I think that is the biggest thing the manager wants us to do," said Ince.

"He wants us to have that togetherness and strength. We know we have bundles of ability in this team but we have to have the strength and the mentality.

"Every game is tough and that is where you need the togetherness and a strong focus. Can we stay in a game if we are not playing well?

"A lot of times last season we felt if we were not on top then we didn't feel like we could nick a point or a 1-0 win. We were too easy on the eye and sometimes we were not nasty enough.

"The gaffer has come in and he knows the ability in the team. He knows the players and that when we have the ball we can destroy teams but I think it is off the ball where we can get in shape and be hard to beat.

"Once in shape, we can counter attack. We have enough quick players and enough in the final third who can make things happen."

Ince says the players learned plenty from the training camp in Portugal and from the defeat by Portuguese champions Benfica in the Algarve Cup.

"We learned a lot about ourselves in that we need to get stronger as a team, both physically and mentally, and also the importance of game management," Ince added.

"The gaffer has brought in his tips and the foundations that we need to take on board."

Ince smiled when asked how tough pre-season training has been under Pearson.

"It was so hot in Portugal," said Ince. "The gaffer decided we would train at about 6pm or 7pm when it would be slightly cooler. Was it cooler? Not a chance! There was no air.

"The day before we came back we did a 50-minute running session. It was tough but it was not just running for running's sake.

"You do it for your fitness and for team bonding. You encourage your team-mates to get over the line because we are going to need everyone this season.

"When games come on Saturday, Tuesday and Saturday, you need everyone fit, raring to go and pulling in the right direction."

So how is he feeling with the season only a few days away?

"I feel fit and I feel stronger," said Ince.

"The gaffer had me running about in pre-season which we haven't really been used to over the last couple of years, so the lads are feeling fit and strong.

"Being able to get your second wind in games and being able to stay in games and then have the strength and the fitness to go again if you need to is vital."

Ince has scored 23 goals in 64 games for Derby.

He hit 11 in 18 appearances in a purple patch during his loan spell from Hull before the Rams splashed out £4.75m to land him.

He was the club's record signing but only for a few weeks because Derby then paid £6m for Bradley Johnson from Norwich City.

Ince is 24 and in many ways he is still learning the game.

He thinks deeply about his performances and admits to being his own biggest critic. That is clear when you speak to him. He knows he can be a threat to teams, he also knows how and where he can improve.

Last season was something of a mixed bag for many of Derby's players, Ince included.

He had to wait until his eighth game for his first goal, a winner at Reading, then he failed to score in his next eight appearances before he roared back to form with a fine hat-trick against Bristol City shortly before Christmas.

A double in a crazy 3-3 draw at Rotherham ended a run of 12 games without a goal but it went somewhat unnoticed that Ince finished the season on a dozen goals and only three behind leading scorer Chris Martin.

He enjoyed a couple of rich scoring sequences – three in three and five in four – and also registered a dozen assists.

Looking back at last season, he said: "It was difficult. I have very high expectations of myself, I set myself high standards and I am my biggest critic.

"When I feel I don't play well, I may show frustration. I need to take that out of my game.

"The positive thing last season is that I reached double figures again both in assists and in goals.

"I have had a good pre-season. I feel stronger than ever and I want to be a part of the team.

"I want to work week in, week out to be part of the gaffer's plans.

"I know when I can play well and get in the final third, I can be a threat, I can get goals.

"If I can perform consistently, work hard for the team and also produce the moments that the fans expect and what the club expects, then it is a bonus for me."

The new season is just around the corner and the Championship promises to be as tough as ever.

Ince says the players are confident and determined.

"There is a new mind-set, a new focus," he added.

"The expectation will be there again but we feel we have got the gaffer now who knows what it takes.

"He has been there and done it."

Always comes across as a very grounded, reasonable person. Massive season in store from him, I feel.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting quote this:-

"The expectation will be there again but we feel we have got the gaffer now who knows what it takes."

So before we didn't have a manager who has what it takes to get us promoted? I get what he's saying he's experienced etc and I do agree with Ince.

1 minute ago, Ashz09 said:

"The expectation will be there again but we feel we have got the gaffer now who knows what it takes."

So before we didn't have a manager who has what it takes to get us promoted? I get what he's saying he's experienced etc and I do agree with Ince.

Factually, he's correct - Clement nor Wassall had any experience of being promoted, they barely had experience of being head coaches! 

Good lad.

I'm especially encouraged by this bit "When I feel I don't play well, I may show frustration. I need to take that out of my game".

If he can stop his negative body language when things don't work out, it will no doubt help those around him also. I hope Martin does the same.

53 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Good lad.

I'm especially encouraged by this bit "When I feel I don't play well, I may show frustration. I need to take that out of my game".

If he can stop his negative body language when things don't work out, it will no doubt help those around him also. I hope Martin does the same.

True was impressed also Ramage picked up on it a lot and rightly so. You could see him sulk from the stands when things don't go his way hopefully he changes that part of his game.

1 hour ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Factually, he's correct - Clement nor Wassall had any experience of being promoted, they barely had experience of being head coaches! 

Exactly at least he says it how it is.

Really sounds like ince has been made to feel important this year. Like many of us have said before ince is purely confidence based, so to have a big strong manager like Pearson putting his arm around him and really encouraging him might just turn him from a top end championship player to the Prem standard player we hope for 

There were. Many ( not me ) who did not want Pearson because the perception was that he was nothing more than a scare the pants off players bully type ,,,, whilst it's very clear he is a no nonsense tell it like it is manager who will get rid of players not putting it in or not doing their jobs it's also clear from the players already that there is far more to him than that ,, you can see he wants a bond with his players and players not only respect him they want to play for him ,,, I'm really glad Mel had the good judgment to look beyond the head coach label and grab man who is without doubt a manager coyr

5 hours ago, Ashz09 said:

Lot s of good managers around ,but there are only a few who know how to get a team over the line regarding promotion /trophies etc  .We now have one in NP .

On 8/3/2016 at 14:49, Mostyn6 said:

say what you like about his parent(s) but they've done a top job raising him as far as I am concerned. Everything about him is class for me, even his sulking.

hes a nice lad from a nice family........hes often given a hard time because of his dad, although his dad was a great player for club and country so i dont quite get that

On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 18:25, archied said:

There were. Many ( not me ) who did not want Pearson because the perception was that he was nothing more than a scare the pants off players bully type ,,,, whilst it's very clear he is a no nonsense tell it like it is manager who will get rid of players not putting it in or not doing their jobs it's also clear from the players already that there is far more to him than that ,, you can see he wants a bond with his players and players not only respect him they want to play for him ,,, I'm really glad Mel had the good judgment to look beyond the head coach label and grab man who is without doubt a manager coyr

Good post, sir.

Spot on.

On 8/3/2016 at 13:42, Animal is a Ram said:

"I feel fit and I feel stronger," said Ince.

"The gaffer had me running about in pre-season which we haven't really been used to over the last couple of years, so the lads are feeling fit and strong.

"Being able to get your second wind in games and being able to stay in games and then have the strength and the fitness to go again if you need to is vital."

Did anyone else notice this comparison of previous years' pre-season training sessions? Maybe it's just me but it sounds like the training wasn't that tough before and that maybe we weren't well prepared for the season ahead.  

Or am I just reading it wrong?!

4 minutes ago, Ramekin said:

Did anyone else notice this comparison of previous years' pre-season training sessions? Maybe it's just me but it sounds like the training wasn't that tough before and that maybe we weren't well prepared for the season ahead.  

Or am I just reading it wrong?!

Pure ball-work under McClaren and Clement.

I think its perhaps different aproaches, the mcclaren clement idea being build gradually into the season so you dont end up with all the energy expended february, as performing at the level of elite sports con only.be sustained so.long, or the more traditional approach of lots of pure CV and strength before the season starts, start as fit as you can then try to manage inevitable dips. 

Domt think one or other is "better" but depends on how you manage/apply the method. 

Archived